Internet Speed on Navigator of the Seas

I will be on NOS in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth paying for Internet access onboard. On my last cruise on the Sapphire Princess, I had 150 free Internet minutes because I'm a Platinum member with Princess Circle, but I only used a handful of minutes because their Internet was SO FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW! Even at 1 AM in the morning, on the computers in their Internet cafe (wired, not Wi-Fi), it literally took 5+ minutes just to try to log in to the system. I only looked at my email successfully once while onboard because I gave up on waiting for the Web pages to load; it was much better to find Internet access in the ports. So how is the Internet speed on NOS? I know it won't be remotely near the rates I have on land, but hopefully it won't be as painfully slow as on Princess.

The internet on Navigator has not been upgraded to the O3b/Voom technology, so it won't be able to do things like video streaming. Since we can't really determine what would make it "worth it" to you, I suggest you pay for one day when you get onboard and then determine yourself if it's "worth it".

Last time I was on Navigator it was not bad. Not the same as home, but faster then dialup speed!

If you want it for a week and purchase it, try it for an hour. If you think it is too slow, go to Guest Relations and tell them to cancel it and refund you the amount you paid.

Edited by chermilo
Added comments

The internet speed is sufficient for email, looking up something on the web -- basic things.

I switched my phone to airplane mode, enabled wifi and used iMessage to communicate with my 91 year old father at home. And it was great. He got a "play by play" and I was able to make sure he was ok. I also used the Glympse app to "text" him our location as we sailed. (It is not really texting with iMessage, thus, the quotes).

Emailing photos or large files was sllllooooooowwww. (I had to draft a document and email it for work and it literally took 20 minutes to send one Word letter via gmail). I wasn't able to successfully download or stream my audiobooks on Audible (download them when you still have cell coverage). And I couldn't stream any videos. Netflix doesn't have offline viewing -- so that was a bust.

But overall, for me, it was worth every penny. Not the fastest, but sufficient to keep me in touch with my elderly father.

The internet speed is sufficient for email, looking up something on the web -- basic things.

I switched my phone to airplane mode, enabled wifi and used iMessage to communicate with my 91 year old father at home. And it was great. He got a "play by play" and I was able to make sure he was ok. I also used the Glympse app to "text" him our location as we sailed. (It is not really texting with iMessage, thus, the quotes).

Emailing photos or large files was sllllooooooowwww. (I had to draft a document and email it for work and it literally took 20 minutes to send one Word letter via gmail). I wasn't able to successfully download or stream my audiobooks on Audible (download them when you still have cell coverage). And I couldn't stream any videos. Netflix doesn't have offline viewing -- so that was a bust.

But overall, for me, it was worth every penny. Not the fastest, but sufficient to keep me in touch with my elderly father.

This is exactly what I need it for...texting my mom & receiving messages from her to check on our senior/geriatric medical dogs. I'm nervous enough leaving them so I need to be in contact with her. If it's good enough to get through text messages & phone calls then I'm good...yea or nay?

This is exactly what I need it for...texting my mom & receiving messages from her to check on our senior/geriatric medical dogs. I'm nervous enough leaving them so I need to be in contact with her. If it's good enough to get through text messages & phone calls then I'm good...yea or nay?

I completely understand your concerns. TBH, because my father is elderly, I really can't enjoy myself when I'm unreachable.

Keep in mind that "texting" via a cell phone network while at sea can be extremely expensive. So, if you don't have a special plan, I recommend doing as I did and turning your phone to "airplane mode" and then switching on the wifi -- in that order. (FYI -- if you have wifi on and then turn airplane mode on, it will kick you off wifi -- just log in to wifi again to remedy this).

I used iMessage and not text via TMobile for this reason. I turned off the cellular data by going into airplane mode -- and then logged into wifi, so my messages were sent via wifi (thus they were not text messages which are sent via 4g or 3g or a cellular network).

If you don't have iMessage (for instance, your phone is android) then there are plenty of instant messaging applications out there. Just be sure that both you and your mom install and set up the same application prior to leaving on your trip. I think Yahoo Instant Messaging is a great option and works well on PC, Mac, Android based phone, as well as Iphones.

Also -- I highly recommend buying the wifi package online via the RCI website before embarkation. When you arrive in your cabin, you will find an envelope with your password. This will spare you waiting in line at Guest Affairs to get it set up onboard. :)

Edited by Mitzyscorner

I'm on the navigator right now & I will say yea. Just don't try to do any pictures & you will be fine. Love having it on the balcony.

We were on last week. Sending TEXT emails was fine. Messaging through Facebook was fine. You run into issues as soon as you start attaching photos...it really takes long time and can error out. I liked having it to help stay in touch, post a few fun things to FB and do some minor research. But it cannot handle a big load. Forget about streaming. Downloading a book I purchased on Amazon (normally 15 seconds to do) took about 3-4 minutes, and errored out the first time.