Prices too high

mcrcruiser

"transatlantic this fall at $799pp with $225 OBC from the agency"

How Agency can afford to pay $225 OBC for $1600 cruise? - that is more that their commission........

Sorry about this, as it will most likely REALLY make your head hurt... :o

...I mistakenly UNDERSTATED the OBC I am getting for this cruise.

It's actually $275 OBC from the agency, combinable with the $250 OBC from shareholder. ;)

Teecee60, thank you for sharing your cruise booking experiences with us. Am I correct in thinking that in the previous amounts of obc you mentioned you were including the shareholders $250 credit?

The most important message I take away from your posts is that it is critical to find travel agencies that offer more generous obc and to look for price points below those listed on the Celebrity web site.

One of the online sites I normally use, is regularly invited to have representatives on Celebrity ships during a cruise and they are given conference room space for the entire time to book future cruises! On one of my Reflection transatlantics, OVER 25% of ALL passengers on board had booked though that one agency. They offer incredible deals with amazing amounts of OBC and or added perks. :eek:

Yes, you are correct. I have received the maximum of $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit, for every Celebrity cruise I have taken, save the first. (I didn't know the benefit even existed at the time.)

On some of the really incredible last minute deals, prices were so low that even the two online sites I use were not offering any more OBC. (The two best examples are the 23 night Century for $799pp and the 15 night Reflection for $449pp)

The other figures that I listed were a combination of OBC I received directly from the online agency, added to the shareholder benefit. My most recent cruise on the Silhouette, this spring's 14 night transatlantic for $699pp, had $200 OBC from the agency and $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit ;)

"cle guy" is correct in stating that *A*N*Y* OBC or perk you receive from Celebrity, negates your eligibility for the shareholder benefit. That's why it is extremely important to ask the agency if ANY of their listed OBC is a "pass through" from Celebrity. It also means ANY cruise booked with BBB automatically disqualifies you for the shareholder. :cool:

It IS possible to DECLINE a smaller OBC (or perk) from Celebrity, to allow receiving the larger shareholder benefit. My standard request for the shareholder benefit is saved as a draft in my email, and it only takes a minute or so to update the new cruise info and attach a new proof of ownership statement. My most recent requests were processed and awarded in less than 48 hours! :)

I must take exception to the statement from "cle guy" about lower rates/group bookings making you ineligible for the shareholder benefit.

I have booked cruises with a "military rate," an "over 55 rate," a "Tuesday Special rate," and a "group rate"... and have received the shareholder benefit on each and every one. I don't know if the RCCL team screwed up and awarded me the benefit by mistake, but I doubt that would happen multiple times.

Edited by teecee60

Teecee60 is it possible to email you to ask for the names of the agencies you use because I never get any good deals and end up paying the price the cruise companies charge even though I book it through a travel agent. I have to admit when I am on a cruise there are always lots of people who want you to know what a good bargain they got for that cruise.

I live in England and have used a few different agents but not received any good deals for them. I have 2 cruises booked which are due to be paid within the next 2 weeks. If I cancel I will lose the deposit I paid. I thinking booking cruises is slightly different for us.

I would really appreciate it if I could find an agent somewhere to get a better deal and get some OBC.

Thanks

Teecee60 is it possible to email you to ask for the names of the agencies you use because I never get any good deals and end up paying the price the cruise companies charge even though I book it through a travel agent. I have to admit when I am on a cruise there are always lots of people who want you to know what a good bargain they got for that cruise.

I live in England and have used a few different agents but not received any good deals for them. I have 2 cruises booked which are due to be paid within the next 2 weeks. If I cancel I will lose the deposit I paid. I thinking booking cruises is slightly different for us.

I would really appreciate it if I could find an agent somewhere to get a better deal and get some OBC.

Thanks

You don't have to book your cruises in the UK, you can use a US TA (this is dependent on cruise lines as not all allow booking in The States - X and Royal do though ;)).

