river cruises always calm?

meow!

I am a "poster child" for motion sickness. I have been on 6 river cruises and I never have had a twinge of motion sickness. I cannot do ocean cruising. I do not wear my sea bands while on the river cruise.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Shebely

I am a "poster child" for motion sickness. I have been on 6 river cruises and I never have had a twinge of motion sickness. I cannot do ocean cruising. I do not wear my sea bands while on the river cruise.

Hope this helps.

Thank you kindly!

We took our first river cruise last month on the Maria Theresa for 15 days. We were surprised at how smooth it was. I remember several times going to bed at night while the ship was docked. Then in the morning opening the curtains to see that we were moving. No engine sound, no vibration, no sense of motion of any kind. For all we knew we could have been in a hotel room!

Edited by No Spin

It is so smooth that you frequently only realise you are moving when you look out of the window and see the scenery going past.

Several times on our recent Danube cruise, we sailed during dinner or the entertainment aftewards and genuinely did not notice until some time afterwards. (If it was during the entertainment, we would usually pull in later to let the entertainers off at a dock in the middle of nowhere, but that was also only noticable if you happened to be looking out at the time).

We have never had rough waves on our river cruises, but I have read that some cruises that went to the Black Sea and went into the Sea had some serious problems.

We did Budapest to the Black Sea but the ship never entered the Sea!! However, when we did Russia we hit some heavy water in Lake Ladoga, which is huge. Otherwise, the worst you'll get on a river cruise is the wake from a passing boat!!

All my river cruises have been in Europe (Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Austria) and the only movement I've ever felt was going thru an occasional lock. I'm not a good sea sailor but do quite well on a river cruise.

Hi Meow! DH and I are very excited to have booked our first Viking river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in mid-October. I've been on several Caribbean cruises, but never a river cruise. Looking forward to it; I think I'll really love it!

• 4 weeks later...

The only roughness we encountered on our Rhine/Moselle cruise was crossing the Zuider Zee out of Amsterdam before we entered the Rhine. It was very windy that day so the sea was a bit rough. Smooth as glass for the rest of the cruise.