Dominica Love: Our Experience, Pictures, etc.

TLCOhio

On Dominica and its recent tragedy during the past few days, I am sharing some added details and pictures. In February 2015, we super enjoyed this island that has such great history and super scenic settings. Below are some visuals that I had not previously posted on my live/blog to offer an idea on the islands beauty and city development situation. In later posts, I will share added visuals for what we did both on our "tubing" adventure AND while being in their downtown during the afternoon for their wonderful Carnival parade.

Great memories from Dominica and a sincere love/sympathy for their warm-hearted people. Hopefully, others will share their experiences, visuals, etc.

Here is more background on Dominica. It is pronounced Do-min-EE-kah. From the Cruise Critic website, they say this island promised to be unlike any other stop for our itinerary. They say to "prepare to slow down, take in the scenery, breathe fresh air, sample fruit right off the trees and experience nature in a way unique to few places on earth."

The island has impressive national parks and Dominica ranks as one of the top sites for ecco-tourism and scuba-diving in the Caribbean. Its beaches are mostly rocky. The island features no chain hotels or big-box mega-stores, though there are a Pizza Hut and KFC in Roseau, the capital city. This was a big change for us compared to what we experienced too much in the Dutch ABC islands.

Dominica was originally populated by the Carib tribe of Indians. The island gets its name from Christopher Columbus, who first spotted the land in 1493 on a Sunday. (Domenica means "Sunday" in Italian.) Understand its naming?? In the 1800's, the French and British fought for control of the island. If you glance at a map of Dominica, it's clear by the town names that the French populated the South (Roseau, Soufriere), while the British occupied the North (Portsmouth).

Eventually, the British conquered the French portion of the island and maintained control until 1978, when Dominica gained independence. Dominica has survived with a predominantly agricultural-based economy that includes bananas. Tourism also remains strong, with Dominica attracting a stream of naturalists who flock to the island to see 172 types of birds, 12 major waterfalls and peaks that rise up to 5,000 feet.

Whale-watchers also come in hordes to explore the waters that plunge to nearly 6,000 feet right off the coastline, providing a base for seven types of whales that can be seen nearly year-round, including a resident population of sperm whales. Weather on the island averages 77F degrees in winter, 82F in summer, although it's cooler in the mountains, humid in the rain forest and warmer on the coast. The driest months are January through April, but Cruise Critic warns to not be surprised if you experience a brief downpour every day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 27,412 views for these postings.

From Dominica, here are a sampling of pictures from Feb. 2015, that I have not posted previously on my live/blog. First, is a general coastal view giving an idea for how much forest or rainforest is there, plus some of their many main mountains and dramatic terrain. Next are some examples of a rocky river and other sights as we did a "tubing" adventure in Dominica along one of their scenic locations.:

Aug2015PixsA2_zps8a5glegu.jpg

Aug2015PixsA6_zps9fni6vqa.jpg

Aug2015PixsA7_zpsytkg5tzi.jpg

Aug2015PixsA5_zpsienvffbf.jpg

The main town/capital of Dominica is Roseau. Here are two of my visuals from this main part of town. This give you a sampling of its "infrastructure" and the wide variety of buildings there. We loved its "character and style", but clearly their wiring and other aspects there are not all "modern, strong and 21st Century". That will make fixing and re-building there to be so much harder. The Commonwealth of Dominica had a total population of 72,301 from their 2014 Census:

Aug2015PixsA4_zpsl4sg8cbp.jpg

Aug2015PixsA3_zpsyis6li9f.jpg

In order to get a better range of "experiences" during our first visit to the Caribbean and its nine different islands visited, we picked a ship excursion here involving river "tubing" during our visit to the amazingly scenic and nature-focused Dominica. The results? Did we have fun? Below are a few visual examples as "evidence" and proof for the excitement.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 117,608 views for this posting.