It's actually $275 OBC from the agency, combinable with the $250 OBC from shareholder. ;)

One of the online sites I normally use, is regularly invited to have representatives on Celebrity ships during a cruise and they are given conference room space for the entire time to book future cruises! On one of my Reflection transatlantics, OVER 25% of ALL passengers on board had booked though that one agency. They offer incredible deals with amazing amounts of OBC and or added perks. :eek:

Yes, you are correct. I have received the maximum of $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit, for every Celebrity cruise I have taken, save the first. (I didn't know the benefit even existed at the time.)

On some of the really incredible last minute deals, prices were so low that even the two online sites I use were not offering any more OBC. (The two best examples are the 23 night Century for $799pp and the 15 night Reflection for $449pp)

The other figures that I listed were a combination of OBC I received directly from the online agency, added to the shareholder benefit. My most recent cruise on the Silhouette, this spring's 14 night transatlantic for $699pp, had $200 OBC from the agency and $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit ;)

"cle guy" is correct in stating that *A*N*Y* OBC or perk you receive from Celebrity, negates your eligibility for the shareholder benefit. That's why it is extremely important to ask the agency if ANY of their listed OBC is a "pass through" from Celebrity. It also means ANY cruise booked with BBB automatically disqualifies you for the shareholder. :cool:

It IS possible to DECLINE a smaller OBC (or perk) from Celebrity, to allow receiving the larger shareholder benefit. My standard request for the shareholder benefit is saved as a draft in my email, and it only takes a minute or so to update the new cruise info and attach a new proof of ownership statement. My most recent requests were processed and awarded in less than 48 hours! :)

I must take exception to the statement from "cle guy" about lower rates/group bookings making you ineligible for the shareholder benefit.

I have booked cruises with a "military rate," an "over 55 rate," a "Tuesday Special rate," and a "group rate"... and have received the shareholder benefit on each and every one. I don't know if the RCCL team screwed up and awarded me the benefit by mistake, but I doubt that would happen multiple times.

So your OBCs contain the share holder benefit & this is why you get a big OBC combining your share holder OBC along with the TA OBC . Unfortunately both the stocks of RCL & CCL are far too high in price ,at this time to justify any one buying stock in either company .The risk far exceeds the benefits .apparently you started owning shares in these companies a long time ago when the shares were cheap. That is good for you ;but ,not at todays prices .

What we do is to send the cruise to bid & get the best OBC & lowest price from the bid process . Unlike you we book veranda cabins .Thus our per person rate is higher ;but ,my wife loves to see the ocean .

Now that we are looking for local cruises from West Coast ports ,we are unlikely to sail much with Celebrity unfortunately . Our choices will be HAL ,Princess or Carnival for the most part .Ocassionally Norwegian sails from west coast ports ;but ,it is rare that they do port ships here .

Booking from our local west coast ports will save us considerable in no air fares

Most people simply REFUSE to believe this can be done on an ongoing basis. I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you didn't know, that whether you go to the Cruise Line web site, your local travel agent, or any online Travel Agency website, the advertised prices for cruises are (almost) ALWAYS "base fares" (that DO INCLUDE port charges) but do NOT include taxes and tips. :rolleyes:

Airfares, hotels and transfers are not included in cruise prices either, even though (almost all) people pay them. :cool:

If you don't want to discuss prices, then don't. But why are there so many threads discussing prices?

