why so few out of SF

spendalot

Why does it seem that there are so few crusies including Celebrity departing San Francisco? We loved the longer crusies leaving from SF ( in spite of the naughty cab drivers we had to contend with upon return) and were looking forward to maybe one to Hawaii like Celebrity did in last couple of years. If I am correct a bunch of CC members got in on a great deal for that cruise.

I also agree. We live about 2 hours from S.F. and right now all that stops in S.F. is Princess and Celebrity. The two routes that leave from S.F. is Mex. Riviera and Alaska. I think but I am not sure but it has to do with the Jones Act where they have to have a stop in a foreign country. So for longer cruises such as 10-12 days that seems to be the most popular stops. I think also Crystal cruises stop there two but they are a little high for me. And the terminal is the pits. It really is not so much the terminal as it is the street where it is on. What a zoo. I would love to sail to Hawaii from there and then on the way back just stop in Ensenada for about 4 hrs and then head back to S.F.

Marilyn

I have to agree with the previous posters. It's probably the distance from a foreign port for the Jones Act and the traffic problems at the pier. There is no place for anyone to pull out of traffic to pick up or drop off. The traffic is horrendous when a ship is there.

I was lucky enough to be on the cruise to Hawaii from San Diego last Dec. that was a great bargain.

Hancock

Doesn't it seem like the amount of people in the northeast would be a big enough market to warrant more than a few sailings from here each week? It is definitely the terminal conditions and traffic that are issue here. Of course, the cruiselines charge hefty rates for the ones that do sail from here. Why not they have no shortage of passengers. NCL is smart to have two ships up here (one out of Boston) but only one is year round.

San Francisco, while one of the loviest harbors in the continental US, suffers more from its location mid-California than for its antiquated cruise facility, which is scheduled to be replaced by 2008 if it can pass all the environmental hurdles.

Many people, for reasons best known to themselves, don't want to add the extra day each way to get to Alaska or to the Mexican Riviera and points in-between.

As long as the PSA/Jones Act is in force, San Francisco is very limited in its offerings.

I for one would like to see some company buy the two idle "Cape" packet steamers built for defunct Delta Queen Lines. They are American built and US flagged, and could ply coastal waters, and get into many of the smaller harbors along the Left Coast. The ships, practically brand new and unused, carry 228 passengers double occupancy.

The Jones act is probably part of it, but cruise length plays a part as well. The most popular cruises seem to be 7 days because people only need to take one weeks vacation from their jobs. There are not that many places you can go in 7 days from San Francisco in 7 days and meet the requirements of the Jones Act. I guess you could sail south and hit Ensenada, but the remainder of a 7 day itinerary would not be very exotic. In addition, people that sail out of Florida frequently stay a few days before or after the cruise and the rates for doing so are very reasonable. Spending a few extra days in the San Francisco area would be considerably more expensive than Miami or Fort Lauderdale and there is no warm weather and nice sandy beaches and Disney World, etc.

Archived