After being on the very dry and river-less islands in the Dutch ABC's, we got to enjoy river fun in Dominica. Maybe I have too many pictures here to share, but it was nice to see some the wonderful trees, mountains, fresh water, etc. I did not take my good Nikon D7100 camera on this water trip. Had a Nikon water and shock-proof model that worked very well . . . and survived. I was the first to tumble out of my yellow tube and get stranded in this wild and rocky river. For the sixteen of us, there were four very agile staff members to help us, keep us moving down the rocky river and keep us from serious injury, etc. Yes, we needed these protective helmets and vests. I had a really serious spill/head bump that would have been a hyper "major" problem without that helmet! I really hit that rock hard! The first two pictures show my wife starting her "journey".:

DominicaA13_zpsqylv9xck.jpg

DominicaA15_zpsi4cjrmxi.jpg

DominicaA17_zpsfk5qcktt.jpg

DominicaA16_zpsmfdgxgcx.jpg

DominicaA24_zps3hozhtmj.jpg

Now to the highlight of our visit to this amazing island . . . Carnival in Dominica!! It was so interesting with the loud music, people having fun, certain drinking, plus food to come later in the day after the parade. We were lucky to be here on this special day when the whole local population really celebrated. It was not a "show" put on for us as tourists. It was THEIR celebration and that made it so much more memorable.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 184,754 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few of my photo samples from Dominica's wonderful Carnival parade and celebration during our February 2-15 visit. One of the super big pluses was having it done and twisting in and around their old, historic area of their downtown. So much unique history to bring back there from the "old days" feel that was apart of this island's past.:

DominicaA1_zpsatkds60b.jpg

DominicaA4_zpssicy2z4w.jpg

DominicaA3_zps2yg6tduc.jpg

DominicaA5_zpshg7fkxaj.jpg

DominicaA2_zps7trxrapa.jpg

DominicaA6_zpsxnpqp9fy.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few more visual samples from our afternoon enjoying the Dominica Carnival parade and activities. Plus, some better examples for the architecture and its character in their largest city and capital.

Per Wikipedia, Roseau, the capital and largest city of Dominica, has a population of 16,582. It is a small and compact urban settlement, located within the Saint George parish and surrounded by the Caribbean Sea, the Roseau River and Morne Bruce. Built on the site of the ancient Kalinago Indian village of Sairi, it is the oldest and most important urban settlement on the island of Dominica. It is located on the west (leeward) coast of Dominica and is a combination of somewhat modern and colonial (French Style) architecture. Roseau is Dominica's most important port for foreign trade, including for shipping out exports such as bananas, bay oil, vegetables, grapefruit, oranges, and cocoa.

As we experienced and my photos reflect, the central district of Roseau is tightly packed with small and large houses and some larger modern concrete structures. There is little green or open space situated within the city, and this is even more so today, as many of the courtyards which was once commonplace within the city are giving way to office space. No other center in the region has such extensive botanical gardens with such central location. The Roseau River is among the largest rivers that flow through any Caribbean capital. The urban structure of Central Roseau is based on an irregular grid system of miniature proportions, making it relatively easy for a visitor to get lost there. That is part of the "fun", but, overall, it is not a large area with the sea fairly close and nearby.

Please share more here in words and/or pictures from your experiences in Dominica. Sadly, it might be some time before their challenged infrastructure can be restored and brought bucket conditions prior to the storm damage.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,541 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are three more examples for the "action" from our fun during Dominica's Carnival parade and festivities. The steel drum band was one of the most entertaining parts from these activities. This parade segment really had that super Caribbean "music feel" to keep the wonderful memories fresh and alive in our minds for the future. I got a great video sampling for this music and fun.:

DominicaA10_zpsresvzver.jpg

DominicaA7_zpsluayczkz.jpg

DominicaA11_zps2umosz3h.jpg

We found the architecture and character of Dominica to be totally fascinating. Loved its style, the people, etc.!! Much of this island, as described by our ship's expert destination expert Corey Sandler, is like the Caribbean from three decades back before things got too development and so overly commercialized. Here are three examples for certain of their buildings, balconies, roof lines, a church, etc., from Dominica.:

DominicaA9_zpsfztgf30v.jpg

DominicaA8_zpsbqi4iruj.jpg

DominicaA12_zpstgeyc0eq.jpg

You made me scroll thru my pics. Here are a few from around the island.

Appreciate the sharing of your images and experiences from Dominica. The good news is that the tropical storm that hit Dominica has slowed down, not become a hurricane and is not heading up the eastern coast of the U.S. BUT, sadly, the damage has been done to Dominica and a few other Caribbean places.

Below are a few more visuals from my files that I had not previously posted. Please share more of your memories, pictures, etc., from Dominica.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 117,699 views for this posting.

