Discussion of travel insurance for Canadians

walkerspt

Travel insurance seems to be an area full of questions, exclusions and lots of minefields. I read with interest the general discussions on CC but find they often don't apply to me as a Canadian since the companies referred to won't cover Canadians. I. would be interested to hear about experiences with both cancellation insurance and travel medical insurance from fellow Canadians. I am particularly interested in whether you have found a company that will waive pre-existing conditions for you as a Canadian? Any other insights would also be welcome.

I have purchased both extended medical and cancellation insurance from my bank/credit card company and from an insurance agent. In both instances they would not cover pre-existing conditions.

I will be very interested in the comments from others and hopefully there are alternatives available to Canadians.

This is a fairly new problem. Our usual company, CSA, stopped underwriting Canadians just about a year ago I believe. And then Travelguard followed suit. I have no idea why. So for two of my upcoming trips I opted for the boat company's insurance, both with pre-existing coverage, and thus paid at the time of initial booking (Tauck and Uniworld.)

When we booked our next Paul Gauguin trip for December 2016, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for insurance so far in advance, especially since I don't have to pay for the cruise for at least another year. So I haven't, and god knows what we'll do, maybe self-insure this time since the trip is fairly modestly-priced (balance due is about $5.5K US, and we'll be booking air separately so we can buy insurance for that if we need it.)

I'm hoping our (very good) TA will have options for their customers by then--this is a bad situation.

In my experience, coverage by RBC or Amex is either very expensive, or limited to a fairly modest amount. Since many of our trips come in at about $15K this doesn't work for us, but maybe I should take another look. So I'm interested in hearing others' experiences.

I cannot see any company waiving pre -exisiting conditions coverage

we buy trip cancellation/interuption insurance through Global Excel & they have paid 2 claims without issue

We have out of the Country medical through DH retirement package ..have to claim through Provincial plan then anything not covered submit to Manulife

have not done that yet

I cannot see any company waiving pre -exisiting conditions coverage

we buy trip cancellation/interuption insurance through Global Excel & they have paid 2 claims without issue

We have out of the Country medical through DH retirement package ..have to claim through Provincial plan then anything not covered submit to Manulife

have not done that yet

We do too, thank goodness since we spend the winter in Florida, so this saves us buckets.

I don't understand your first sentence. Do you mean you can't see any company offering pre-existing coverage? They did, back when CSA covered Canadians. Fortunately until recently we didn't need it, but now we do. Uniworld in fact offered a "cancel for any reason" clause for our upcoming Egypt trip, but that's a special case, and they don't refund in that case, they offer a replacement trip of equal value, which seems fair to me. And as I said, Tauck offers pre-existing coverage if you purchase when you book, which is the way most insurance companies worked.

Does anyone have insight into why these companies stopped covering Canadians? I can't figure it out.

I don't understand your first sentence. Do you mean you can't see any company offering pre-existing coverage?

I meant I cannot see any company offering insurance without the pre existing clause

We bought insurance for an upcoming cruise through the vendor of the chartered cruise I am hoping they cover Canadians :eek:

Edited by LHT28

This is a fairly new problem. Our usual company, CSA, stopped underwriting Canadians just about a year ago I believe. And then Travelguard followed suit. I have no idea why. So for two of my upcoming trips I opted for the boat company's insurance, both with pre-existing coverage, and thus paid at the time of initial booking (Tauck and Uniworld.)

When we booked our next Paul Gauguin trip for December 2016, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for insurance so far in advance, especially since I don't have to pay for the cruise for at least another year. So I haven't, and god knows what we'll do, maybe self-insure this time since the trip is fairly modestly-priced (balance due is about $5.5K US, and we'll be booking air separately so we can buy insurance for that if we need it.)

I'm hoping our (very good) TA will have options for their customers by then--this is a bad situation.

In my experience, coverage by RBC or Amex is either very expensive, or limited to a fairly modest amount. Since many of our trips come in at about $15K this doesn't work for us, but maybe I should take another look. So I'm interested in hearing others' experiences.

Wendy- You are correct that coverage on a RBC 'Credit Card' is limited but RBC & BMO each have cancellation/trip interruption insurance covering the actual cost of your trip. We used them last year. I am not sure about pre-exisiting coverage but the cancellation is what is important to us (parents over 90!) I am more concerned about our dollar value, the exchange is brutal:eek:

Wendy- You are correct that coverage on a RBC 'Credit Card' is limited but RBC & BMO each have cancellation/trip interruption insurance covering the actual cost of your trip. We used them last year. I am not sure about pre-exisiting coverage but the cancellation is what is important to us (parents over 90!) I am more concerned about our dollar value, the exchange is brutal:eek:

Well, I'm not sure, but do pre-existing conditions pertain to just the passengers who are travelling, or do they pertain also to family members who might get sick and cause you to cancel? Just wondering out loud.