But PLEASE, feel free to continue to pay those ridiculously high prices... and complain about it... while poking fun at me. ;) :D :rolleyes:

I certainly believe you and agree. Deals are out there, you just have to search for them and be flexible. (And many transatlantic cruises are spectacular deals, but require quite a bit of time off and lots of days at sea - not everyone's cup of tea). I'm 43 and have more time than money. We enjoy cruises and getting the most for our dollars spent. I frequently search cruise pricing on Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean, Transatlantic, etc. You never know when you're going to find the deal (and it's usually not under one of the promos). It's like finding the needle in the haystack. We've done 10 night Hawaii for $599 pp, 7 night Europe for $449 pp, Caribbean $299 pp, Alaska 7 night cruise with 5 night land tour $1099 pp (and included airfare from Seattle to Anchorage). And lots of times, it's finding and acceptable airfare on top of the good cruise rate (That's where Choice Air really helps on international flights. Right now I can book a 12 night transatlantic Rome to San Juan for $475 pp or 14 night Tampa to Barcelona for $599 pp. We rarely decide we want to go somewhere and then look for the trip. We search for various cruise itineraries and then let pricing decide where we are going.

(That's where Choice Air really helps on international flights. Right now I can book a 12 night transatlantic Rome to San Juan for $475 pp or 14 night Tampa to Barcelona for $599 pp. We rarely decide we want to go somewhere and then look for the trip. We search for various cruise itineraries and then let pricing decide where we are going.

Does anyone know if booking with Cruise Air, do those fares still collect frequent mile points and are they fares that FF points can be used for upgrades etc?

Does anyone know if booking with Cruise Air, do those fares still collect frequent mile points and are they fares that FF points can be used for upgrades etc?

From Choice Air's FAQ:

Q: Can I use frequent flyer miles to upgrade my seat?

A: In most instances, our air carrier contracts restrict you from using any additional incentives, coupons and mileage discounts. However, you may contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk for information about seat upgrades. Additionally, you are able to add your airline frequent traveler number in ChoiceAir to earn miles for future discounts.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=627

I would have Choice Air hold the itinerary, get all the details, then call the airline to confirm FF earning/upgrades.

From Choice Air's FAQ:

Q: Can I use frequent flyer miles to upgrade my seat?

A: In most instances, our air carrier contracts restrict you from using any additional incentives, coupons and mileage discounts. However, you may contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk for information about seat upgrades. Additionally, you are able to add your airline frequent traveler number in ChoiceAir to earn miles for future discounts.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=627

I would have Choice Air hold the itinerary, get all the details, then call the airline to confirm FF earning/upgrades.

This was what I was expecting. Sometimes yes, others no. Much like hotel sites that sell last minute hotels rooms - no hotel points.

Thanks for the info!

Is this the agency who advertises on CC and has a large cancelation fee (and I think charges for any changes)?

Is this the agency who advertises on CC and has a large cancelation fee (and I think charges for any changes)?

They do have a CANCELLATION fee, but I NEVER book a cruise unless I plan on going. That company will USUALLY waive the fee if you TRANSFER to different/later itinerary if a true emergency arises. ;)

I certainly believe you and agree. Deals are out there, you just have to search for them and be flexible. (And many transatlantic cruises are spectacular deals, but require quite a bit of time off and lots of days at sea - not everyone's cup of tea). I'm 43 and have more time than money. We enjoy cruises and getting the most for our dollars spent. I frequently search cruise pricing on Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean, Transatlantic, etc. You never know when you're going to find the deal (and it's usually not under one of the promos). It's like finding the needle in the haystack. We've done 10 night Hawaii for $599 pp, 7 night Europe for $449 pp, Caribbean $299 pp, Alaska 7 night cruise with 5 night land tour $1099 pp (and included airfare from Seattle to Anchorage). And lots of times, it's finding and acceptable airfare on top of the good cruise rate (That's where Choice Air really helps on international flights. Right now I can book a 12 night transatlantic Rome to San Juan for $475 pp or 14 night Tampa to Barcelona for $599 pp. We rarely decide we want to go somewhere and then look for the trip. We search for various cruise itineraries and then let pricing decide where we are going.

That Brilliance T/A would be on my list if I didn't have a 35 night B2B T/P on Explorer OTS (for only $1675pp) already booked!:D

Choice Air has return flights to Tampa from Barcelona for the Brilliance at only $446pp :cool:

Edited by teecee60

... Unfortunately both the stocks of RCL & CCL are far too high in price ,at this time to justify any one buying stock in either company ...