Here are some of my added Dominica visuals from my file from our wonderful Feb. 2015 visit there. This roadway first shown was kind of an exception compared to many we drove on. This one was smooth and in fairly good conditions. Many others were not at this level. Next are four different views from in and around the main downtown of their capital of Roseau. Not a boring and/or bland area with its buildings and local "character". Finally, a departing shot as we sailed away showing the drama of their mountains, the water and wooded areas.:

Aug2015PixsA8_zps5frlsvms.jpg

Aug2015PixsA11_zps72hrb4iy.jpg

Aug2015PixsA9_zpsnp5ybaat.jpg

Aug2015PixsA10_zpsflwbjanh.jpg

Aug2015PixsA12_zpsxmdnchq0.jpg

Aug2015PixsA13_zps0tf4wvdg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In case those planning to visit Dominica had not seen this info, here are several news source updates in the past two days. From examiner.com yesterday afternoon, they have this headline: "Dominica faces half a billion dollars in infrastructure damage, airport to open".

Here are some of their story highlights: "Clean up alone could cost 12 million dollars as the government of Dominica continues to assess the impact of Tropical Storm Erika. The Prime Minister says that 35 people are still missing and officials say the death toll is expected to climb to 35. In an e-mail sent to Examiner.com Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit’s tourism officials detailed the status of the country 12 days after the storm. Most of the country's natural attractions such as Trafalgar Falls, Mero Beach, Cabarets National Park, and Spanny Falls, were largely unaffected. Roads are now passable but there are many temporary bypasses. Water has been restored to 70% of the island. Electricity and cell phone sites are over 90% operational. 72 of the 94 hotel and resort properties are operational through many are shut down for repairs during their annual September/October closures. All sea ports are functioning though the first cruise ship scheduled for a port of call does not arrive till October. Heavy emphasis is being placed on opening the Douglas-Charles Airport Portions of the runway were damaged and the terminal building was swamped with mud and debris."

From Travel Weekly, they have this headline: "Most Dominica attractions are open but main airport remans closed" with these highlights: "The ferry terminal, Roseau Cruise Ship Berth and the Woodbridge Bay Port were unaffected by Erika, Piper said. Sites and attractions unaffected by the storm include Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, Jako Falls, Mero Beach, Cabrits National Park, Indian River, Kalinago Barana Aute, Botanical Gardens, Concord River pool area, Bois Colette Estate and Soufriere Scenic Tour. Minor repairs to Spanny Falls will be completed before the first cruise ship docks in Dominica in October."

Both of these media stories are based mostly on info from the government and/or tourism officials. Maybe the October, November and December cruise stops can happen. Good luck to people living there and hopefully those visitors can enjoy the same beauty and charm that we loved there in February 2015.

Full stories at:

http://www.examiner.com/article/dominica-faces-half-a-billion-dollars-infrastructure-damage-airport-to-open

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Most-Dominica-attractions-are-open-but-main-airport-remans-closed

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

Now at 28,564 views for these postings.

• 3 weeks later...

In re-checking some pictures files for St. Maartens, I discovered a few visuals from Dominica that had not been grouped properly. Below are a few of the better, more interesting pictures that had not been previously posted.

Having the rainbows add to the interest and "color" for this beautiful island. Hopefully this is a positive sign for their future after their recent tropical storm challenges.

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

These Dominica pictures include showing the P&O cruise ship that was docked next to ours. Love the rainbows that I am sure are not uncommon for a heavily-wood location with so many rainforests.:

Sept2015PixsA72_zps5cgwflxh.jpg

Sept2015PixsA71_zpssuna5bit.jpg

Sept2015PixsA74_zpsv0mtivsk.jpg

Sept2015PixsA73_zpsgfklehlp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the New York Times Travel Section this weekend, they have this headline: "On Dominica, a Carnival Celebration as It Was Meant to Be".

Here are a few of the story highlights: "The island prides itself on a Carnival that stays true to its 18th-century roots: a European pre-Lent bacchanal, co-opted by slaves mimicking their French and British colonizers and infusing the festivities with West African folklore. While many Caribbean Carnivals are dominated by armies of revelers sporting made-in-China beads-and-bikini ensembles, in Dominica modern mas is overshadowed by a different cast of characters. Behold the bwa-bwa, stilt dancers in blindingly bright outfits, arms outstretched to the sky, as if to touch every Creole-style balcony along the charming streets of Roseau, Dominica’s capital. Devils roam freely, painted head-to-toe in every imaginable hue; 'tourist' bands ape visitors who began arriving in the early 20th century, sporting outsized parasols and grand hats."

