? Kobe tour : Mt, Rokko & Sake brewery

CJcruzer

has anyone done this excursion : Mt, Rokko and Sake Brewery with the cruiselines?

there is a note about 1.5 hours walking, but there is no indication of what we do/visit/walk to once up Mt, Rokko except a mention of beautiful views.

thank you

Carol

Hi Carol

Looks like no one is going to answer. We booked this Celebrity excursion since we have been to Kyoto several times (last time was November 2013) and have seen most of the shrines / temples. This was something different so we thought we go. Before I booked the excursion, I looked at what tripadvisors had on Mt. Rokko. I assume the bus drops you off and then you walk up to the observation area.

See you in about 90 days.

Ron

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3557.html

Hi Carol

Looks like no one is going to answer. We booked this Celebrity excursion since we have been to Kyoto several times (last time was November 2013) and have seen most of the shrines / temples. This was something different so we thought we go. Before I booked the excursion, I looked at what tripadvisors had on Mt. Rokko. I assume the bus drops you off and then you walk up to the observation area.

See you in about 90 days.

Ron

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3557.html

thanks Ron, another couple on the cruise along with us also are booked for this...as we are doing quite a few days precruise in Kyoto. thought it might be a bit of a changeup from temples, shrines, castles and gardens.

Carol

Hi Everyone:

I'm not on this cruise but will be visiting Kobe in March 2016. I'm planning on touring Kobe independently and maybe the following is helpful for you re Mt Rokko and the Sake Brewery:

I did a search to see where the Sake Brewery is located it is several train stops east of the cruise port terminal (exit at the Hanshin Sumiyoshi Station), not even walking distance from Mt. Rokko. It is open 9-4pm. The tour is free!

There is a cable car ride that takes you to the top of Mt Rokko (take a taxi from the ship to that location). Cable car is $1.75 Once on the top, you can walk approx 1 mile to the observatory for photos of the town if the weather is good. Return back to the ship via taxi.

I don't know how long you have in port, but another great place to visit is the Himeji Castle. You can reach it by bullet train, merely 50 minutes away. Trains run every 15 minutes. You exit at the Himeji Station and the castle is a 10 minute walk from the station. It is the only castle in Japan to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was completely renovated in 2014.

Have fun planning!

Hi Everyone:

I'm not on this cruise but will be visiting Kobe in March 2016. I'm planning on touring Kobe independently and maybe the following is helpful for you re Mt Rokko and the Sake Brewery:

I did a search to see where the Sake Brewery is located it is several train stops east of the cruise port terminal (exit at the Hanshin Sumiyoshi Station), not even walking distance from Mt. Rokko. It is open 9-4pm. The tour is free!

There is a cable car ride that takes you to the top of Mt Rokko (take a taxi from the ship to that location). Cable car is $1.75 Once on the top, you can walk approx 1 mile to the observatory for photos of the town if the weather is good. Return back to the ship via taxi.

I don't know how long you have in port, but another great place to visit is the Himeji Castle. You can reach it by bullet train, merely 50 minutes away. Trains run every 15 minutes. You exit at the Himeji Station and the castle is a 10 minute walk from the station. It is the only castle in Japan to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was completely renovated in 2014.

Have fun planning!

thanks, we have 2 days in Kobe, and I have planned DIY train to Himeji Castle for second day.

thanks for the other information regarding the brewery and Mt/observatory. We may just opt to head to osaka to visit that castle.

Carol

Forgot to mention, on Mt Rokko there is music box museum (International music box museum) and an area known as the Garden Terrace which is filled with shops and restaurants. These can all be accessed by the circular bus line that connects these and other sites (botanical gardens, observatory) which starts at the top when you get off the cable car.

FYI: THe castle in Osaka was completely rebuilt in 1950s, so nothing is authenitic, however the grounds are suppose to be beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Forgot to mention, on Mt Rokko there is music box museum (International music box museum) and an area known as the Garden Terrace which is filled with shops and restaurants. These can all be accessed by the circular bus line that connects these and other sites (botanical gardens, observatory) which starts at the top when you get off the cable car.

FYI: THe castle in Osaka was completely rebuilt in 1950s, so nothing is authenitic, however the grounds are suppose to be beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I read about the different venues available once up the mt, but there is no free time built into the ship tour. Perhaps going up to Mt Rokko independently, depending how clear a day it is OR go to Osaka to visit a shrine and castle.

thanks for the advice.

Carol

I read about the different venues available once up the mt, but there is no free time built into the ship tour. Perhaps going up to Mt Rokko independently, depending how clear a day it is OR go to Osaka to visit a shrine and castle.

thanks for the advice.

Carol

Hi Carol, It's Flo from your cruise! An independent excursion to Mt. Rokko sounds doable that first day. We also had been looking at the ship's tour.