HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

So you think that dressing those two in tuxedos would make a difference? In what?

I didn't say anything at all. I did was asking a question. Those baggy pants..... seems like kids like them. Do YOU think they would be appropriate in the MDR?

You should have taken a pic. A few posters on this thread like the think it doesn't happen.

Or perhaps it is because many of us have done many cruises and have not seen it. and say so. Posters on cruise critic are usually seasoned cruisers and are able to report what they have and have not seen.

Lizzie: Maybe you have not seen it because it is not important to you and easy to ignore. For those of uS who consider it an issue, we notice it when it happens.

Edited by JPH814

Can you believe it? Nearly 4 months and over 40,000 views later, the thread (debate) continues. Having someone in the dining room not adhering to the "requested" or "suggested" dress code is not going to make or break my evening; to me it just shows a lack of respect for those making the request or suggestion.

I've experienced some amazing conversations with folks who couldn't afford clean clothes, let alone a tuxedo or gown, and have had some appalling ones with others who could tell what time of day and precisely on which hillside the grapes were picked for the wine they were drinking.

Carry on.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I didn't say anything at all. I did was asking a question. Those baggy pants..... seems like kids like them. Do YOU think they would be appropriate in the MDR?

If I were the Matre'd, I would refuse entry as I think this would fall under the prohibition of distressed jeans or jeans with holes, tears or embroidery as stated by the dress code.

If I were the Matre'd, I would refuse entry as I think this would fall under the prohibition of distressed jeans or jeans with holes, tears or embroidery as stated by the dress code.

OK... if the pants were OK but still baggy pants?

Edited by Topsham

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If you are trying to say that these two would be allowed into the MDR under the new code but not under the previous code, please detail the differences between the codes that would have kept them out.

As long as they were "nice" or "dressy" baggy pants and the wearer verifies that they are forced to wear non baggy pants to work. They must also show a picture of their luggage on the airport scale weighing exactly 50 pounds.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Lizzie: Maybe you have not seen it because it is not important to you and easy to ignore. For those of uS who consider it an issue, we notice it when it happens.

I have not seen many things that people report seeing. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen but i can respect the fact without trying to minimize that persons experience. Others, not so much.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If you are trying to say that these two would be allowed into the MDR under the new code but not under the previous code, please detail the differences between the codes that would have kept them out.

Again... you are not answering a simple question. I'm not talking about 'codes'. Would YOU be quite happy with ANY people at YOUR table for the dining room at ANY time?

I was looking at the requirements to visit an Indonesian Temple on my next cruise....they don't allow shorts. I wonder if they would mind if I wore shorts anyway - dressy shorts of course! After all, isn't my comfort more important than their dress code? Would it be OK if I show them a Bermuda Passport?

Oh.....I guess that's different - or is it?

We were seated with 4 kids dressed just like that on a formal night . I wasn't thrilled, but guess what? They were nice kids and we saw them in the club later and had a drink. This wasn't on HAL so I wasn't THAT surprised.. We survived the horror of their attire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the requirements to visit an Indonesian Temple on my next cruise....they don't allow shorts. I wonder if they would mind if I wore shorts anyway - dressy shorts of course! After all, isn't my comfort more important than their dress code? Would it be OK if I show them a Bermuda Passport?

As long as they are dressy or "nice" shorts I'm sure you'll be fine;). Make sure you take your crocs too :D;). It's your vacation and you paid for it after all.

I think I am correct in assuming that no one here suggests that wearing swimwear to the MDR would be appropriate. If that is the case, then the issue isn't whether or not there should be a dress code, but what the dress code should be.

Once you concede a dress code -at some level- is appropriate - then the argument that it is ok to not comply with a particular dress code that you don't like is inconsistent. The " anti dress code" logic often used - how does what I wear affect you - could be equally applied to someone who wants to wear swimwear in the MDR.

If you want to argue for no dress codes anywhere - fine - but arguing that my personal dress code is fine and HALs is not seems silly. HAL owns the restaurant so they get to set the rules. Everyone should comply or go to a restaurant where the dress code matches their personal preference.

This is VERY well put! I would not want to see people in swimwear in the MDR. The only question is where to draw the line.

Bermuda passport or no.... if you want in the Vatican... NO SHORTS!

Bermuda passport or no.... if you want in the Vatican... NO SHORTS!

How does wearing shorts in the Vatican ruin someone's religious experience? (Tongue in cheek) but you get my point.

The owner of the church, restaurant, cruise line gets to set the dress code. If people don't like it, there are PLENTY of other choices.

I think I am correct in assuming that no one here suggests that wearing swimwear to the MDR would be appropriate. If that is the case, then the issue isn't whether or not there should be a dress code, but what the dress code should be.

Once you concede a dress code -at some level- is appropriate - then the argument that it is ok to not comply with a particular dress code that you don't like is inconsistent. The " anti dress code" logic often used - how does what I wear affect you - could be equally applied to someone who wants to wear swimwear in the MDR.

If you want to argue for no dress codes anywhere - fine - but arguing that my personal dress code is fine and HALs is not seems silly. HAL owns the restaurant so they get to set the rules. Everyone should comply or go to a restaurant where the dress code matches their personal preference.

That's a fine argument but it simply doesn't address the questions of how HAL should arrive at the optimal dress code. Should the objective be to maximize revenues or customer satisfaction or something else?