This writer also notes: "And oh, that music. I love Carnival’s calypso; I adore its modern-day, studio-produced descendant, soca. But in Dominica, Carnival is really about the ecstasy of dancing under the moon".

Nice story and summary that brings back wonderful memories from during our visit there in February.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/travel/dominica-carnival-caribbean-islands.html?action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 123,417 views for this posting.

From the New York Times Travel Section Nov. 2014, they have this headline and quote: "Who Needs a Beach When You’ve Got This?". The subhead is: "Waterfalls, Rivers and Rain Forest on Dominica".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Caribbean islands had begun to feel interchangeable to me. All focused on the white fringe and the unvarying S’s — sun, sand, sea, SPF. One of the larger islands in the Lesser Antilles, Dominica is also one of the least known. It’s sometimes confused with the more populous Dominican Republic. Probably one reason for its obscurity is its lack of the feature most vacationers want — those long white beaches. A young island, Dominica has several active and dormant volcanoes and, as a local man, Ronald, told me, 'more mountains than people.' What beaches there are normally have black or golden sand, and they’re usually just commas in between rock cliffs."

There are lots of pictures, travel details and tips/ideas contained in this profile. If considering Dominica, this story is worth checking and saving in your files.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/travel/waterfalls-rivers-and-rain-forest-on-dominica.html

Now at 30,032 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Washington Post Travel Section Oct. 15, they have this headline: "What Dominica is: Beautiful, natural. What it’s not: Cluttered with resorts." with these highlights: "Most travelers hit on Dominica — or Waitukubuli, in the island’s native Kalinago language — during a half-day shore excursion on a cruise, the equivalent of speed-dating the Caribbean islands. In a longer visit, even a few days, the distinctively natural character of Dominica emerges. It’s defined partly by what the island is not. The airport is not large enough for a commercial jet. There’s no wall of Westin, Hilton, Ritz-Carlton; no Hyatt, no high-rise hotels on these shores at all. No golf courses, even! The lack of homogenizing resortification is because of Dominica’s coastline, which is nearly all big round rocks or sheer cliffs — very few sand beaches."

This writer also notes: "Dominica’s self-description as 'the Nature Island' turns out to be more than just an advertising slogan. A quarter of its exquisite landscapes are protected as national parks. Visitors come here for small-scale resorts in quiet floral settings. Some might even come because they’ve heard this billed as one of the world’s 10 best ethical travel destinations. Even more, they come for better odds of engagement with the place itself, instead of pool decks"

Nice article with lots of details for those considering a visit, for hopefully more than just a brief cruise visit, to this scenic location. They note that there are many kinds of opportunities found in the volcanic interior, with steep ridges and ravines. These areas lie under a blanket of rich, dense rain forest. There are more than 300 rivers you can visit to see a series of cascades and grottoes.

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/what-dominica-is-beautiful-natural-what-its-not-cluttered-with-resorts/2015/10/15/93010034-f5c4-11e4-b2f3-af5479e6bbdd_story.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 187,577 views.

• 4 weeks later...

From the USA Today newspaper Friday, they have this headline: "Readers' Choice: Best of the Caribbean" with these highlights: "The Caribbean is a diverse region filled with adventure, bold flavors, shopping opportunities and plenty of places to party. We asked readers to name the best for adventure, food, golf, shopping and nightlife. For the past four weeks, readers have been voting daily and the results are in!"

Dominica did super well for adventure!! In category, Dominica was ranked third best in the Caribbean, just behind #1 Dominican Republic and #2 Haiti. At fourth and fifth were Bonaire and Puerto Rico Island. As noted earlier, we very much loved our day in Dominica with its excellent range/offerings of outdoor activities, size, people, architecture and character.

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2015/11/13/10best-readers-choice-caribbean-winners/75722646/

Now at 32,319 views for these postings.

Did you do any private tour? If so, which one. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. THanks. iris

Sorry, did not do a private tour. We did our river tubing through our ship as the pricing from them was not too bad and it made our logistics/set-up easier.

On these boards through others posts, I have seen some private tour options/names mentioned. BUT, we have not used them. Good luck for having a great time on Dominica.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,325 views for this posting.

Can you tell me how the Island is after the last storm? We are going here in January. Not sure if we should get off the ship or not. Thank you!!

Good question!! Yes, there was some major storm damage, especially affecting certain parts of their infrastructure in some areas on this island. BUT, I would strongly urge getting off of the ship. As my pictures reflect, the natural beauty of this island is amazing. PLUS, the main, central town has lots of character, history, architecture, etc., worth seeing. The independent, media reports have been limited, but as I have read, things are mostly open and available on the island. Your ship tour people should have more current updates as to your available options and potentials.

