Airline delayed luggage pre cruise

cambb

Hi,

I'm currently booked on the Carnival Breeze for a March sailing from Miami. I'm flying in from the UK and I'm currently pricing up my flights. I've got a concern that if i fly into Miami the day before the cruise, landing at 2100, what happens if my checked luggage is delayed and doesn't arrive on the flight.

Would I be able to divert the baggage to Jamaica our first stop and have to just buy enough clothes to see us through?

Thanks

Put a list in a pocket on the outside of each piece of luggage that you have.

The list should have your hotel name and address as well as the itinerary and dates for each port. Also list the ship's name and date of travel.

Remember to attach your cruise luggage tags that have the name of your ship on it. I put one on each handle.

The list should have your hotel name and address as well as the itinerary and dates for each port. Also list the ship's name and date of travel.

Remember to attach your cruise luggage tags that have the name of your ship on it. I put one on each handle.

Always a good idea to put your itinerary (hotel, cruise information) inside your suitcase. I usually put on top of my packing on a sheet of paper highlighted "schedule." I use hard-sided luggage so don't have pockets.

I would never put cruise luggage tags on prior to flying. In fact my local airport check in removes any extra tags so there is no confusion. Keep your cruise tags and put on when you are going to the port.

It is always a worry about losing or delayed luggage, but try to convince myself considering the number of people traveling it really doesn't happen that often.

When our baggage was lost, we reported the loss to the airline and the cruise line. They took care of everything, including the free loan of a tuxedo and shoes. Cruise Insurance took care of item we had to purchase while awaiting luggage. We received it late in the day of the first port.

The best idea is to put enough clothing in your carryon to last you through the cruise in case your checked bag doesn't make it. Two extra shirts, extra shorts, clean underwear. I have a cruise wardrobe that is light enough that I could do the whole cruise with just a carryon. EM

When our baggage was lost, we reported the loss to the airline and the cruise line. They took care of everything, including the free loan of a tuxedo and shoes. Cruise Insurance took care of item we had to purchase while awaiting luggage. We received it late in the day of the first port.

Thanks for the reply.

So they arranged for it to be delivered to the 1st port of call?

Since you are arriving a day early, SHOULD your bags be delayed, there's time to get them to you BEFORE the cruise!

ALWAYS put a copy of your itinerary in an unlocked, outside pocket in each suitcase...along with your cell phone #...

Also, cross-pack...a bit of something for everyone in each bag. The odds of ALL your bags getting lost is small...should 1 bag go missing, everyone will have something!!

Also, make sure the ONLY tag on the bag is the airlines...don't put ship's tags or old flight tags on the bag...just the airline's tag for THIS trip! No sense in confusing the airlines more than they already are!

Edited by cb at sea

As fellow UK travellers I would never travel the day before for a cruise. You quite simply may miss the start of it.

Airline delays and cancellations are all too common. We always book at least two nights pre cruise and enjoy as part of the holiday.

I honestly do not want to worry you but when travelling so far I do think you are taking a risk.

For those who fly Delta, the Fly Delta app for your phone has real-time luggage tracking. You can be sitting in your seat and find out if your bags have made it into the cargo hold. Great for your peace of mind.

Works with either your cellular service or while airborne using the inflight wifi. No internet charge for using the DL app. (plus you can use it to track your current flight and find details on your upcoming connections).

Our airport forbids any other tag (cruise tag)on the luggage before a flight.

When our baggage was lost, we reported the loss to the airline and the cruise line.

Yes. When your bags don't show up on the carousel:

Step 1: Go to the relevant airline baggage office and file a claim. Your claim form will include a file reference number, a description of the bag, where you want the bag sent to you, and other identifying information. If appropriate, give them the entire cruise itinerary.

Step 2: Follow the progress of your claim online using the file reference number and the web address provided to you.