There is also the issue that if HAL can set the rules, then it is just as silly to argue for tuxedos as it is to argue for shorts isn't it?

I have one other question. If you think customers should just accept the dress code, they do you also think customers should also just accept the quality of food, how hard/soft the beds are, or any other service provided by the cruise line? Or, should the customers make their desires know?

Edited by RocketMan275

That's a fine argument but it simply doesn't address the questions of how HAL should arrive at the optimal dress code. Should the objective be to maximize revenues or customer satisfaction or something else?

There is also the issue that if HAL can set the rules, then it is just as silly to argue for tuxedos as it is to argue for shorts isn't it?

Perhaps we should ask HAL for a response on this. I would guess they want to increase overall customer satisfaction, but that is just my conjecture.

As for arguing for shorts as the standard, yes indeed this is the place to do that. If you are a shorts lover, go for it!

HAL owns the line and they can establish the code however they wish. I will respect their rule and honor their guidelines. If I don't like their decision - I will vote with my wallet and not cruise again with HAL. I would not put the the Matre de in a tuff spot by hoping he will allow me to violate the well publicized rule.

I am a supporter of people following the dress code - period.

How does wearing shorts in the Vatican ruin someone's religious experience? (Tongue in cheek) but you get my point.

Yes it does. You get in the Vatican. You arrive in the Holy City and you get that feeling hat you must have done something wrong. You are wearing shorts and you now have to do penance... kneeling on a cold stone floor. A bit like wearing the wrong clothes on a formal night in the MDR!!!!

So, are you asking if there are some I would prefer not to be at my table?

My question was quite simple. If a couple of passengers come to sit at your table and baggy pants down to their knees.... would you be happy or would you not be happy OR would you wish them had worn their collared shirt and ironed ... as you have?

Trying to help CC out. They seem to be having server issues. There are a lot of posts in the Google cache that aren't on the boards.

First, please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond. The week after Thanksgiving is always busy around here.

========

You're very, very welcome. As people mentioned, we're buddies for life. I only wish that we weren't going away for the holidays. You and the family could have swung by and tried some of our famous egg nog. It's noggalicious.

To recap - I wrote:

You said -

You're clearly stating your own opinion about IG's post. (And IG, please don't be afraid to post. You have a lot of support here.)

avian777, you are telling us that, in your opinion, earljr is spot on, but not until you said the same thing as well.

You said:

Did you cite earljr as a supporting reference? Yes. But you stated your own personal opinion before throwing support behind earljr.

Now, in the interest of being thorough and complete - and totally showing off my web-ninja multiquote skills - here's what earljr originally said about Ithaca Gal's post.

It's what got the ball rolling:

Now I've never met earljr (or earlsr or earliii for that matter) but I honestly cannot fathom why he took offense to IG's saying complimentary things about her fellow cruisers. I've met IG briefly last year. She's very nice. There's nothing in her post that I would have taken to be offensive. She had nice things to say about 99% of her fellow cruisers. She didn't say anything disparaging about the rest. Is that a problem? I wouldn't think so, but...

Some people look for reasons to be offended, hurt, and slighted. They often find them. (Not you, because we're thunder buddies. Nor anyone else who's reading this for that matter. It's those other people, and I think they know who they are.)

For the record, we happen to feel that there are things that can affect our enjoyment of the dining experience - and not just on formal or gala nights. On any night. We happen to be of the opinion that fellowship, fine china, nice linens, fine wine, good stemware, nice flatware, and candles** can make for a nicer evening. We happen to think that nicely dressed dinner companions add to the ambiance. (Which is why we always try to look our best. It's out of respect for those around us.***)

If other people feel differently from us, we're okay with that. It's not going to ruin our vacation. If people decide to come to the dining room in their bath robes, it's not going to ruin our vacation. It'll give us something to talk about when dinner conversation hits that inevitable awkward lull.

To quote G. Bruce Boyer (who, as the Editor of Town an Country and several best selling books on how to dress spanning from 1985 to 2013, which may give hime a slight bit of authority in these matters -

"It is both delusional and stupid to think that clothes don't really matter and we should all wear whatever we want. Most people don't take clothing seriously enough, but whether we should or not, clothes do talk to us and we make decisions based on people's appearances."

**I know they don't have candles on the ship. It doesn't ruin our evening, but candlelight beats no candlelight beats fluorescent for us.

***I hope you're not bothered by our definition of respect. I'd be offended if you were.

Let us all gather 'round and sing!

Away on a Cruise Ship***

Away on a cruise ship, where I make my bed -

I do not just unpack, my stuff is outspread...

The bars and the lounges, are where I can play,

And when I get hungry, I hit the buffet...

The people around me, they moan and they b!tch...

"This formal attire, it's making me itch."

I bid them to fear not, for help's on the way...

'Cause there's a new dress code and it is Ga-lay.****

They rip off their dress clothes.

They sing and they dance...

But they're kinda angry,

They want their short pants...

They've dressed their whole work life.

They're angry. They're owed.

But now they are happy...

They've killed the dress code!

****Yeah, I know. It stretches the rhyme, but if you sing it out loud, you'll find that it works.

***Apologies to Martin Luther, J.E. Clark, and C. H. Gabriel.

========

Hoping to do great things with the 12 Days. :)

Meanwhile, back on the ranch....

Away to the window, I ran with a flash. Tore open the window, and threw up.

I have tapatalk and half the threads I click on say removed.....