Unlike some Caribbean islands that are over-developed and too, too commercial, Dominica is more of the "real deal" that is very much worth sampling. Do visit this island and report back after your January trip.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,468 views.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Times Travel Section of London/UK, they have this headline: "Welcome to Dominica, the Jurassic Park of the Caribbean" with these highlights: "Often mistaken for the Dominican Republic, this small island is little visited by tourists — a perfect eco-hideaway. Positioned between French-influenced Guadeloupe and Martinique in the eastern Caribbean, Dominica is mostly overlooked (lots of people said to me: “Have a nice time in the Dominican Republic!”). Its heart is lodged between two volcanic massifs: Morne Trois Pitons and Morne Diablotin. From here, hundreds of streams cascade down to create gorges and waterfalls. The mountainous terrain has few human inhabitants to bother it — its peaks scaling 5,000 ft, tropical forests (65 per cent of the landscape is rainforest), 365 rivers, and kaleidoscope of plants and animals remain untainted."

This writer also notes: "Dominica is not about lying comatose on a sun lounger. There are no brochure-perfect, white-sand beaches, no international airport, and fewer tourists compared with other Caribbean islands. But it offers a life-affirming slug of nature in the raw experience that’s unparalleled. Dominica is a lush reminder of what the world looked like before overdevelopment and time eroded our nature."

Full story at:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/travel/destinations/caribbean/article4216777.ece

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 55,556 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• 4 weeks later...

hi I amLorraine from Philadelphia and just came upon your amazing blogs with the best photos ever....I thank you for your sharing with all of us.

I just bookmarked your Venice threads as we will be back for the umpteenth time in April.....my most favorite european city and yes as long as I can I will always return ....

Happy New Year from DH Charles and me!!!

hi I am Lorraine from Philadelphia and just came upon your amazing blogs with the best photos ever....I thank you for your sharing with all of us. I just bookmarked your Venice threads as we will be back for the umpteenth time in April.....my most favorite european city and yes as long as I can I will always return .... Happy New Year from DH Charles and me!!!

Appreciate so much, Lorraine, your very kind comments and nice follow-up. Glad you liked my photos and this travel sharing. Love your historic town of Philadelphia and its many attractions, etc.

Getting ready in three week to depart for South Africa and Botswana. Will have many more great places from which to post more visuals, be sharing interesting background, good sailing experiences, etc. Glad that you also like Venice. You might notice on the Italy board about a potential new tourist tax/control to deal with some of that town's serious challenges.

Best to you and your husband. Feel free to post any added comments, questions, etc., on any of my other live/blogs or postings.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,764 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 months later...
Getting ready in three week to depart for South Africa and Botswana. Will have many more great places from which to post more visuals, be sharing interesting background, good sailing experiences, etc.

To update for those interested in exciting visuals and different locations, we are back safely from four weeks in South Africa, Botswana, etc.

We enjoyed great sights, many safari/animal experiences and wonderful adventure times!! Lots of pictures on my live/blog and this trip detailing can be seen at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now over 10,300 views for this reporting that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc., etc.

Ohio was not too bad for the time while we traveled below the Equator this year, but the weather for these southern parts of Africa was much warmer and sunnier than what we would have experienced in the Midwest during these challenging winter periods.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at nearly 138,000 views for this posting.

• 2 months later...

From the BVI News earlier this month, they have this headline: "Dominica: Minister says country should not change name". Interesting question!! What difference does a name make?

A suggestion that Dominica should change its name in order to boost the tourism industry has been dismissed by their Tourism Minister, Robert Tonge. Some are worried on the confusion and/or name recognition issues among those Spanish speaking as to the Dominican Republic. The Dominica tourism director believes the answer lies in marketing the island about its natural beauty, not just changing the name of the island.

The story has this quote from their tourism minister: “Many say that we should change the name of Dominica but after thinking quite a bit, I think I have come to a different realization. If an individual knows of Dominica then they will not mistake us for the Dominican Republic, so obviously we have a lot more to do with regards to marketing our country properly.”

I had not thought much of this confusion. Clearly, however, until we visited there, we never appreciated and understood all of the beauty and charm that exists on Dominica. How do those raise the island's profile and awareness?

