Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

To UKJeff, the only force great enough to bring about such a dismal choice (Hillary vs Trump) is the wrath of God.

Thanks!

It is a real puzzle how these things happens. I guess other people have noticed, but whenever she goes onto a rostrum she has this thing of pretending she recognises individuals in the audience and points at them and makes these funny facial expressions of pretend recognition. Every time. It is clearly a ruse to make it appear to TV audiences that she is "always amongst friends". I have never seen her not do it!

And Trump. The name says it all. And the worst he gets the more popular he becomes. What does it say about how people are fed up with politicians. Is it a statement about the nations disappointment with Obama? It is difficult for a Brit to figure out how this all happened.

Can I welcome you to the Cooler from your normal seat at the Norwegian Bar! :) I know you have an interest in food, and I hope you stay around.

Jeff

Got it! Blue Bayou! :D

I feel so bad I got a worried mind

I'm so lonesome all the time

Since I left my baby behind

On Blue Bayou

Saving nickles, saving dimes

Working 'til the sun don't shine

Looking forward to happier times

On Blue Bayou

I'm going back someday

Come what may

To Blue Bayou

Where the folks are fine

And the world is mine

On Blue Bayou

Where those fishing boats

With their sails afloat

If I could only see

That familiar sunrise

Through sleepy eyes

How happy I'd be

Gonna see my baby again

Gonna be with some of my friends

Maybe I'll feel better again

On Blue Bayou

:)

Jeff

Roy Orbison ....right? Oh Lordy l do hope I'm not having another senior moment...[emoji15] I think we all noticed the Clinton Pose...in my case it was the nodding that did it...a tad like those toy dogs we buy to put on our dashboards........or not...[emoji12]

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never drooled over Roy Spins...but his music was brilliant....if l recall correctly Elvis was my first drool...[emoji15]

So hot and humid here but hoping we may have some rain later as its clouding over...had a busy day putting the final touches to my newly decorated lounge....still needs a bit of tweaking but I'm happy...

Note that two of our ex PM's are now entering the EU debate....I used to like John Major even though he was keen on curries...Blair however makes my skin crawl....

Happy Day All

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Morning Coolers, from a grey and rainy day down here @seaside!

We're having or service of thanksgioving for the Queen's 90th birthday at St Pauls here today .... :)

On a more trivial note, today wifey and I are celebrating an odder and much more lesser anniversary chez Jeff. It was 40 years ago this week I was reading the news paper and read that I was to receive a bravery award under Section 28 of The Criminal Law Act of 1826! :eek: I didn't even know of such an act. A few weeks later I was commanded to attend the ceremony at the pleasure of The High Sherriff of Greater London to receive a certificate and £25 from "public funds"! It was a lovely event with just 4 such awards being given in 1976 when I was a mere child .....;)

For those interested in our fine British traditions the section of the law is really interesting reading:

And, for the better Remuneration of Persons who have been active in the Apprehension of certain Offenders, be it enacted, That where any Person shall appear to any Court of Oyer and Terminer, Gaol Delivery, Superior Criminal Court of a County Palatine, or Court of Great Sessions, to have been active in or towards the Apprehension of any Person charged with Murder, or with feloniously and maliciously shooting at, or attempting to discharge any kind of loaded Fire Arms at any other Person, or with stabbing, cutting, or poisoning, or with administering any thing to procure the Miscarriage of any Woman, or with Rape, or with Burglary or felonious House-breaking, or with Robbery on the Person, or with Arson, or with Horse-stealing, Bullock-stealing, or Sheep-stealing, or with being accessory before the Fact to any of the Offences aforesaid, or with receiving any Stolen Property knowing the same to have been stolen, every such Court is hereby authorized and empowered, in any of the Cases aforesaid, to order the Sheriff of the County in which the Offence shall have been committed to pay to the Person or Persons, who shall appear to the Court to have been active in or towards the Apprehension of any Person charged with any of the said Offences, such Sum or Sums of Money as to the Court shall seem reasonable and sufficient to compensate such Person or Persons for his, her, or their Expences, Exertions, and Loss of Time in or towards such Apprehension ; and where any Person shall appear to any Court of Sessions of the Peace, to have been active in or towards the Apprehension of any Party charged with receiving Stolen Property knowing the same to have been stolen, such Court shall have Power to order Compensation to such Person in the same Manner as the other Courts herein-before mentioned: Provided always, that nothing herein contained shall prevent any of the said Courts from also allowing to any such Persons, if Prosecutors or Witnesses, such Costs, Expences, and Compensation, as Courts are by this Act empowered to allow to Prosecutors and Witnesses respectively.

Jeff

Neat anniversary story Jeff! I remember 1976...but I wasn't old enough to be chasing criminals them. We have an anniversary today too...only 21 years for Chris and me though.

Have to work today, but heading to Lake Placid tonight for a weekend out of town. Hope we get out of work early enough to make it up there for our dinner reservation!

