Sunscreen - bring or buy onboard?

jennymaxgirl

Just wondering what prices are like onboard. Is it cheaper to bring in luggage ? I live in Canada so foreign exchange factors in, but if it's reasonably priced onboard it would be convenient.

Taking a 10 nt Carib with my family of four so I am guessing we will use a fair amount.

Thx!

Personally, I'm taking fresh supplies of my preferred brand of sunscreen and Aloe Vera Gel moisturiser, with 1 bottle/tube of each in my hand luggage, and the rest, packed in a Ziploc bag for safety, in my checked in case. I'm very fair skinned, so treat sunscreen as a "Prescribed Medication" no questions asked, just pack those supplies!

I've also heard the sun in the Caribbean is stronger, don't personally know if that's true but I would take no chances on your holiday being spoilt by a bad sunburn.

I keep a permanently packed bag for travel, and sunscreen is in it because I don't like having to spend time on a vacation looking for something I could have brought with me. I'm also glad to have sunscreen when I find myself in places where you would not have expected to need it.

Bring at least one bottle with you, but you should consider carrying as much as you plan to use. The ship's shop will not be open until after you sail. If you are staying overnight pre cruise you can purchase in Ft. Lauderdale. It is widely available. It is also available at ports of call, but I have noticed selections may be limited in the shops that are close to the ship.

If you are planning to snorkel, please be sure to use a coral safe sunscreen. They are more expensive, but will not harm the coral or other sea life. I am not some crazy environmentalist or anything, but I do care about protecting sea life.

The snorkel boats will insist on this. Sometimes they have some. Also the popular sprays are not allowed on some boats. Maybe bring a small cream for your snorkel excursions.

Just wondering what prices are like onboard. Is it cheaper to bring in luggage ? I live in Canada so foreign exchange factors in, but if it's reasonably priced onboard it would be convenient.

Taking a 10 nt Carib with my family of four so I am guessing we will use a fair amount.

Thx!

"Reasonably Priced" and "Onboard" should not be in a same sentence :-)

"Reasonably Priced" and "Onboard" should not be in a same sentence :-)

Like military and intelligence . I totally agree about bringing your own. 1. You can buy the brand and SPF level you like. The gift shop on board might not have either. 2. The price onboard is easily twice what you would pay on land.

On my Panama Canal cruise I caught a nasty cold while on an excursion and of course I didn't have anything for it. I went to the gift shop to buy some NyQuil to get me over my cold. All the shop had was 2-dose blister packs and the cost was pretty much what I could buy a whole box of on shore.

Edited by Treven

Nothing is reasonably priced on the ship! Bring your own sunscreen packed in your checked luggage. If over 3oz it may be confiscated in carry on.

THANK YOU! That's a good point to be aware of-it doesn't apply to my as I'm flying within Australia, but I've made a note on my Cruise Notepad to be careful should I ever sail internationally.

We take our own. My wife can't use sunscreen with Vitamin E - she breaks out - so it's best to be sure we have something she can use. I can't stand the fragrance in most brands so I take one I can tolerate. Trusting to the ship to have something that works for both (or either) of us isn't a good plan and I can't imagine getting a good price onboard.