Don't bother with putting cruise tags on your luggage prior to a flight. They are merely a distraction to the airline. The only tags that matter are your personal identifying tags and the official bag tag that the airline attaches. The only way the airline knows where to forward your bag is by your claim information. Do put identifying information inside your bag as well as outside.

I am mystified by posters (on similar threads) who seem to believe that attaching a cruise tag is all they need do for the airline to forward their bags. No, GO FILE A CLAIM. That is both necessary and sufficient.

Another vote for checking immediately with the airline luggage office if your bag does not show up on the carousel.

I always have a connection when I fly, not just for cruises. On a trip a few weeks ago my bag was not on the carousel. My immediate thought was thank goodness it's a family visit and not a cruise!

When I went to the office my bag, along with several others, was sitting there. My bag had made an earlier flight. I had chosen a "safer" connection. Luggage office indicated the earlier flight had been at the next gate to where I had landed making for a speedy transfer of my bag, so they had shipped it ahead.

This has happened before - just wish when the original flight comes in (with the passenger) that they would just go put the bag on the carousel! Would had saved me time, and concern.

This has happened before - just wish when the original flight comes in (with the passenger) that they would just go put the bag on the carousel! Would had saved me time, and concern.

At a certain point in time after bags have been put on the carousel, airline staffers will come by and take off any that are "left behind". They go to the airline's baggage office into a holding area.

If you watch a baggage office, you will see that they rarely have "free time". To do as you ask, they would have to look up that specific bag's original itinerary, then cross check to verify that the passenger has made that flight, then watch for when the passenger is arriving (keeping track of an inbound), then move the bag to the proper carousel, all while taking care of the queue of people who haven't gotten their bag.

As mentioned above, if you fly Delta, you can have baggage tracking for your bag on your phone or computer. In your case, you would have been informed that you bag was actually on the earlier flight and could have gone straight to the office rather than wait around until all the other bags had been put on the carousel. Can't speak to the apps for other carriers, but it can't hurt to have the one for your airline on your phone. Good for many things, even as an infrequent flyer.

If you arrive anywhere in the US and your luggage is missing, after baggage claim and filing a report, jump in a taxi and head for Walmart or Target or Macy's to buy enough stuff to get by just in case your luggage never shows up. You can even buy a cheap suitcase for the new items. That way, if your stuff doesn't show up, then at least you will have peace of mind and all needed clothes for the cruise and it it does show up, hopefully you packed sparingly and the new items will mesh with the old items and provide you more options.

For those who fly Delta, the Fly Delta app for your phone has real-time luggage tracking. You can be sitting in your seat and find out if your bags have made it into the cargo hold. Great for your peace of mind.

Works with either your cellular service or while airborne using the inflight wifi. No internet charge for using the DL app. (plus you can use it to track your current flight and find details on your upcoming connections).

So do you really want to know that you are on the plane and your luggage isn't. Not much that you can do about it at this time.

I would much prefer to be ignorant about problems such as this until I land.

DON

So do you really want to know that you are on the plane and your luggage isn't. Not much that you can do about it at this time.

I would much prefer to be ignorant about problems such as this until I land.

What's the old line....if ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people around? Plus it makes it easier to bitch about those damned airlines.

Had a flight to BCN via JFK where I found out through the app that my luggage had missed being put onto the originating flight (there were TSA screening issues that day for many bags). But the app told me the bag was on its way to BCN via AMS and would arrive 3 hours after I arrived. With this info, I went straight to the baggage office, not waiting for the carousel. The agent was amazed when I told them it was coming 3 hours from now and please send it to my hotel.....but then looked it up and said "how'd you know that?"

As for "not much you can do"....well, they won't let you off to help find it in the luggage room. But you can now be prepared - you can have your hotel info written down to give to the baggage agents. Or if heading directly to a cruise, you can have the ship details and itinerary written out. Which makes the claim process go faster and easier. And if it isn't showing at all on any flight, you can know that you will have to find a store quickly to stock up on some stuff. All of which takes time - and the app saves that.

But then, some people like to go through life with as little information as possible.

