Gift for room steward

volmoma

Don't see the point of getting hostile over something that is well intentioned. I think gifts come to mind because a lot of time is spent with these people, and to our minds they seem cut off from civilization, or at least easy retail shopping, while onboard the ship for so long. No need to yell at people about it, just make your point ("cash") and carry on.

Well intentioned? Not really. Giving the staff something that the giver values, such as Harley t-shirts from a Harley biker, is not for the benefit of the recipient, but more for the benefit of the giver to give himself a "what a great guy I am" feeling.

A gift, if it is really meant as a gift, is one that is entirely for the recipient's benefit, and not in any way for the benefit of the giver. Period!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Don't see the point of getting hostile over something that is well intentioned. I think gifts come to mind because a lot of time is spent with these people, and to our minds they seem cut off from civilization, or at least easy retail shopping, while onboard the ship for so long. No need to yell at people about it, just make your point ("cash") and carry on.

You are quite right. I apologize for my abrasive tone. This topic was discussed to death earlier this year. It got out of hand with people IMHO trying to assuage their guilt over the long hours and living conditions most of the crew live under by buying or bringing gifts from home.

Many people feel an affinity for certain crew members, usually the room steward, and think a tangible gift better expresses their appreciation for the service that steward provided. This stems from the phrase: "cold hard cash". People don't want to be viewed as cold and hard but rather warm and fuzzy.

Two striking examples came to mind. One woman brought tee shirts, toiletries and other stuff. She honestly felt the crew were close friends. I felt obliged to remind her that close friends invite each other over for a BBQ. I asked her the last time her steward from Indonesia had her over for a party.

The second was a woman from Florida. She was proud of the oranges her state produces and wanted to share her largeees by handing out oranges to crew members including bartenders. She was convinced she was loved as a result because the recipients smiled and said thank you. What she didn't see was the orange being tossed in the can and cuss words in their native language.

People need to realize that room stewards and waiters serve thousands of people over a typical six month contract. It would delusional to think your steward remembers you longer then ten minutes after you disembark. Their smiles, the good morning Mrs. and all the rest is not necessarily a facade but is a process designed to elicit more money from you, the passenger.

Can we PLEASE stop this ridiculous, immature and idiotic notion that room stewards want:

Tee shirts

Chocolates

Cutesy things for their 2x4 cabin space

Calling cards

Selfies so they can remember you

Oranges

And all the rest of the stupid things passengers think they are being magnanimous by giving.

They only want cash, nothing else. These people are not your friends. They are employees of a company that has provided a service for which normal tipping standards apply. Do you tip oranges to the waiter at the local diner?

Wrong Soooooo Wrong!

We have Friends. One's that we have sailed with Many times over many years. Facebook helps keep it touch.

One bar tender was trilled to run us down, great us, then proudly open his uniform shirt to reveal the Harley logo on his chest like he was superman.

Edited by biker@sea

I once had a bus driver guy in Sydney Australia ask me if there really were $2 bills in the US. Turns out someone thought it cute to leave him that as a tip. His bank wouldn't take it. So for a couple of years he had tried to get rid of it.

I am sorry but I don't believe that part.

I worked in a bank in the days before PCs and we did a lot of foreign exchange, even then I had a book that I could open and check on any currency in the world as to what notes were legal tender. In the day and age of the internet I do not believe that any bank wouldn't be able,within a few minutes, to confirm if the US issued $2 notes. t would even give guidance to spoting counterfeits, including serial number information.

I worked in a bank in the days before PCs and we did a lot of foreign exchange, even then I had a book that I could open and check on any currency in the world as to what notes were legal tender. In the day and age of the internet I do not believe that any bank wouldn't be able,within a few minutes, to confirm if the US issued $2 notes. t would even give guidance to spoting counterfeits, including serial number information.

We had a a local Burger King call the cops on a guy who was trying to "pass" a $2 bill.

I know I was in my 20's before I encountered my first one, and thought it was a joke.

