Royal Clipper Dec 12, 2015 Barbados (Grenadines Route)

taphappy

The seaweed Problem is gone. We just had a Little bit after a storm out on the Atlantic. This was in the south and didn't disturb anyone. The weather was fine. It rained at night. No News is good News, so let's be happy about that. For Cruisers, there are no changes.

I love the Mount Gay brands. We drink rum at home like it is a cognac. So we buy an old rum. A dark or golden rum. I probably buy too expensive, but I like to put the bottle in my suitcase, so I buy it at the Supermarket ( Massey, etc.). It is still cheaper than buying it at home. And some of the brands aren't available here.

I'm taking this cruise solo and I was wondering about joining others for dinner. I want to avoid being a "third wheel"!

On Windstar I found that for breakfast and lunch, joining others happened organically. But it didn't happen often during dinnertime.

In your opinion, what might be the best way to approach this on Royal Clipper? Or do solo travelers simply eat at a table for one at dinner?

You may meet other(s) passengers who you get on with during the course of the cruise and arrange to sit with them. Apart from that the Maitre D usually positions himself at the bottom of the main stairway that leads down directly in to the dining room and he will help you to get seated with suitable people (mainly language). If you have a word with him before dinner on the first night he will probably give you one or two suggestions - when to come in to dinner, for example. In our experience (travelling as a couple) fellow passengers are very helpful and accommodating to solo travellers and the several "solos" we have met have had very good holidays. (After several years we are still in touch with a lady solo we met on one of our Clipper holidays).

• 4 weeks later...

A big thank you to everyone for sharing information about this cruise and Barbados. I'll be thinking of you in paradise!

To my about to be ship mates, may this trip exceed all your expectations. Ahoy & safe travels!!!

I arrive in Barbados on Wednesday and staying at Almond Beach.

Well, shoot, I wish I'd seen this forum a bit earlier. So excited to be going on our first cruise (WOOT!!!).

Headed to Miami tomorrow, then on to Barbados Friday and will be staying at the Infinity on the Beach (or something like that) Friday night.

Can't wait! (bouncebouncebounce)

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I had a great week on the Royal Clipper and visits to the ports which had a lot of holiday spirit!!

It was nice to be amongst so many sailing enthusiasts and I liked the noticeable absence of discussions about sea sickness or seeing people wearing medicated ear patches!

It was wonderful meeting you onboard Tschibi and Bad Czech!! Thank you for your friendship.

If there is interest in comment on any particular topic, including visiting the ports without going on tours, please let me know.

Sounded like there were various offers that were available for this particular cruise. Some of the repeat cruisers received "buy one week, get one free"...including solo travelers!

All the best,

Nina