:confused: ??? :confused: If you cruise frequently the shareholder Benefit (OBC) is well worth owning the stock. Even at today's prices (CCL = $51.90 and RCL = $88.80) owning 100 shares of the company's stock would give you ... if you sail twice with $250 OBC each time ... on CCL that's a 9.6% return and on RCL it would be a 5.6% return. That's not too shabby! Our cruises this year will have given us $1,100 OBC ... a 21.2% return on our CCL stock.

And this doesn't even take into consideration dividends or price appreciation.

:confused: ??? :confused: If you cruise frequently the shareholder Benefit (OBC) is well worth owning the stock. Even at today's prices (CCL = $51.90 and RCL = $88.80) owning 100 shares of the company's stock would give you ... if you sail twice with $250 OBC each time ... on CCL that's a 9.6% return and on RCL it would be a 5.6% return. That's not too shabby! Our cruises this year will have given us $1,100 OBC ... a 21.2% return on our CCL stock.

And this doesn't even take into consideration dividends or price appreciation.

And today or yesterday, RCL's stock even at this high, was changed from hold to buy by Goldman Sachs and Sunburst.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, well, you have to pay taxes and tips, so I will continue to refuse to believe that this can be done on an ongoing basis, because it can't. If I arbitrarily exclude things from the price, I cruise for free*!

* Plus charges, fees, tips, and taxes, of course.

LOL could not agree more . The OP is dreaming :p

I just had this UNBELIEVABLE *D*R*E*A*M* about a B2B cruise on RCCL Explorer OTS... from an online T/A.

9 October, 14 night cruise Barcelona to Dubai $419pp or $29.92pp/night with $125 agency OBC + $250 shareholder OBC :D

23 October, 11 night cruise Dubai to Singapore $424pp or $38.54pp/night with $150 agency OBC + $200 shareholder OBC :)

Together that's 25 nights for $843pp (or 33.70pp/night) :eek: with $725 OBC.

(You could extend for ANOTHER 10 nights (for a total of 35 nights) to Perth Australia for $1005pp with ANOTHER $375 OBC)

Flights to Barcelona from many US cities, through Choice Air are at or below $350pp.

There's NO place like home...There's NO place like home...There's NO place like home...

Edited by teecee60

I have been watching that Explorer Suez on the 9th Oct. as a ex UK trip.

It has been selling OK since the price drops so mostly Balcony left.

All in we hit around $1200 for a $420 face value cruise

Taxes on the first leg are $323pp alone.

With the second leg taxes are a little more reasonable at $116pp you have to factor in the Indian Visa, for UK people that will be around $140 US I think is about 1/2 that.

Don't start saying no one likes to fly any more for one reason or another...you mean YOU don't care to fly...In my opinion people do not fly commercially for pleasure and have no more problem with flying than they ever did. Although I would guess......that most are not happy with how Airlines are charging for baggage these days

We were not comparing one region vs another region of the world .We were simply giving illustrations of how we booked cruises . Since Celebrity does not do west coast cruises we have decided to use local cruise lines to avoid flying when ever we can avoid to fly .

Celebrity does only Alaska & Panama canal cruises which are the closest . However ,in our case we have done 4 Alaska cruises & two Panama Canal cruises .Thus ,leaving us no Celebrity new options .:o

Cruising on local cruise lines like HAL & Princess for R/T LA or SD cruise piers then gives us a no flying cruise:D .Todays flights are over crowded with little room for carry ons & other related problems ,.Most people do not like to fly any longer because of those reasons & the very busy airports with long security check lines:eek:

PS the new Celebrity BBB is now increasing their prices across all cabins except inside cabins .It is not the pre post recession price points ,it is the BBB built in price increases . These are the real price increases . We prefer cruise lines who act more traditionally . We have that experience having done 66 cruises with a elite + level on Celebrity with over 30 cruises