Has HAL gotten rid of its "house" wines by the glass?

elycelynne

I happened to notice that there was nothing listed on the latest drink menus posted (by rogerjett, I believe). I was looking for wines by the glass that would qualify under the Signature Beverage Package. They used to have a pinot grigio that was pretty good and also very affordable. Now it appears that the only white wines by the glass that qualify are one Riesling and a couple of chardonnays, which I generally don't like nearly as much as a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc.

So are the house wines totally gone, or do they still exist but aren't "officially on the menu"?

Edited by elycelynne

Hi, we were on the MS Ryndam 3 weeks ago and purchased the SBP. Red wine by the glass included a Merlot and a Cabenet Sauvignon. White wine by the glass included Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Processco. I think there was a rose included as well.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by luvseaair

I happened to notice that there was nothing listed on the latest drink menus posted (by rogerjett, I believe). I was looking for wines by the glass that would qualify under the Signature Beverage Package. They used to have a pinot grigio that was pretty good and also very affordable. Now it appears that the only white wines by the glass that qualify are one Riesling and a couple of chardonnays, which I generally don't like nearly as much as a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc.

So are the house wines totally gone, or do they still exist but aren't "officially on the menu"?

I noticed that too but I think they will have wines not listed as evidenced by luvseaair's experience.

Hi, we were on the MS Ryndam 3 weeks ago and purchased the SBP. Red wine by the glass included a Merlot and a Cabenet Sauvignon. White wine by the glass included Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Processco. I think there was a rose included as well.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

We also had a very nice Sauvignon Blanc by the glass in the MDR which was included in SBP but it didn't seem to be available in any of the bars

The last I heard, HAL was using Santa Carolina for house wines.

They were in ?January. Disgusting wines. I had one sip of the white, and handed the glass back to the bartender. The red was like paint stripper. I wonder if they will be offering a better selection for SBP?

They were in ?January. Disgusting wines. I had one sip of the white, and handed the glass back to the bartender. The red was like paint stripper. I wonder if they will be offering a better selection for SBP?

We had a similar experience on Celebrity, even with their upgraded drink package. When sailing HAL and Princess we usually bring our own wines. This time I am traveling with my Mom, so to ease logistics we will purchase an Admirals package. I will cart along a travel aerator to try to make the swill a bit more palatable :).

What do you normally drink at home?

NCL's Unlimited Beverage Card includes all drinks up to $11 per drink and that includes almost everything most would order. If you order something costing more than $11, they only charge you the amount of the overage. HAL does not credit the $7 or $8 but rather charges the full amount of the drink.

I agree with Sun~ above about not much caring for the Santa Carolina house wines on HAL.

Edited by sail7seas

What do you normally drink at home?

My "house wines" are Kim Crawford, Oyster Bay or Stoneleigh whites for my New Zealand faves (except Chardonnay unless it's unoaked) and pretty much any Pinot Gris, Sauvignon blanc, or dry Riesling out of BC Okanagan. Reds are more of a challenge for me. I like most Merlots, every red Zin out of California that I've tried, the better malbecs and occasionally a blend so long as the cab sauv is either absent or in the smallest proportion. I've tried many other reds from many other places but can never remember which ones I liked and which ones were not to my taste. I love sparkling, prosecco and brut but not sweet or moscato. I enjoy port and sherry. How will I do?

My "house wines" are Kim Crawford, Oyster Bay or Stoneleigh whites for my New Zealand faves (except Chardonnay unless it's unoaked) and pretty much any Pinot Gris, Sauvignon blanc, or dry Riesling out of BC Okanagan. Reds are more of a challenge for me. I like most Merlots, every red Zin out of California that I've tried, the better malbecs and occasionally a blend so long as the cab sauv is either absent or in the smallest proportion. I've tried many other reds from many other places but can never remember which ones I liked and which ones were not to my taste. I love sparkling, prosecco and brut but not sweet or moscato. I enjoy port and sherry. How will I do?

;) I'd share a glass with you any day. :) ... but for the red Zin.

;) I'd share a glass with you any day. :) ... but for the red Zin.

I know! Not to everyone's taste I have found to my amazement. It's so subjective really. I'd never pass a blind taste test.

