Gift for room steward

volmoma

We ALWAYS leave our room steward an additional tip. But this time In addition I wanted to leave a goodie bag of things that they would have to spend their own $$$ for. Any suggestions

This same question has been asked over and over again. The definitive answer is always more cash and a heartfelt spoken thank you to acknowledge their hard work on your behalf. They have very limited space to themselves on the ship and their purpose for spending months away from their families is to provide for them. Cash and a big thank you is the best reward for a job well done. Just treat them with well-deserved respect and give them money.

This same question has been asked over and over again. The definitive answer is always more cash and a heartfelt spoken thank you to acknowledge their hard work on your behalf. They have very limited space to themselves on the ship and their purpose for spending months away from their families is to provide for them. Cash and a big thank you is the best reward for a job well done. Just treat them with well-deserved respect and give them money.

This same answer has been posted in this thread over and over again.

Forgive me for asking a question that has been asked, evidently, many times before....I didn't become a member until earlier this year. I see you've been a member for many years, so I would imagine you have seen and read it all. I have cruised many times but I do enjoy talking to people on here, that being said, if your bored at the same question asked repeatedly, I suggest you skip over the topic and not chastise us for asking. Have a wonderful day..

Edited by volmoma

We ALWAYS leave our room steward an additional tip. But this time In addition I wanted to leave a goodie bag of things that they would have to spend their own $$$ for. Any suggestions

no one there wants actual gifts. Just do cash

Yes it has but since it has come up again the answer is the same: CA$H!

That's my point, it's abundantly clear and we should stop piling on the OP. People often post to a thread without so much as a cursory glance at the responses that have been posted to the thread before they jump in. And it's a pity.

The only thing I can suggest is instead of buying something like a shirt or magnet or something that is often suggested by the people who want to buy their stewards a gift, is offer to them when going to port to pick something up for them. If I happen to see my steward before leaving to head out for the day, I will offer to pick them up something. I do realize that they have time to leave the ship during the day occasionally, but not always and if they need or want something I have no problem getting it for them.

When this subject came up a while back I asked some one who should know the answer. They replied cash toward the end of the cruise or on the last day. They also said one of the best things you can do is mention them by name when you fill out your post cruise survey. The comments you make in those surveys go a long way towards promotion.

They also mentioned in some cultures giving a tip too early in the cruise would be an insult. It could be construed as having to bribe them to do their job.

AMEN and AMEN. We had a cabin steward on another line and through talking I found out that his cousin in India works for my company and I actually work with him frequently. Small world! I got back to work after vacation and mentioned it to my coworker. I asked him this very question. He said in addition to CASH, which is the #1 reason they are working so many hours, so many months, so far from home that they love being mentioned by name to their manager. If you take the time to write a comment card and TURN IT IN with their name on it and specifically why they went over and above or made your cruise special, that is the way to go for the "something extra".

He said they use comment cards along with other measures when it comes time for putting in bids for which ship they want and also for promos.

Who doesn't like something in writing to their boss when you do a good job? I know I do. More often than not, people will take the time to write a letter of complaint but not a letter of compliment.

Yes it has but since it has come up again the answer is the same: CA$H!

Exactly, and that's why many will give the answer of cash many many times because there will be someone who says:

I usually wrap cash around some form of chocolate...Hershey's bar, M&Ms, a small bag of Kisses, etc. Even if they don't like that particular chocolate, I'm sure they can give it away or trade it.

And now, many people will say that you don't know if someone eats or likes chocolate (or even allergic to it or to the ingredients in the candy). So now, you've given them something they won't use, rather than give them another few dollars (with which they can take into Walmart or another store when they have their rare port day off, and buy their favorite treat or a toiletry they need).

I usually try to have some paper and a pen in my little purse on board so I can write down the names of any crew members who went the extra distance for us so we can fill out a "consummate host" card to turn in to the front desk.

And just because you get an effusive thank you from a crew member after you give them a little trinket, it doesn't mean they love it.

I'll also add the similar warning of not handing out "two dollar bills or dollar coins" with the idea of trying to give something that a crew member will remember. No, they'll just internally groan as now they have to stand in line to get those exchanged for currency that's easily for them to use.

no one there wants actual gifts. Just do cash

So not true .

I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I know.

They want em.:D

And a dozen pair of gloves might have gotten thrown out too , AFTER the Canada / New England run was done.:rolleyes:

ON the other Hand- CASH - One of my most cherished gifts is a Philipino 20 three of the girls from the ship signed and gave to Us.

Edited by biker@sea

I've been told they really like to get international calling cards so they can call their family

Really? Have you ever tried to use one?

Could we just put this to rest once and for all.

The international calling cards you buy in the US work well. IN THE US. I have used them several times years ago to set vacation plans up.

HOWEVER, when I took those same cards with me, they NEVER worked in other countries. OR it would be a hundred minute card that would be worth 5 min in another country.

So not true .

I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I know.

They want em.:D

And a dozen pair of gloves might have gotten thrown out too , AFTER the Canada / New England run was done.:rolleyes:

ON the other Hand- CASH - One of my most cherished gifts is a Philipino 20 three of the girls from the ship signed and gave to Us.

Can we PLEASE stop this ridiculous, immature and idiotic notion that room stewards want:

Tee shirts

Chocolates

Cutesy things for their 2x4 cabin space

Calling cards

Selfies so they can remember you

Oranges

And all the rest of the stupid things passengers think they are being magnanimous by giving.

They only want cash, nothing else. These people are not your friends. They are employees of a company that has provided a service for which normal tipping standards apply. Do you tip oranges to the waiter at the local diner?

Don't see the point of getting hostile over something that is well intentioned. I think gifts come to mind because a lot of time is spent with these people, and to our minds they seem cut off from civilization, or at least easy retail shopping, while onboard the ship for so long. No need to yell at people about it, just make your point ("cash") and carry on.

We've asked our stewards if they need anything from shore. Our steward on our HI cruise asked for a T-shirt for his daughter. He gets her one from every new port.

Beyond that keep the grats on and do comment cards.

Let me just add.. please PLEASE don't be cute with the money. No one wants a Silver dollar or a $2 bill. They make you feel warm and fuzzy for giving them something to remember YOU by.... and they do. Just not so much in the way you think they do. They wonder why you think they would want to spend an hour at the bank to exchange money when you just could have give them a single $1 bill.

I once had a bus driver guy in Sydney Australia ask me if there really were $2 bills in the US. Turns out someone thought it cute to leave him that as a tip. His bank wouldn't take it. So for a couple of years he had tried to get rid of it.

Moral of the story: if you are going to tip, please tip in regular money not "special" denominations. If the guy you tip has to go extra steps to use it then it is no longer about the person you are rewarding. It is all about you.

OP, A Walmart gift card would a nice alternative to pre-handled cash. I know some people don't like the thought of using "dirty" cash or even using new cash from the bank because it is not considered a "thoughtful enough" gift.

Not everyone has easy access to Walmart, so a gift card there may be a complete waste. As for "dirty" cash, and not "thoughtful enough", these are people WORKING to make your vacation as pleasant as they can make it for you. They are NOT relatives. They are there to earn money, not receive trinkets, gum, candy, cigarettes, etc. Money! That is what they are there for, and money is the best thing to give. Period.