Brutal was when it was 65 cents on the dollar:eek:

Yes indeed. Our first two cruises were back then. And yes, we do seem to be heading back that way. Sigh.

Well, I'm not sure, but do pre-existing conditions pertain to just the passengers who are travelling, or do they pertain also to family members who might get sick and cause you to cancel? Just wondering out loud.

I wonder about that as well it seems in the US they do have that for family members not travelling with you

I must read the fine print in ours

I find it odd that they include family members that are not travelling with you most people have some immediate family member that can have a pre existing condition that could invalidate your coverage

:(

Yes indeed. Our first two cruises were back then. And yes, we do seem to be heading back that way. Sigh.

Oh let's not even think that :eek:

I have taken the trouble to read through a few of the actual contracts before buying cancellation insurance and in fact most do seem to have look back periods of varying lengths for pre existing conditions even for relatives. We're in the situation of having an aged parent who is not in good health and has multiple pre-existing conditions. There's not much point in buying insurance if the most probable cause you'd have to use it would make it null and void. We also have medical insurance outside Canada through DH's retirement plan so that is less of a concern.

It's frustrating to see that we cannot get the same terms as Americans and that our insurance seems to be so much more expensive. No good solutions.

Just found out the insurance through the cruise provider does not insure Non US citizens :eek:

We booked the cruise & ins in November last year GRRRR

So now we are without insurance for our Nov cruise

Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong

Just found out the insurance through the cruise provider does not insure Non US citizens :eek:

Grrr indeed! I hope you at least get reimbursed for it, presuming you paid at the time of booking!

Grrr indeed! I hope you at least get reimbursed for it, presuming you paid at the time of booking!

Yes money is being credited back to CC

She said it was something recent with the Insurance company ...so looks like us Canadians need to shop locally ;)

Lyn

Yes money is being credited back to CC

She said it was something recent with the Insurance company ...so looks like us Canadians need to shop locally ;)

Lyn

Yes, it's quite recent, and it apparently has to do with the underwriters.

If anyone discovers a decent local company that will insure a trip at a decent price, with flexible options for pre-existing condition coverage, and insuring trips in the $10-20K range, please let us know.

Yes, it's quite recent, and it apparently has to do with the underwriters.

If anyone discovers a decent local company that will insure a trip at a decent price, with flexible options for pre-existing condition coverage, and insuring trips in the $10-20K range, please let us know.

Not sure what you consider a decent price but look at Global Excel or RSA

They did pay up when we needed to claim

What cruise provider does not cover NON US citizens? Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me. I've booked Princess insurance for my upcoming cruise so I'm praying I won't have a problem with this!!

Pat

What cruise provider does not cover NON US citizens? Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me. I've booked Princess insurance for my upcoming cruise so I'm praying I won't have a problem with this!!

Pat

I had booked through the Malt shop cruise insurance company

sorry I deleted the information on the underwriter

The email said this was something new to the insurance & they just found out recently

You may want to check with Princess or the insurance company they use

Pat

Just been reading this thread and I too have purchased Princess Insurance for our upcoming cruise in September.

I just called their insurance division direct to check if Canadians are covered.

She asked me to hold, then came back to say that there are no exclusions for Canadians.

But I am a firm believer in always doing your own investigations. If you want the direct number it is 1-877-846-8833.

Please post back here what you find out so we can compare answers, thanks.

I had my travel agent phone Princess to "confirm" that the Princess Vacation Insurance Packages I had purchased for my upcoming B2B...covered Canadians! YES...was their answer. This is the first time I've tried the Princess Insurance package...always did my trip insurance package separately with an insurance company. Thought I'd try Princess this time but I'm a little anxious.

I wasn't given a separate card for my wallet with the trip insurance policy number and telephone numbers listed to call in case of emergency from Princess like my other insurance company option on past cruises. I will take the Princess paperwork with me on excursions...insurance wallet card is so much easier. I may have to take the time to make a card myself!!

Does anyone have a medical insurance coverage story using the Princess Insurance option that they could share with us? Suggestions for what to do and what not to do?

Thank You for any info you can share. :)

Pat