5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

I wrote in my thread called "Thanks, cruise ship balcony, a commentary", which you can find also in this thread called "cabin selection tips" around page 3 or 4 now ( it has 45,000+ hits, most ever for a balcony post on CC) , that balcony cabins have a higher satisfaction rate than chocolate at 95% ( chocolate is 93%), and that the late Robert Palmer said it perfectly in his song, "Addicted To Love" from 1986, except I say "Addicted To Balconies" instead, lol.. nice post & comments!!

Big Al

Read it Al.

(Un) fortunately first cruise we got a balcony, hooked there and then.

Mini-suite is no good to me, can't climb in and out of a bath.

Read it Al.

(Un) fortunately first cruise we got a balcony, hooked there and then.

Mini-suite is no good to me, can't climb in and out of a bath.

You are lucky to have never cruised in an inside cabin..in 1996, my wife & I took our 2nd cruise on RCI's Majesty Of The Seas..a friend had a wife who worked for RCI, and they got us a great deal for a cabin for $325 pp for the one week Western Caribb cruise..when we walked into the 119 SF cabin, I kept looking around & my wife said, "what are you looking for?"..I said, the rest of the cabin!!"...Geez, it was tight! I knocked my 104lb wife over 7-8x at least in the cabin ( I'm 220+, hence my name) because it was so tight inthere..we realized that we coudn't get ready for dinner with both us in the main cabin, so one of us had to shower, while the other one waited, then when one got out, the other would go in while person # 1 got dressed...ridiculous! Today, some of the insides can be 150-175 SF, which is not too bad..but I'll take a nice balcony /Jr. Suite anyday..we work too hard to spend our cruise vacation in a broom closet....

Big Al

A couple of years ago I sailed in an inside cabin but it was just me. Some friends from the other side of the country were taking a cruise and I decided to join them -- hadn't seen them for a while -- and go cheap since I was paying double.

Worked out fine with just me in the cabin. But I couldn't imagine doing it with my husband. As Big Al said, we'd be bumping into each other all the time. And on top of that, this cabin had fold down bunks for two additional people! Definitely for cruisers who spend no time in their cabin. LOL

Balcony would be my preference, but I'm still deciding if it is worth the $1000 ($500 per person) price difference for the sailing we want.

Western Med on the Epic in April. First time cruiser.

I'm watching for sales and specials, but I'm getting anxious to book it.

Edited by cc_rider

On my first cruise, I booked an OV. On my second cruise, I insisted on a balcony. I loved it.... Loved, loved, loved it! But (and hopefully no one jumps me for saying this) I really and truly was never in the room long enough to justify booking it again. My best friend, however, that's where she stayed. She is hooked to balconies after that experience. On our third cruise, my best friend said we should try interior just to see. It is seriously the best sleep I've ever had! I have really bad insomnia. I still can't sleep in past 5 or 6 a.m. but I sleep sooooo good. So I've chosen interiors ever since.

I'll probably book a balcony on the cruises where my best friend is my cabin mate. Otherwise, it is interiors for me bc of the quality of sleep. :D Balconies are seriously great though! I agree with what everyone said. But I'm an on the go kind of person and my best friend is the type who knows how to really kick back and relax. Hehe I see both sides of the coin on this one. :)

Big Al, I'm new to cruising! Did one just a year ago and chose balcony for all your same reasons! We loved it! We cruised ncl getaway! We have a cruise scheduled now for the escape leaving end of January 2016! What is a hump room? Not sure how to choose the right cabin! We lucked out getting a spa balcony right in the middle of last ship! Though the aft seemed appealing yet farther from the spa!

Big Al, I'm new to cruising! Did one just a year ago and chose balcony for all your same reasons! We loved it! We cruised ncl getaway! We have a cruise scheduled now for the escape leaving end of January 2016! What is a hump room? Not sure how to choose the right cabin! We lucked out getting a spa balcony right in the middle of last ship! Though the aft seemed appealing yet farther from the spa!

Great news!! A HUMP cabin is one of those on the "hump" or "bump"..they stick out a bit & therefore give you unobstructed views of aft & forward..they are great! If you can get one on the hump, GET IT!! Any questions, let me know..I will be hopefully doing a tour of the Escape in December..will report back when I do!!

Big Al

We used to book OV before there were balconies. Now we book balconies. However, this past weekend we were on an overnight and we booked the inside cabin ($29 pp). Now it was OK for one night, but I don't think I could do it for more than one night. We were only in our cabin for maybe a total of 30 minutes while not sleeping, but something was missing.

For those that enjoy inside...Please enjoy your cabin. For those that choose balonies...I will be joining you.

Balcony would be my preference, but I'm still deciding if it is worth the $1000 ($500 per person) price difference for the sailing we want.

Western Med on the Epic in April. First time cruiser.

I'm watching for sales and specials, but I'm getting anxious to book it.

I took balcony on my first cruise and since then my wife and me decided to go interior on all next 10 cruises.

We were 23 years old at that first cruise, now we are 30. We stay in the cabin just for sleep, shower and "dating" - and for that the interior cabin is perfect!!

We love to go out for the boat late night parties and events, then be "naturally" wakes up in the morning would not be a pleasure. And during the afternoons onboard we usually look out for sports activities.

So you must match your cabin with your cruise style… and your habits!!

And after all, be aware that you are going to have the same food, same entertainment, same ports of call as if you are in a balcony stateroom.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

• Like 1

I took balcony on my first cruise and since then my wife and me decided to go interior on all next 10 cruises.

We were 23 years old at that first cruise, now we are 30. We stay in the cabin just for sleep, shower and "dating" - and for that the interior cabin is perfect!!

