Best cabin organization tips for families?

jacksmom09

Hi! Family of 4 preparing for upcoming cruise and at wondering if anyone could share their tips for keeping cabins neat and organized? We will have a standard balcony room on Carnival Valor! Would like tips on how to maximize space and keep clutter down! TIA!

Buy strong magnets with metal clips - available at Target. They will stick to the cabin wall. Great to organize daily planner, kids club schedule, room service menu, etc.

Stand an large empty suitcase on end along the wall. Let the top open. Use as a hamper. I also throw souvenirs(unbreakable), empty shampoo bottles, etc in here - basically anything not needed for the rest if the trip.

Edited by #1TravelMom
Sp

We love over the door shoe organizers! They can hold so much! Also a cheap dry erase board for message instead of post its for us. I've been known to "misplace" post its. And a pop up hamper for dirty clothes. It also helped us to bring more than one swimsuit per person because they never seem to dry! Our family has done four in a balcony and four in an inside. Our biggest problem was my son's overuse of Axe :rolleyes:

I second the pop up hamper and over-the-door shoe organizer. If you're driving to the port, I love to pack as many clothes as possible already on wire hangers, folded into the suitcase. Then to unpack it's a matter of pulling out the clothes and putting them on the rod. The hanging clothes are easier to see and out of the way, and don't take up the valuable drawer space. Then I leave the wire hangers behind.

Best,

Mia

For the little ones pack their clothes by outfit in gallon ziplock bags, undies, socks, headbands included. Then when its time to get dressed instead of digging through the whole suitcase or closet just grab the bag for that day and voila! Dressed for the day without dumping everything out!

Ages? Sexes? Younger kids have different needs than makeup wearing teenaged girls.

Next to the Pullman should be a hook or two. The upper pockets are that person's nightstand. Use the other pockets for whatever.

Only bathroom 'duties' are done in the bathroom. All grooming gets done outside. Figure out your schedule. One could get ready first then wait somewhere else on the ship. Could use the Gym showers.

Divide the drawers and shelves and double/triple up on the hangers.

Figure out where you can combine things. Because you're family you could probably use the same shampoo but not deodorant.

There's one American 110v and one European 220v outlet. Many electronics are dual voltage, just need a plug adapter.

We don't completely unpack. On cruises where we might get rain we will leave our rain gear in the luggage, only taking them out if needed. Snorkel gear stays in the cases also. After they're no longer being used are finally dry, back in they go.

Edited by SadieN

Ages? Sexes? Younger kids have different needs than makeup wearing teenaged girls.

Next to the Pullman should be a hook or two. The upper pockets are that person's nightstand. Use the other pockets for whatever.

Only bathroom 'duties' are done in the bathroom. All grooming gets done outside. Figure out your schedule. One could get ready first then wait somewhere else on the ship. Could use the Gym showers.

Divide the drawers and shelves and double/triple up on the hangers.

Figure out where you can combine things. Because you're family you could probably use the same shampoo but not deodorant.

There's one American 110v and one European 220v outlet. Many electronics are dual voltage, just need a plug adapter.

We don't completely unpack. On cruises where we might get rain we will leave our rain gear in the luggage, only taking them out if needed. Snorkel gear stays in the cases also. After they're no longer being used are finally dry, back in they go.

Great ideas ! Thanks! It will be me, DH, DS(18), DD(9)! We will be on the Spa deck (though not a "spa" room) on Valor and are hoping there will still be showers that Dh and Ds can use?

Another vote for the over the door shoe organizer. I found it so handy for small frequently used things (sunscreen, lip balm, sun glasses, bandaids etc) and it kept the limited counter space in the cabin clear of clutter.

A lot of cabin stewards will take ur luggage n store it for u if u ask extra nice! If not, we put it under the bed! I always take an extra 2 sided outlet with me.... Electric outlets r few n far between! I also have special bottles of all different sizes I take with me and have re used many, many times! Why drag big bottles with u when u can just fill a small one? I always put alittle piece of plastic wrap over the top and screw the top on and put into a zip lock bag!!!! I have also read on here that if u ask the cabin steward to take out all the odds n ends they have in the room to advertise ( books, small folded cards, expensive bottled water, etc) they will take it out. Gonna try to have them removed on my next cruise! Just makes the cabin feel cluttered to me! Btw, most cruise lines provide shampoo, conditioner and bar soap if u aren't fussy about certain brands!

For the little ones pack their clothes by outfit in gallon ziplock bags, undies, socks, headbands included. Then when its time to get dressed instead of digging through the whole suitcase or closet just grab the bag for that day and voila! Dressed for the day without dumping everything out!

Your child allows that? I haven't had a say in what my kid wears since she was 18 months...I over pack her clothes, she picks them out each day.

I've never used a pop up hammer or over the door storage, never saw the need or wish I had one. I do unpack, mostly, tee's and shorts stay in the suitcase under the bed. Most stuff is in drawers or hang up. Swimsuits get hung up in the bathroom, ship towels on the floor under the sink, pool towel back of the door with the swimwear once dry. Dirty clothes on the closet floor.

We don't really plan or stress, so no highlighter or major planning. I felt too rushed 'having' to be somewhere at a certain time. Though some things, dinner/character breakfast/some kid stuff, we'll pay attention to.

I keep one drawer empty for dd's toys/stuff so we can attempt to clear of the bed, (sometimes we miss a few or don't get a chance to.)