One suggestion I have is to see whether you can get International calls on your phone for a limited basis. Two years ago we flew Albany-Toronto-Heathrow on Air Canada. The bags made it to Toronto but never were loaded on the flight to Heathrow - as we found out when we landed in London. We filed a claim with the baggage office, gave them our hotel information and DH's cell phone number - and they were very good at keeping us informed as to where our bags actually were. Now, we flew from Toronto on a Friday evening, arriving in London Saturday morning - and our bags still didn't arrive at our hotel until Sunday evening. We had planned two nights in London and one in Dover, so I'm glad we had time before the cruise.

If you arrive anywhere in the US and your luggage is missing, after baggage claim and filing a report, jump in a taxi and head for Walmart or Target or Macy's to buy enough stuff to get by just in case your luggage never shows up. You can even buy a cheap suitcase for the new items. That way, if your stuff doesn't show up, then at least you will have peace of mind and all needed clothes for the cruise and it it does show up, hopefully you packed sparingly and the new items will mesh with the old items and provide you more options.

If you take this route, you just need to be aware if your bags do show up the next day, you aren't going to be reimbursed for "all needed clothes for the cruise" that you just purchased.

Edited by 6rugrats

It took almost 2 full days in Amsterdam for my luggage to arrive.

I had just left a pharmacy with a bag of toiletries and was heading to a department store to buy clothing when my Brother called and told me my bag was at the hotel.

I was so, so thankful we had left enough room in our itinerary to allow for having to shop. Half of our party's luggage was delayed in Frankfurt. I wasn't the only one thinking "well, it's 2pm and we board the ship tomorrow. I'd better start thinking about buying more clothes." I had an extra shirt and a set of underwear in my carry on -- that wasn't going to get me through a 2 week cruise.

Do not put your cruise tags on until you are ready to board.....I blame jet lag for blanking on that and after hours in the anchorage airport I finally realized what i'd done....the staff people were"pretty sure" our one,huge bag would have gone to the cruise line.....we spent the next day scrounging the very basics and I was in tears when the ship left and no bag....about midnight a knock at the door and there it was!....first on,last off!......since then we only do carryon . ....more work,less stress...

The best idea is to put enough clothing in your carryon to last you through the cruise in case your checked bag doesn't make it. Two extra shirts, extra shorts, clean underwear. I have a cruise wardrobe that is light enough that I could do the whole cruise with just a carryon. EM

And all your meds and electronics.

Edited by SadieN

This is always a good idea.

I have a T-shirt that I got at a trade show about 12 years ago. It is compressed into a package about the size of a deck of cards. A couple of pairs of underwear, a pair of shorts, and my meds and electronics are in my carryon (along with our passports). Wife has similar stuff in her carryon, but it is larger (of course) but we also have credit cards. In all of our travels over the past 22 years, we only have had one bag lost. (hers of course) and that one was never put on the plane because the handle got torn off and they had no tag to put it on the proper plane. (Business card was in the zippered pocket on the outside, but they never looked.) Fortunately, a baggage clerk in Vancouver convinced her cohort in Phoenix to walk over to America West Baggage and look for the bag. They found it and shipped it to us.

But pack your carryon for at least three days.

Last year when we flew out to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise, there was a baggage handing problem at Heathrow and no baggage for any passenger was on board (they didn't tell us that till we landed). Everyone on the flight had to queue to submit a claim form including where they were staying and in our case the name of the ship.

Not knowing whether we would ever see our luggage during our cruise, before we boarded the ship we spent a couple of hours buying clothes and toiletries to survive the cruise if necessary and enable us to eat in the MDR. This was fully reimbursed by the airline once we submitted receipts on our return.

Princess were also very helpful. We heard there were about 50 people affected from the same flight.

Eventually our cases made it to us in Juneau on the first Wednesday (5 days after our flight). But some people hadn't got theirs by the time they disembarked in Whittier.

Edited by FirstCruiseBeth