Why cant CCL sail from NYC during winter months?

Vitamin_Sea

LOL - I wouldn't move south if you paid me!

After having spent part of my childhood and a part of college in Florida, I wouldn't move back there either. Not for me.

Be that as it may, we used to cruise pretty much every February out of NYC over school break (husband is a teacher). We live in Forest Hills, Queens and taking a cab, or even the subway, to the ship was so easy. Despite the cold, we knew we'd hit warm/hot weather in a day and a half, so it didn't bother us. Just bummed that Carnival no longer sails in the winter, and NCL has changed their itineraries to longer ones, which no longer allows them as an option either.

After having spent part of my childhood and a part of college in Florida, I wouldn't move back there either. Not for me.

Be that as it may, we used to cruise pretty much every February out of NYC over school break (husband is a teacher). We live in Forest Hills, Queens and taking a cab, or even the subway, to the ship was so easy. Despite the cold, we knew we'd hit warm/hot weather in a day and a half, so it didn't bother us. Just bummed that Carnival no longer sails in the winter, and NCL has changed their itineraries to longer ones, which no longer allows them as an option either.

Well, CCL was doing 8 nts with Splendor, which we took and loved.

NCL has some 7 nt cruises in nts to Bahamas coming up .Dec/Feb.

going to keep watching prices

In the "old" Days all of the "great cruise ships such as the United States, Queen Elizabeth and Mary, the France etc. would sail out of New York. I believe that it was both RCCL and Carnival that decided it would make more sense to fly the passengers down to Miami and sail out of that port and escape several days of cold weather. To me it made much more sense.

The Cruise Lines have, within the last several years, expanded back into New York and New Jersey. I am not sure of the logic, unless New Yorker's really want to sail out of New York city during the cold winter.

It baffles me why anyone would want to cruise up here in the winter. I live in NH and we had weeks of temps in the negatives this past winter. I don't think I would enjoy sunbathing in -13 weather.

I live in Brooklyn and I sail every winter out of NYC. By the end of embarkation day its already not as cold and the first day at sea is a light sweater day and the second is warm enough to lay out. Its a wonderful cruise!

Understand about the airfare but you spend most of the time at sea in cold weather to go to Nassau or Port Canaveral on a 7 day cruise. There's not many places you can get to on a 7 day roundtrip. There just isn't the demand and money there for that in the winter.

NCL Gem goes to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Tortola......

• 5 weeks later...

I am unhappy that CCL pulled out of NYC, yes they had to drop their prices because the other lines had bigger and newer ships. I was so excited when John Heald had big news about cruising out of NYC all year. I booked two cruises and I was happy. I had a cruise booked in the winter but was notified that they were leaving NYC. If you look on Carnival's webiste now for NYC, there is not much to offer. I love to cruise but to take my daughters and 2 grandsons it would cost me a foturne to fly. Right now I have a cruise booked on NCL leaving December 27th, I love it and it will be nice. There is alot to do inside a ship and really the next day is comfortable, I rather have the cold on the ship then rain, but that is me. I keep checking to see if they are going to come back to NYC.

I wish they would sail all year, with a newer ship!!!

Dorene

Two years ago, when the Splendor sailed out of NY in the winter, they were almost giving the cabins away.

For a NYer...it's cheaper to live on the ship for a week than at home.

I have a friend who was "a regular" on NCL Gem last winter because it was so cheap. (He went just about every other sailing.)

But....if you want a warm weather vacation....sailing out of NYC in the winter isn't it.

Added:

Another issue is getting to the ship. There were days last winter where I (who live about a 5 minute cab ride from the port) couldn't have made it because the streets were like skating rinks...and getting a cab would have been impossible.

Not sure of Gem being cheap, but I notice Gem often has no solo supplement. I always thought offering no supplement meant a need to fill cabins.

Good to hear! Reading some positive reviews of the Gem too!

I was debating taking the Gem or the Sunshine from NYC and settled on the Sunshine 9 day Journeys cruise. One of the deciding factors was being able to get FTTF. My only regret is the cruise is not till next August. :eek: We like being able to drive to the ports, however we are tired of the same itineraries. We do like the itinerary for the Sunshine. We did this itinerary on the Splendor. Didn't like that ship at all!!

I went on the Splendor with my children and Grandchildren, we had a wonderful time and I loved the Splendor. Like anything, ships, food, cruise lines are opinions. I didnt care for the Gem been on it twice. I also lean more toward Carnival than NCL, I know how each cruise line is and I just enjoy the cruise.

Dorene

Doing Splendor out of New York next week. Really had never considered this port. Flew last year for a cruise but this time we are going to drive 9.5 hrs. This may be our new port of choice. We loved the Sunshine so this might be a better choice than flying to Miami for cruises. Definitely not winter tho.

Has to be about money but NCL/RCCL/Cunard run there ships.:confused:

FFS

They can. They don't. Apparently they underestimated how many would dance down 5th Ave naked at the news. The fares plummeted, while the competition held their own. They need to up their on board service to compete with the other lines, or just offer Dolphin type fates just to fill ships.

Unfortunately, they continue down the cutback path. Which means low fares are now the top priority draw.

They can. They don't. Apparently they underestimated how many would dance down 5th Ave naked at the news. The fares plummeted, while the competition held their own. They need to up their on board service to compete with the other lines, or just offer Dolphin type fates just to fill ships.

Unfortunately, they continue down the cutback path. Which means low fares are now the top priority draw.

Funny the analysts that know about them differ on their outlook, Carnival is in very good position. All fares the year that Splendor sailed year round plummeted not just Carnival. As the previous poster said, when the weather is crappy people don't want to sail from New York (period).

Funny the analysts that know about them differ on their outlook, Carnival is in very good position. All fares the year that Splendor sailed year round plummeted not just Carnival. As the previous poster said, when the weather is crappy people don't want to sail from New York (period).

Don't remember any other line touting their year round sailings, and then pulling out.

Northeasterners seem to be very happy boarding and sailing the other lines that sail out of there year round. Watch them on the webcam all the time. Crappy weather only affects the top deck. Popular activities control all the other ones. Unless they are few and far between.

Don't remember any other line touting their year round sailings, and then pulling out.

Northeasterners seem to be very happy boarding and sailing the other lines that sail out of there year round. Watch them on the webcam all the time. Crappy weather only affects the top deck. Popular activities control all the other ones. Unless they are few and far between.

Other lines are not Carnival, they are Caribbean focused totally and it just does not fit their plan. Check out some of the winter reviews of Carnival and others sailing out of New York. They could not even get the Splendor to the pier. Two days of rough weather and cold temps (shoveling of balconies and open deck). People want to be out enjoying a sea day not huddled up shivering and riding the rough Atlantic seas so prone for the winter months. That's why people don't sail. The Gem was just as discounted. Maybe different on the amusement park of he seas but that is the anomaly.

Other lines are not Carnival, they are Caribbean focused totally and it just does not fit their plan. Check out some of the winter reviews of Carnival and others sailing out of New York. They could not even get the Splendor to the pier. Two days of rough weather and cold temps (shoveling of balconies and open deck). People want to be out enjoying a sea day not huddled up shivering and riding the rough Atlantic seas so prone for the winter months. That's why people don't sail. The Gem was just as discounted. Maybe different on the amusement park of he seas but that is the anomaly.

I take it you've never sailed in the winter months. The Gulf Stream controls the temps out there, and once in it, the weather is quite nice. Unless a storm is coming through, but that's true any time of the year.