Edited by jpalbny

Happy Anniversaries all!

A toast to more years together and to Jeff, keep pursuing the good over evil!:-)

Jeff, on another note one CC'er wrote a disgruntled and rambling slightly incoherent post yesterday(?) about the Spirit.

I note it has been removed too and I am not sure why it was removed. It clearly was not a nice reflection on Silversea or the Spirit. But there was a fact mentioned in it that was true.

Hmm.

Happy anniversary JP and Chris. Thanks M.

Spins, I don't know whether you saw my answer to the note and the subsequent exchanges. I was accused of being an SS apologist of all things!:rolleyes:

In most fora it's against the rules to discuss moderator decisions, and we can only speculate. To me there were conundrums and apparent inconsistencies in the post that made me wonder whether another long-term poster had registered and posted to "whip things up a bit. Just an impression. ;)

Perhaps the moderators felt the post was mischievous or unfair and in my view they did absolutely the right thing considering how the poster decided to frame the post. I'm sure that if the poster made a more coherent and balanced attempt it might remain.

Jeff

Jeff

I didn't see any responses to that post. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

And yes, one should not speculate into the mind of another.

I was wondering if your post was related to the one I saw.

Now I know.

On to the next topic.

It was an interesting post...and there was a second one, directed at Jeff, subsequently removed as well. Rambling is a good description. Jeff a SS apologist? Ha. Good one.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes. A few more hours of work to tolerate... :p

Congratulations to all anniversaries. Do tell us Jeff what did you do to merit your bravery award. No modesty please. Very hot year 1976 as I remember. I had my last child who has just celebrated her 40th so I remember it well too.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good evening Coolers,

Lovely day down here. We have an airshow over the next couple of days and today we were treated to a very low and fast flying Eurofighter doing a reccy. I made us some crudites and we had some Bredon champagne ...

194BC249-AC49-47A8-B2FF-F5658A1FA2C7.jpg

Jane, thanks for your interest but it was genuinely undeserved. You asked for the detail ..

I was driving to work one morning from our then home in North London and I noticed out the corner of my eye a policeman having an argument with a guy in a tipper truck. The tipper truck then started to drive towards the polieman and ran him over ... won't give too much detail but the policeman lost his arm and was nearly killed. I drove off the road to attend the policeman and the tipper truck drove off. This was before mobile phones so I used the policemans radio to call for help and stayed with him until the ambulance and police arrived. Once he was taken care of I noticed that the traffic was actually moving quite slowly (London rush hour ...) and I suggested to one of the policeman that the truck couldn't have got that far and suggested he hopped into my car and we go off and see if I could find and identify it. Some police followed us. I then took him on what he later described as a brisk and exciting ride along the pavements to overtake all the slow moving traffic and after ten minutes or so I saw the tipper truck ahead. I drove along the pavement beside him, and then in front of him. I'm relieved he didn't decide to ram the car.

The policeman and I got out and I/we pulled the driver out of his cab and then some police had followed me and arrived en masse by now arrested him. Technically they said that I had arrested him. He was charged with the attempted murder of a policeman, was found guilty and went to prison. It was reported in the press and on the TV and in the paper it also said that I had got this award. What was better was I received some nice letters from people including senior police and "others" ... and the local police, colleagues of the injured policeman all insisted on taking me out for several nights drinking for what I'd done for them and their colleage and it was a night I'd like to remember .... but there was so much drink! It seemed like all of the police and regional police all came at some point during those nights ... I was really touched by it. To be honest I felt that anyone would have done the same thing, and I just happened to be there.

Anyway .... all a very long time ago ....

As an aside, I was obviously late into work that morning for a sales call with my boss. I tried to explain it to him but he was pi**ed with me and ai don't think he believed me and because my car had blood in it. I had had enough and told him to stuff the job so I pretty much became unemployed on the same day all this happened. Then I needed to explain all this too my wife .... and we'd just had a kid. It all worked out in the end.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks M. But to be clear, I genuinely disagree with you. I see it differently. Not going to help the policeman and then all that happened subsequently would have been a despicable cowardly terrible thing and simply not doing a despicable cowardly terrible thing doesn't make you a hero, it just means you aren't a despicable terrible coward. Nothing more.

I was contacted later that year and asked how I'd respond to a "different" award and turned it down because the whole thing had already been embarrassing enough, and the other man who received his award on the same day as me had wrestled a sawn-off shotgun away from a jeweller shop robber. He was a hero not me.

Anyway ... onwards and upwards.

Jeff

J..please don't consider my comments as "hero worship". You consider your actions to be those of a normal human being. My experience with human beings says otherwise! Most people who do courageous things in aid of their fellow man (police or otherwise) all say that they are not heroes. They say that they are run-of-the-mill people. I don't think so! Thusly, I respectfully disagree with you! Anyway...onward and upwards. :)