We ALWAYS leave our room steward an additional tip. But this time In addition I wanted to leave a goodie bag of things that they would have to spend their own $$$ for. Any suggestions

Yes, tell us why you started this topic. You're a veteran cruiser and know full well that the crew works for cash not goodies. My suggestion - give extra cash if you want them to have extra personal stuff.

Well intentioned? Not really. Giving the staff something that the giver values, such as Harley t-shirts from a Harley biker, is not for the benefit of the recipient, but more for the benefit of the giver to give himself a "what a great guy I am" feeling.

A gift, if it is really meant as a gift, is one that is entirely for the recipient's benefit, and not in any way for the benefit of the giver. Period!

My Dear staff member friend Margret from St. Lucia did seem very happy to give D.W. a lovely new ladies St. Lucia shirt . One large mens St. Lucia tee for me must have given her much more room in her cabin too.

I hope she felt great cuz she is! :) :)

This was true in the 1990s but doesn't apply today with cell phones and email.

This is so true. In the 90's, we used to ask a crew friend to purchase a bunch of telephone cards from their crew purser for us to provide as extra during the cruise for crew we knew from other cruises or who were taking particularly good care of us. Those cards were a far better price for many more minutes than we could buy at home. They loved them. Not any more. The crew all have the same electronics as the rest of us. They Skype and e-mail and telephone on their computers and cells just like we all do.

Sometimes we forget these are adult people working very hard to make a good living for their families. They want to be paid in cash the same as we do. They cannot feed their kids on a t-shirt, key chain, or other trinkets or food items some people think they will treasure. With cash, they buy what they want and need and send home what their families need.

Wrong Soooooo Wrong!

We have Friends. One's that we have sailed with Many times over many years. Facebook helps keep it touch.

One bar tender was trilled to run us down, great us, then proudly open his uniform shirt to reveal the Harley logo on his chest like he was superman.

Looking over your profile, I see that you now cruise Norwegian Dawn exclusively, 15 times in just three years. In your case, you and the crew would have ample time to get familiar with each other, allowing ample opportunities to know what each other likes. I would consider that an entirely different situation than having a first contact with a crew member for just a few days and then most likely never see again.

It's like the difference between the sales clerks at your favorite motorcycle dealer and sales clerks in a different state you once passed through. Apples and Oranges. On in your case, Harleys and Mopeds. :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

Let me just add.. please PLEASE don't be cute with the money. No one wants a Silver dollar or a $2 bill. They make you feel warm and fuzzy for giving them something to remember YOU by.... and they do.

What about a rare-date Carson City Morgan Dollar that they can sell on eBay for hundreds? ;)

I'd suggest you sell that rare Morgan and give the cash to the steward. He or she likely does not spend much of their precious Internet time fooling around on e-bay. :rolleyes: (I sincerely doubt you are seriously going to either give or sell that Morgan but seeing you asked....... :D )

Forgive me for asking a question that has been asked, evidently, many times before....I didn't become a member until earlier this year. I see you've been a member for many years, so I would imagine you have seen and read it all. I have cruised many times but I do enjoy talking to people on here, that being said, if your bored at the same question asked repeatedly, I suggest you skip over the topic and not chastise us for asking. Have a wonderful day..

"Like"

There have been lots of rude comments. This makes people afraid to ask questions cuz of the uncalled for comments.

Something we have done as an extra gesture is if we find out that our steward has time off to go ashore the next day, we ask him not to clean our cabin that morning, so that he can finish and go ashore that bit sooner. We're pretty tidy anyway, and often use our towels for a second time, so missing one morning doesn't cause any inconvenience for us.

I just related what he told me. I never followed him to the bank. He was our driver for the pick up and return. I guess he felt familiar enough to ask me on the return. I can neither confirm or deny :D I am just the messenger. However, the point is the same. Don't give cutesy money that the recipient then has to spend extra time changing in able for them to benefit. When traveling use common sense and denominations.

