Should you tip waitstaff for non-complimentary restaurants?

Given that gratuities are added to your account daily, is it customary to give an additional tip for fee restaurants? If the service is exceptional I usually offer additional tip regardless of whether it is a complimentary/for fee restaurant, but I question the idea that it is a must because it is a for fee restaurant.

Personally, I don't think that should matter.

Part of the fee is a gratuity for the servers. If service is truly outstanding we leave extra cash. If service is average, we don't; still knowing the wait staff is compensated.

As you said, it is not a must and it doesn't really matter.

Actually the cover charge is supposed to include the tip already. Anyway most people do tip extra.

The daily gratuity covers the wait staff in the main dining room (including Windjammer and other included restaurants) and your stateroom attendant (plus additional housekeeping). Again, many people chose to tip a little cash extra.

steamboats

Given that gratuities are added to your account daily, is it customary to give an additional tip for fee restaurants? If the service is exceptional I usually offer additional tip regardless of whether it is a complimentary/for fee restaurant, but I question the idea that it is a must because it is a for fee restaurant.

Personally, I don't think that should matter.

part of the fee is the gratuity. many, if not most, will tip additionally on top of that. we usually find we get that little extra.. prompter topping off of the water glasses, maybe an extra desert or side dish bought out, more attentive wine service.

we usually find we get that little extra.. prompter topping off of the water glasses, maybe an extra desert or side dish bought out, more attentive wine service.

So you add a little extra cash tip.

Curious, how does the wait staff know you are going to tip extra at the end of the meal?

We did for our Sabor waitstaff both times as they were OUTSTANDING. we also opted to use a WOW envelope for one girl at the promenade cafe who was always polite and smiling and took the time and remembered our names throughout the course of the week.

Even though the fee includes a portion for gratuity, we usually leave another $10 - $20 in cash (for the two of us), depending on how superior the service/experience was. On only one occasion did we have mediocre service and we did not leave an additional tip.