Full story at:

http://bvinews.com/new/dominica-minister-says-country-should-not-change-name/

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 31,920 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

[until we visited there, we never appreciated and understood all of the beauty and charm that exists on Dominica. How do those raise the island's profile and awareness?

QUOTE]

I think they would do well to step back and take a larger look. They may not be making a lot of money, but at least they have a relatively unspoiled country. There might be worse things - such as turning into another suburb of USA, Inc.

Edited by Lard Greystoke

• 2 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph in June, they have this headline: "Just Back: The enchanted rainforests of Dominica" with these highlights for the writer's summary on her: "breathtaking climb into the rainforests of the Caribbean island of Dominica".

She also notes: "I become ensnared in this prison of foliage, yet I feel a sense of independence and freedom with each step."

Interesting story, pictures and details from an island that we loved so much from our visit there.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/caribbean/dominica/articles/just-back-the-enchanted-rainforests-of-dominica/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,496 views.

• 1 month later...
On Dominica and its recent tragedy during the past few days, I am sharing some added details and pictures. In February 2015, we super enjoyed this island that has such great history and super scenic settings. Below are some visuals that I had not previously posted on my live/blog to offer an idea on the islands beauty and city development situation. In later posts, I will share added visuals for what we did both on our "tubing" adventure AND while being in their downtown during the afternoon for their wonderful Carnival parade.

Great memories from Dominica and a sincere love/sympathy for their warm-hearted people. Hopefully, others will share their experiences, visuals, etc.

Here is more background on Dominica. It is pronounced Do-min-EE-kah. From the Cruise Critic website, they say this island promised to be unlike any other stop for our itinerary. They say to "prepare to slow down, take in the scenery, breathe fresh air, sample fruit right off the trees and experience nature in a way unique to few places on earth."

The island has impressive national parks and Dominica ranks as one of the top sites for ecco-tourism and scuba-diving in the Caribbean. Its beaches are mostly rocky. The island features no chain hotels or big-box mega-stores, though there are a Pizza Hut and KFC in Roseau, the capital city. This was a big change for us compared to what we experienced too much in the Dutch ABC islands.

Dominica was originally populated by the Carib tribe of Indians. The island gets its name from Christopher Columbus, who first spotted the land in 1493 on a Sunday. (Domenica means "Sunday" in Italian.) Understand its naming?? In the 1800's, the French and British fought for control of the island. If you glance at a map of Dominica, it's clear by the town names that the French populated the South (Roseau, Soufriere), while the British occupied the North (Portsmouth).

Eventually, the British conquered the French portion of the island and maintained control until 1978, when Dominica gained independence. Dominica has survived with a predominantly agricultural-based economy that includes bananas. Tourism also remains strong, with Dominica attracting a stream of naturalists who flock to the island to see 172 types of birds, 12 major waterfalls and peaks that rise up to 5,000 feet.

Whale-watchers also come in hordes to explore the waters that plunge to nearly 6,000 feet right off the coastline, providing a base for seven types of whales that can be seen nearly year-round, including a resident population of sperm whales. Weather on the island averages 77F degrees in winter, 82F in summer, although it's cooler in the mountains, humid in the rain forest and warmer on the coast. The driest months are January through April, but Cruise Critic warns to not be surprised if you experience a brief downpour every day.

Now at 27,412 views for these postings.

From Dominica, here are a sampling of pictures from Feb. 2015, that I have not posted previously on my live/blog. First, is a general coastal view giving an idea for how much forest or rainforest is there, plus some of their many main mountains and dramatic terrain. Next are some examples of a rocky river and other sights as we did a "tubing" adventure in Dominica along one of their scenic locations.:

Aug2015PixsA2_zps8a5glegu.jpg

Aug2015PixsA6_zps9fni6vqa.jpg

Aug2015PixsA7_zpsytkg5tzi.jpg

Aug2015PixsA5_zpsienvffbf.jpg

The main town/capital of Dominica is Roseau. Here are two of my visuals from this main part of town. This give you a sampling of its "infrastructure" and the wide variety of buildings there. We loved its "character and style", but clearly their wiring and other aspects there are not all "modern, strong and 21st Century". That will make fixing and re-building there to be so much harder. The Commonwealth of Dominica had a total population of 72,301 from their 2014 Census:

Aug2015PixsA4_zpsl4sg8cbp.jpg

Aug2015PixsA3_zpsyis6li9f.jpg

Holy Cow!!!