Real answer on Power strips

is it this one? I see these in photo reviews all the time

31L%2BpI123aL._SY300_.jpg

This is the one I pack in my carry-on and it's never caused a problem.

In the cabin, I only use it when I'm there, and I stow it out of sight when I'm out, just in case there's a flash crack-down and they start confiscating stuff.

This is the one I pack in my carry-on and it's never caused a problem.

In the cabin, I only use it when I'm there, and I stow it out of sight when I'm out, just in case there's a flash crack-down and they start confiscating stuff.

Note on the Belkin....they make two versions. The difference seems to be the USB output. One won't charge tablets. Just fyi.

Edited by shellunderwater

Out of curiosity, if they confiscate something, do you ever get it back at end of cruise? Just wondering.... Never heard of the Belkin getting confiscated, but it was $20 (course it is now $2.50 less than I paid on Amazon!:)). And I guess some items could be of significant value...

The "real answer" is extension cords are prohibited and power strips are not. Power strips with an integrated extension cord may well be confiscated, depending on the port, the water temperature, lunar influence on the tide, or random earth wobble.

The handful of maritime engineers who hang out on this board will tell you there's a risk of fire from surge protectors, and that they won't function correctly on the ships electric system anyway (your stuff will still fry if there's actually a problem). The cruise lines have apparently conducted the risk assessment recommended by the Coast Guard and determined the risk of alienating customers by confiscating their Belkin surge protectors is greater than the fire risk.

AND, to make a foolish consistency even less consistent, there are MULTIPLE reports on this board of RCCL cruisers with a CPAP or similar device who were provided a horribly maintained extension cord and a power strip...

Edited by markeb

I have used the Belkin Outlets To Go (4 socket) Power Adapter on over 50 Cruises.

It plugs into itself and does not present a plug and looks like an electronic device.

Belkin1.jpg

Belkin2.jpg

That is what I bring but it is called Monster Outlets to Go. Not Belkin. Lately though since all my devices are good for 110 to 240 volts I bring two Euro Plug adapters so that gives me four outlets since most ships have two North American outlets and two Euro outlets.

can't imagine needing a power strip. The 2 in the cabin work fine

PLEASE, like two little outlets will work for me! I guess you have never bought a Laptop, a DeskTop computer with monitor and printer, 5 cameras, 2 video cameras, a night light, power toothbrush, powered shaver, a Humidifier(to help me sleep),Dehumidifier(to remove want the humidifier did the night before) and a DVD player to want better tv with you on a 4 night cruise. I find my 6ft. power strip works perfect for all my needs while I'm on vacation.

11896298_10201025340031408_4906446316521318146_o.jpg

PLEASE, like two little outlets will work for me! I guess you have never bought a Laptop, a DeskTop computer with monitor and printer, 5 cameras, 2 video cameras, a night light, power toothbrush, powered shaver, a Humidifier(to help me sleep),Dehumidifier(to remove want the humidifier did the night before) and a DVD player to want better tv with you on a 4 night cruise. I find my 6ft. power strip works perfect for all my needs while I'm on vacation.

But no waffle maker?

11896298_10201025340031408_4906446316521318146_o.jpg

Now THIS is an accessory worthy of the Galaxy Class ship coming in 2020! (Of course, the date is merely a rumor)

Now THIS is an accessory worthy of the Galaxy Class ship coming in 2020! (Of course, the date is merely a rumor)

I thought the date was actually 41153.7 :)

You plug that thing into the matter/anti-matter reactor, just make sure the dilithium crystals are energized...

I bring an extension cord with 3 plug ins. It's not a surge protector. I have brought it on 17 cruises and it's never been stopped or questioned. The main reason I bring it, is that some outlets are recessed which means plugging in chargers is impossible as most are larger than the recessed area.

The issue is you can not bring an extension cord. Power strips that have the extension cord built in may be confiscated.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=2608&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

Hey Cigar King, I have been trying to catch up with you since our cruise. I lost your business card.

I bring a Belkin (for the USB ports) and also a power strip that only has a short cord attached to it (like a foot or less, probably only eight inches).

I've taken both on Navigator and Freedom and not had any problems with either. Left both out on the desk for the duration of the cruise and the room attendant never raised an eyebrow at them, either.

For those who don't need more than two plugs, fine. Some of us have cell phones, MP3 players, cameras, tablets, Kindles, hair dryers, curling/flat irons, etc.

Yes, you could rotate and only charge a couple at a time, but I like to plug things in at night and start the day with all my devices fully charged, not make multiple trips back to my room all day long to unplug one thing and plug another in.

And, as stated, the big clunky transformers on some chargers mean that they either don't fit in the plugs provided by the ship, or they don't fit at the same time as another transformer because one will partially cover the area needed by the other. Having the option of moving the plugs around is a very valid concern when transformers are involved instead of a regular plug end.

Suggestion if your strip's cord is a bit longer, wrap it around the strip itself, rather than leaving it loose -- that way it may look more like a curling iron than an extension cord.

Have taken power strips a couple of time. Embarking in Sydney (AU) they were stopping passengers approaching the terminal asking if we had certain items in our luggage, including power strips, that we put them in our carry on bags. We retrieved it and moved it to our carry on and boarded with it, no issues. Not sure why it is okay in our carry on but not our luggage.

Our party had two identical staterooms. We had a total of two identical power strips in our luggage. One for each stateroom. One of them got confiscated and one did not.

This was our confiscation process: We went to our staterooms on the first day to retrieve our luggage from the hallway and put them in our room in the normal fashion. We found one of our suitcases missing. We came back about an hour later and found the suitcase was still missing. Thinking that our suitcase was stolen, we went to Guest Services. The agent looked up our suitcase on the computer and said that we needed to go to Security to claim it. We went to Security on deck 2, where there was a small line of people claiming their suitcases. The security guard said that our power strip and a small pair of sizzors had been confiscated, and that we'd get it back at the end of our cruise. He gave us a claim check and our suitcase. I asked him why the identical power strip was not confiscated from our other suitcase (different stateroom.). He said "It probably wasn't noticed on the X-ray machine." So that is why sometimes power strips are confiscated and some are not. I asked him why the sizzors were confiscated, when there are steak knives all over the ship. He didn't have an answer but we both had a laugh. My suggestion for the power strip: Don't bring one. Bring a short extension cord with a tri-tap on the end. Or attach a tri-tap to it.

At the end of the cruise, after you are off the ship and OUT of the terminal, you claim your confiscated items. Ask any security guard outside where to claim them and they will point to an area 100 yards to the north and then inside another door.