Norwegian Gift Cards or On Board Credit

bella2230

This is my first time on the Norwegian Cruise Line. I have read many reviews (nightmares) with regard to using credit cards for on board purchases.

My questions:

If I use cash for my on board spending, how much would I need to put down when I open my account.

Is it better to have on board credit or Norwegian gift cards.

If I have over $100.00 for on board credit, will they use that first or would i even have to put money on my account.

I am just nervous using my credit card.

Any advice?

Thank you

Robyn

I would buy on board credit for how ever much u think your going to use for the trip and I believe unused credit can be refunded ( someone might like to share this experiences on this ? )

And register ur credit card then if u stay with in your onboard credit there will be no charges to your credit card they will put a hold on your card when u check in but if u don't go over then it will be released back to your card with no charges

Also I like to prepay my dsc shore trips and dining before I board to all I have to worry about on the ship is tips for outstanding service, treating myself in the shops and drinks

I've been on over 35 cruises (not all on NCL) and have never had an issue using my credit card to pay for my onboard spending.

I would check with NCL, if you want to use cash, to see how much they require. I've read $300 per person, but not sure how accurate it is.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thank you. I have not been on a cruise in about 10 years and it was Celebrity. I know that things have changed so was just making sure.

I am planning on bringing some cash as well as to not use my credit card on the islands.

Was just wondering if it is easier to use cash for on board spending.

Thank you. I have not been on a cruise in about 10 years and it was Celebrity. I know that things have changed so was just making sure.

I am planning on bringing some cash as well as to not use my credit card on the islands.

Was just wondering if it is easier to use cash for on board spending.

Is the reason you are concerned about using your CC because of security and potential theft? If so, consider using a prepaid credit card. That's what we do when traveling. It helps reduce some of the excess spending. Cash is still needed in some places that don't accept CCs.

I have never had any issues using my CC when traveling. I do notify the issuing company that I will be traveling out of town or out of the country so the card is not denied while on vacation. I also let them know ahead of time when the final payment is going to go on the card.

I feel that using cash for your on board account is silly if you have a CC because I believe you need to put down $300 per person and if you don't use it all you will need to stand in line to get a refund or wait for them to send you a check. Additionally if you spend all of it then you will need to go back in line and add more. I would just use the CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to have to put a credit card on hold for backups even if you use cash or have enough cash to cover all of it. Yes, they use your onboard credit first before charging your card on "qualifying" purchases. NCL doesnt allow you to use onboard credit for daily service charges but onboard credit from your travel agent or elsewhere can be used for that. The only thing going on your card at the end is the overage. If you are worried about your spending then budget out how much you want to spend and keep track during the week. You can go to the pursers/information desk and get a printout everyday of your charges or you can access it on the TV in your cabin.

You are going to have to put a credit card on hold for backups even if you use cash or have enough cash to cover all of it. Yes, they use your onboard credit first before charging your card on "qualifying" purchases. NCL doesnt allow you to use onboard credit for daily service charges but onboard credit from your travel agent or elsewhere can be used for that. The only thing going on your card at the end is the overage. If you are worried about your spending then budget out how much you want to spend and keep track during the week. You can go to the pursers/information desk and get a printout everyday of your charges or you can access it on the TV in your cabin.

This is not correct. You can use only cash as I have done it before. It just becomes a pain for the reasons I mention in my post above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first time on the Norwegian Cruise Line. I have read many reviews (nightmares) with regard to using credit cards for on board purchases.

My questions:

If I use cash for my on board spending, how much would I need to put down when I open my account.

Is it better to have on board credit or Norwegian gift cards.

If I have over $100.00 for on board credit, will they use that first or would i even have to put money on my account.

I am just nervous using my credit card.

Any advice?

Thank you

Robyn

why would you be nervous about using your cc? Most of us do it all the time. If you have an OBC or a gift card the line will use that first. If you are nervous, just make sure you check you account daily, but dealing with cash can be a pain in the you know what for everyone. If you use up the amount you put up you have to add to it. Just keep it simple for heavens sake. I don't know what horror stories you have seen or read, but don't believe everything you see or read. 90% of it is over exagerated.