Edited by notentirelynormal

... Don't give cutesy money that the recipient then has to spend extra time changing in able for them to benefit. When traveling use common sense and denominations.

Exactly. Dollar coins, Kennedy halves, and $2 bills are "cute" denominations that are not commonly seen outside the US.

We had a a local Burger King call the cops on a guy who was trying to "pass" a $2 bill.

I know I was in my 20's before I encountered my first one, and thought it was a joke.

But we weren't talking about Burger King we were talking about Australian Banks.

But we weren't talking about Burger King we were talking about Australian Banks.

My bank won't accept unusual foreign currency. They have a list of typical currency denominations from some, but not all, countries and will only accept those on that list. Vietnamese currency is not accepted, for instance. I would not at all be surprised if a foreign bank would have the same rules for unusual currency denominations, even those from the US. As with US banks, they are under no obligation to accept unapproved foreign currency. There are dedicated currency exchange services that should be used for such transactions.

Like many people have said, don't use "cutsie" coins or bills. It only complicates the lives of the people you want to reward. Even here in the US such denominations are a nuisance. US cash register trays do not have compartments for $2 dollar bills or 50 cent pieces, causing extra handling when they are used to purchase items. True, they are legal currency and must be accepted, but that doesn't override the fact that they aren't the easiest to use in day to day activities.

Edited by SantaFeFan

My bank won't accept unusual foreign currency. They have a list of typical currency denominations from some, but not all, countries and will only accept those on that list. Vietnamese currency is not accepted, for instance. I would not at all be surprised if a foreign bank would have the same rules for unusual currency denominations, even those from the US. As with US banks, they are under no obligation to accept unapproved foreign currency. There are dedicated currency exchange services that should be used for such transactions.

Like many people have said, don't use "cutsie" coins or bills. It only complicates the lives of the people you want to reward. Even here in the US such denominations are a nuisance. US cash register trays do not have compartments for $2 dollar bills or 50 cent pieces, causing extra handling when they are used to purchase items. True, they are legal currency and must be accepted, but that doesn't override the fact that they aren't the easiest to use in day to day activities.

Last year we gave our steward a $20 bill on the 2nd to the last day and he seemed happy with that. I think that's the easiest, and most appreciated thank you gift.

Cathy

Edited by calisilent

No bank in Australia will take foreign coins.

But the claim that a Sydney bank wouldn't take a US$2 is crazy, it would take them a matter of minutes at most to confirm if it was legal tender in the USA or not.

You may be right about spending them in the USA but the post I responded to claimed that a Sydney bus driver couldn't exchange them at the bank, and that is rubbish.

Edited by GUT2407

Last year we gave our steward a $20 bill on the 2nd to the last day and he seemed happy with that. I think that's the easiest, and most appreciated thank you gift.

Cathy

That's what they want pictures of famous people on paper.

You know in the US dead presidents drawn in green ink, In aus all sorts of famous people on polymer.

Cathy

They "seemed" happy? What does that mean?

Edited by PoppyandNana

Forgive me for asking a question that has been asked, evidently, many times before....I didn't become a member until earlier this year. I see you've been a member for many years, so I would imagine you have seen and read it all. I have cruised many times but I do enjoy talking to people on here, that being said, if your bored at the same question asked repeatedly, I suggest you skip over the topic and not chastise us for asking. Have a wonderful day..

Also I have problems with the search engine here.

Wrong Soooooo Wrong!

Biker -- I have been chastized perhaps as much as you for stating my experiences in giving gifts to crew. Those who are berating you simply don't know the people you and I have dealt with.

I also take gifts that I know from experience the crew members like, use, and ask for more to give family members.

The opinions of those who cruise occasionally are much different from those who cruise enough to get to know the people and their families.

I have stopped posting the experiences I have had, but I still take gifts for the crew. Don't let the naysakers dissuade you because they simply do not know what they are talking about.