Edited by chefestelle

So you don't like Bordeaux reds, but do like Malbec? Interesting...

We also had a very nice Sauvignon Blanc by the glass in the MDR which was included in SBP but it didn't seem to be available in any of the bars

It's usually Nobilo - or at least it was most of last year.

I know! Not to everyone's taste I have found to my amazement. It's so subjective really. I'd never pass a blind taste test.

I'm in for Zin. When the question is, "Will you be having the red or the white?" - The answer is "Yes."

Based on my most current information on HAL's House Wines, here are the Wine Spectator ratings for the most recent vintages. The Cab was an 89 last year, but 86 is still considered very good. The Merlot was the lowest rating, but still good.

Wine - Score - Notes

Viña Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc Leyda Valley Reserva 86

Features a crisp allure to the mix of tropical fruit and green apple flavors. Smoky notes show on the finish, with plenty of green and herbal accents. Drink now. 24,464 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Reserva 86

Features plenty of black olive notes to the dried berry and green pepper flavors. The mocha-filled finish has firm tannins. Drink now. 47,847 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Chardonnay Casablanca Valley Reserva 87

The ripe melon, almond and baked apple flavors mix easily in this medium-bodied white. Offers notes of dried mango and spice, with hints of ginger on the finish. Drink now. 3,250 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Merlot Colchagua Valley Reserva 83

Medium-bodied, with green bean notes to the plum and red berry flavors. Short finish. Drink now. 8,583 cases made.

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Regional Collection 85

Green pear, lemon zest, and grapefruit flavors are complemented by a distinctive grassy note and juicy acidity. Drink now. 320,000 cases imported

Based on my most current information on HAL's House Wines, here are the Wine Spectator ratings for the most recent vintages. The Cab was an 89 last year, but 86 is still considered very good. The Merlot was the lowest rating, but still good.

Wine - Score - Notes

Viña Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc Leyda Valley Reserva 86

Features a crisp allure to the mix of tropical fruit and green apple flavors. Smoky notes show on the finish, with plenty of green and herbal accents. Drink now. 24,464 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Reserva 86

Features plenty of black olive notes to the dried berry and green pepper flavors. The mocha-filled finish has firm tannins. Drink now. 47,847 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Chardonnay Casablanca Valley Reserva 87

The ripe melon, almond and baked apple flavors mix easily in this medium-bodied white. Offers notes of dried mango and spice, with hints of ginger on the finish. Drink now. 3,250 cases made.

Viña Santa Carolina Merlot Colchagua Valley Reserva 83

Medium-bodied, with green bean notes to the plum and red berry flavors. Short finish. Drink now. 8,583 cases made.

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Regional Collection 85

Green pear, lemon zest, and grapefruit flavors are complemented by a distinctive grassy note and juicy acidity. Drink now. 320,000 cases imported

Interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

Of course, all of us have variable tastes. :)

I wonder which superb vintages HAL serves by the glass?

Edited by sail7seas

Some think wine tasting is a bit of a myth. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, I am among the ones that usually can't tell the difference between a ten dollar bottle and a hundred dollar bottle.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

That can only be fortunate. No matter what you're served, you'll be happy!

That can only be fortunate. No matter what you're served, you'll be happy!

I'm one of those people that can't tell difference between whole milk or skim milk or bud light and coors light or pepsi or coke much less wines. In the end it all tastes pretty good to me so I just go with the flow.

But I have a lot of friends who claim they can tell most anything. I did have some fun with a couple of them once with some blind taste testing of beers and wines......they were embarrassed that they didn't seem to do very well themselves. But I have one friend that can pick out wines almost 100% of the time in blind taste tests.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm one of those people that can't tell difference between whole milk or skim milk or bud light and coors light or pepsi or coke much less wines. In the end it all tastes pretty good to me so I just go with the flow.

But I have a lot of friends who claim they can tell most anything. I did have some fun with a couple of them once with some blind taste testing of beers and wines......they were embarrassed that they didn't seem to do very well themselves. But I have one friend that can pick out wines almost 100% of the time in blind taste tests.

I'm the same as you. Too funny about the blind tasting. I've seen it before when the people with the sophisticated palate picked the cheapie wines. It's pretty funny.

You are a most fortunate person! Never without a beverage no matter what's on offer!