cruising with Granddaughters without parents

arcone

Next month i will be cruising with Granddaughters (8 &13). It will our first Grandmother & granddaughters cruise. Hopefully many to follow.

I read it be a good idea to bring a note signed by mom & dad that i have their permission

To take them on the cruise. Does this need to be notarized?

I should have a medical power of attorney, just in case.

i do not think there any medication, i will double check.

Is there anything else i should be sure to bring?

Any suggestions on what to bring for the long plane ride?

Things for my " Mary Popping purse" they call it

Any suggestions to bring on cruise to help make it special.

I am going reserve Dr Seuss breakfast. Is it worth money to

have room decorated first day when we arrive? Inside cabin

Thank You

Next month i will be cruising with Granddaughters (8 &13). It will our first Grandmother & granddaughters cruise. Hopefully many to follow.

I read it be a good idea to bring a note signed by mom & dad that i have their permission

Thank You

Yes the letter should be notarized

and I would have a medical power of attorney again notarized Hope you won't need it but will be very glad if you have to use it.

Do you have a portable DVD player with a few movies?

Movies are a great way to pass time away on the plane

I would have notarized letter from parents

I would have notarized letter for medical reasons from parents

I would have birth certificate or passports to get back on ship from ports

and also to get back into the united states.

when you get back you have to prove to customs they are Americans.

If I am wrong about any of this someone please post for OP

HAPPY SAILING!!!

Thank You

You can decorate yourself, with their help, for a couple of dollars. Before the cruise buy some vinal window clings, maybe fall leaves or pumpkins since it'll be October. Halloween theme if it's late enough in October.

You and the kids have fun decorating the cabin door, the bathroom mirror, the vanity mirror, etc. with clings. I usually just do my cabin door and it helps ID my cabin as I walk the endless hallways.

Use a damp washcloth to wipe where you plan to put the cling. It'll stay put all week and still peel right off at the end of the week.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

I don't know how often you are with your grandchildren, but since my single mom daughter is in the US Navy, we always have a power of attorney to be guardians for my granddaughters. She renews it every year, and we used it twice to take them on cruises when she was deployed. Even though she is stateside right now we keep it updated in case of an emergency while they are visiting us during the summer and weekends. Must be notarized and you need their birth certificates to board. Have a great time.

Make sure you guys go and check out the available options on Camp Carnival. My step-son and younger brother (2 years apart in age, so my brother went on many trips with us) loved many of the Camp Carnival activities they offered. They do a really nice job with supervised entertainment for the kids. Gives them some free time away from you and vice versa.

We've taken our granddaughters on two cruises now and yes you will need to get the permission letter motorized as well as putting in the same letter the right to seek medical care, just in case. We also bring their birth certificates. When we have gone through customs we have never been questioned or had to even show the birth certificates, but it's better to have all the necessary paperwork. Please sign them up for camp Carnival, they will love that, lots to do and kids to play with. To decorate the room go to the dollar store and get the decorations, I use command Velcro strips to hang stuff up with and it leaves no mess. Bring a nite light as the room will be very dark at nite if someone has to go to the bathroom and bring a small power strip without a surge protector. Y'all will have a great time.

We also bring their birth certificates. When we have gone through customs we have never been questioned or had to even show the birth certificates, but it's better to have all the necessary paperwork. .

This is a perfect example of how different cruisers have different experiences.

First let me state I absolutely believe Denisomo, that they didn't have to show the birth certificates.

My experience was very different. When returning this past July my grand children (3 and 11) were traveling with their parents and the little girl is her daddy's mini me and the son is the image of his mother.

Both children were asked for their passports and asked questions. Not the did you have fun on the cruise questions but rather, Who are you with? Is that daddy? Perhaps there had been an incident and they were on high alert.

In any case my point is that it is better to have everything you might need. Circumstance change.

My all time favorite response is

"what are you going to do, say they said it was ok on Cruise Critic?"

Have a wonderful cruise and make memories.

As much documentation as you can bring...bring. Including passports.

My brother and his wife had an experience with their daughter too & she is the spitting image of her mother. As they disembarked, the child (8 at the time) was asked to separate from her parents with a very nice immigration worker (woman). The woman took my niece's passport and asked numerous questions: Spell your last name for me (they have an unusual name); what is your birthday, etc. Meanwhile my poor niece sees her folks getting further and further away, and while trying to keep her composure could only repeat "November" for her birth date. They asked who the man was traveling with her, where they had visited, what city she lived in and all sorts of questions. When she was finally released to her parents she just broke down. Personally I can't imagine what it would have been like WITHOUT the passport. :confused:

I realize all of this is for the protection of the children, and I fully support that. But yes, as much documentation as you can.

Is it worth money to

Thank You

We have been taking our nieces on cruises since a little before those ages and they are in their 20's now.

I've never had do show the letter but we always have notarized permission from the parents to travel with the girls and get any needed medical attention.

Getting them passports made the travel and boarding documentation easy and I would recommend them if you take additional cruises with them.

I don't feel the decorations are worth what they cost. Try bringing something that reminds them of home (pictures of mom and dad or pets) then around that add souvenirs from the trip (post cards, magnets, photos or other trinkets). Let them build the decoration as the trip progresses. Include something from the embarkation port, the ship, the ports of call and maybe even the flight or the airport. Make two sets so they can each take one home to remember the trip.

It's hard to say what they would enjoy on the flight. Kelly took the information card out of the seat pocket and made up stories about all the people in the pictures for an hour on our first flight. Now she loads her phone or ipad with movies, books, and games.

Edited by Miller_KC

I will be cruising with my grandkids also. They are 5 & 6. Is it necessary for me to get a state ID card for them? I will have a notarized form to allow me to take them out of the county and also the medical form. I also will have their birth certificates with the raised seal. The state ID will cost me $40 for the two of them. I would rather give them that money for something else. Thanks for the input.

Edited by smarks

I will be cruising with my grandkids also. They are 5 & 6. Is it necessary for me to get a state ID card for them? I will have a notarized form to allow me to take them out of the county and also the medical form. I also will have their birth certificates with the raised seal. The state ID will cost me $40 for the two of them. I would rather give them that money for something else. Thanks for the input.

Cruisers 16 and older need a government issued photo ID. Your little ones can sail on their BC only.

Just a friendly note about the raised seal. Many states no longer use the embossed or raised seal. I know in Texas it went out of use in the 80's. What is most important about the Birth Certificate is that it be issued from the Office of Vital Statics rather than a hospital copy.

Edited by springs741

My Children are adults but when my youngest two were 5 and 6 oldest was 8 we went on a cruise and I had gotten State ID cards for them. I do not know how other states issue State IDs but in Texas you get them at the DMV. So the ID look like Drivers license card. Some good points to having this done is your child has been fingerprinted and it is on file with the state if anything should happen later. My kids loved there state IDs. Now at 27,23,22 they all still have the original state ID's .