Which ship?

6311salt

I don't think you will ever get me on a Carnival ship. I don't want to share my cruise with a bunch of rowdy, drunk, "young adults".

Obviously my vote is for Ruby Princess.

Of course on Carnival Miracle you will probably encounter a younger demographic and you will have a water slide. Princess ships don't have water slides.

Edited by Thrak

I prefer Princess, all things being equal. Of course, things are often not equal.

Just picking a couple of random Mexican Riviera cruises in February, It looks like a balcony stateroom on the Miracle would be about $250 cheaper -- each. That's not chump change.

Also, you don't say whether you're 25 and extroverted or 65 and mellow. If you're the former, I actually think you might have a better time on Carnival. Being more like 65 and mellow, I prefer Princess.

I assume the itineraries are a wash, almost identical, because there just aren't that many ways to sail the Mexican Riviera.

Jim

Thanks! We are 70 extroverted. Will probably do Miracle ......thats a good savings.

Obviously, you'll need to look at the specific choices in front of you for pricing.

You don't say whether you've cruised before or anything. I guess 70 and extroverted is ... well, there may not be a cruise line built just for you, but it doesn't matter.

My main point is that even though we prefer Princess, we have almost all fond memories of our four Carnival cruises. They get an undeservedly bad rap. Carnival is not just the domain of the young and drunk. Plenty of others have a great time on their ships.

Jim

For 70 extrovert I think Carnival is a better fit. In my experience Carnival has the most diverse demographic including many mature high energy cruisers.

I like the Carnival spirit class ship, but I tend to like that size ship, along with Coral/Island, Radiance class and M class. I do prefer Ruby to Miracle, but if you would enjoy a more high energy cruise and save some $'s go on the Miracle:)

Since you have told us nothing at all about yourself, there is no way that we can offer you an intelligent or even non-intelligent suggestion. We can only tell you what we like which is probably irrelevant to what you might like.

For what it is worth which is nothing, I prefer anything Princess over anything Carnival.

DON

So I am nearing 50 and my DH is nearing 60. We love to dance and the crazy trivia games (almost made it through yes/no). I like Princess because I can do the late night disco scene without too much worry of having a drink spilled on me or rammed into and all the stuff that naturally goes on with a younger crowd. Obviously I am a Princess fan, but I have sailed Carnival and at one time was the late night, spill a drink and bump into people group. Nothing wrong with that, but I am just not into smelling like tequilla all night.

I don't think you will ever get me on a Carnival ship. I don't want to share my cruise with a bunch of rowdy, drunk, "young adults".

Obviously my vote is for Ruby Princess.

Of course on Carnival Miracle you will probably encounter a younger demographic and you will have a water slide. Princess ships don't have water slides.

Granted, you have a legit concern based on reputation. However, understand that

was made on a Princess sailing.

To answer the OP's question. I would suggest the Ruby Princess. It's a much nicer ship than the Miracle.

The Ruby will likely be our next sailing with Princess. We like the Grand-class of ships and their familiar layout.

Where WAS the cruise in the video? I've never seen such a young (and majorly a$$h0l3) group on Princess.! Had this been my first cruise it would have definitely been my last cruise.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Where WAS the cruise in the video? I've never seen such a young (and majorly a$$h0l3) group on Princess.! Had this been my first cruise it would have definitely been my last cruise.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Not sure. I remember seeing the vid a while back and thinking the same exact thing as you.

In no way am I trying to sell you on Carnival, but I think their tattered image is a little overblown, and often, some may go a little hyperbolic in their impressions of Carnival.

We took our first Carnival cruise last Jan. and admittedly I had similar concerns to yours beforehand. Did we actually experience any rowdy drunken kids or multitudes of obnoxious fellow passengers?

No.

In fact, the cruise was pretty mellow for the most part. Yes, we both decided that we still like Princess better overall, but there were also a few things that Carnival offers that we found liking. It was interesting to try something different. After the cruise, we still questioned if we would ever book another Carnival cruise again, having other options available.

Other than the Carnival ship being a little crowded to our tastes(4000 pax), we still had a pretty good time -- It's pretty hard not to while cruising, unless something really goes bad. We met some nice people on board and had stimulating conversation in the MDR as well.

We recently booked A 'Carnival Journeys" 11-day/8-port cruise one-way from Port Canaveral to San Juan. Being port-active cruisers, we just couldn't pass on the chance to hit up 8 ports/2 sea days. Being a longer one-way sailing in between the holidays, we figured that there may not be that many children or rowdy college-aged kids on board. So we decided to give it a shot.

Oh and then there is the price. We booked an inside cabin for <$500 pp with an additional $100 promotional OBC included. Add in the stockholder's credit and well.....:D

A cruise is really what one makes it. Of course, obnoxious and rowdy shipmates could put a damper on having a positive experience. We're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be 2 for 2 on this one.

Edited by Skai

Did we actually experience any rowdy drunken kids or multitudes of obnoxious fellow passengers?

No.

In fact, the cruise was pretty mellow for the most part.

In four Carnival cruises, this has been our experience too, except for one drunken loud-mouth we were paired with in the MDR. We got moved to a table for two for the rest of the cruise.

We actually saw a lot more obnoxious drunks on the one Celebrity cruise we took.

Jim

Until about two years ago we had about the same amount of cruises on Carnival and Princess. There were certainly obnoxious people on both lines. However there is a younger and more active party spirit on Carnival and I think encouraged by staff. But I do Princess more now because the entertainment is much better. They still have live bands at the pool during the way where princess just has a staff member playing records or Cd's.