We love to go out for the boat late night parties and events, then be "naturally" wakes up in the morning would not be a pleasure. And during the afternoons onboard we usually look out for sports activities.

So you must match your cabin with your cruise style… and your habits!!

And after all, be aware that you are going to have the same food, same entertainment, same ports of call as if you are in a balcony stateroom.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

YOU stay in your cabin just for sleep ,shower, etc..many others see their cabin as a haven or retreat from the rest of the ship..in an inside cabin, you cannot smell the sea, see the waves, see the sunsets or sunrise, have a drink or breakfast, or just chill while watching a rainbow after a magnificent shower at sea, all ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE LITTLE PIECE OF PRIVACY...plus, I know soooo many people who when they walked into their balcony cabin & saw the sunshine coming into their cabin, opened the balcony doors and said, "wow- fantastic!!!"" On the other hand, NO ONE I know ever told me they opened their dark & sullen inside cabin and said, "wow, this is fantastic! Very cool...". YOU DON'T FEEL A CONNECTION in an inside cabin to the sea, because you're not part of the sea experience like you do when you're sitting on a balcony..sorry, you just don't...and not everyone wants to get dressed and go amongst thousands of people on decks to see what you should & can be able to see from your cabin- the magic of the sea! Inside cabins are fine- but exciting & thrilling? Are you kidding???

Hi Big Al! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Question...when you've had a hump cabin have you been able to secure a lounge chair if not JS or above? We are going on Allure and I've read some yay's and nay's both ways so just wondered what your experience in this regard was like. Won't change my enjoyment of my hump cabin (its a balcony so will be great no matter what) if not feasible. Thanks. :)

Hi Big Al! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Question...when you've had a hump cabin have you been able to secure a lounge chair if not JS or above? We are going on Allure and I've read some yay's and nay's both ways so just wondered what your experience in this regard was like. Won't change my enjoyment of my hump cabin (its a balcony so will be great no matter what) if not feasible. Thanks. :)

Unfortunately, what you read seems true...some have been able to get their cabin steward to bring a lounge chair to their cabin, and some stewards will say they will get in trouble if they do...good thing is , if you have a JS or above, you will have a lounger on your balcony, no need to get one..FYI- just before you sail, call RCI & see if there still are JS's available & see if you can get either a free upgrade ( rare) OR pay a little extra $$ for one- I have done that & it worked out great..sometimes for as little as $80 PP for the WHOLE cruise, you can get one, but FIRST, call RCI & see what's available & how much...when are you sailing?

Big Al

Unfortunately, what you read seems true...some have been able to get their cabin steward to bring a lounge chair to their cabin, and some stewards will say they will get in trouble if they do...good thing is , if you have a JS or above, you will have a lounger on your balcony, no need to get one..FYI- just before you sail, call RCI & see if there still are JS's available & see if you can get either a free upgrade ( rare) OR pay a little extra $$ for one- I have done that & it worked out great..sometimes for as little as $80 PP for the WHOLE cruise, you can get one, but FIRST, call RCI & see what's available & how much...when are you sailing?

Big Al

Thank you for the follow-up. We're leaving January 3rd. The final payment date will be here in about 2 weeks. Should I check on JS upgrade for cost then or wait closer to sail date?

Thank you for the follow-up. We're leaving January 3rd. The final payment date will be here in about 2 weeks. Should I check on JS upgrade for cost then or wait closer to sail date?

Wait till a few weeks out, but find out NOW how many JS 's are left..if there are only a few, or 4-5, you probably will be out of luck..BUT, if they say there are "plenty" or "many" left ( like 10-15 or more), you have a shot..you also may want to ask how much for the upgrade now..try & get a hump JS on decks 7,8,9 & 10..they have the biggest balconies other than aft ones...good luck & keep me informed...

Big Al

Hi Big Al.

Okay...so I called RCCL to inquire as to the cost of upgrading to a JS (they have about 10 left unsold and only 2 on the hump - floors 6 and 8). I was quoted a $3,500 cost to upgrade. A bit too much for our budget. Any other suggestions?:)

Wow- $3500!!! INSANE...wait until your final payment day & inquire then, if still too $$, try 1-2 weeks before sailing and see 1) if any JS's are left ( you can do this W/O calling RCI, just go on their website & make pretend you are looking for a JS now..) and 2) what is the price now XX days before sailing..BTW,I don't like the cabins on deck 6 because they are RIGHT above the Royal Promenade, and as a light sleeper, I can hear the noise & music from the parades & 70's Retro night there, so if you/SO are also a light sleeper, avoid deck 6 cabins..hope this helps a bit..

Big Al

Wow- $3500!!! INSANE...wait until your final payment day & inquire then, if still too $$, try 1-2 weeks before sailing and see 1) if any JS's are left ( you can do this W/O calling RCI, just go on their website & make pretend you are looking for a JS now..) and 2) what is the price now XX days before sailing..BTW,I don't like the cabins on deck 6 because they are RIGHT above the Royal Promenade, and as a light sleeper, I can hear the noise & music from the parades & 70's Retro night there, so if you/SO are also a light sleeper, avoid deck 6 cabins..hope this helps a bit..

Big Al

Yes - insanity at a whole new level. LOL

I only found one JS hump cabin that I like which is on Deck 8 right behind 150(thanks for the heads up about Deck 6). The remaining JS come with connecting rooms which I'm not interested in. Also tried the mock booking and found that they have approximately 13 JS left total. Hopefully I will get lucky and the prices will come down after final payment which is October 20th. If not, I will still be thrilled with my Deck 7 Hump:D There is no such thing as a bad balcony!

Thank you again for all your great advice.

Yes - insanity at a whole new level. LOL

I only found one JS hump cabin that I like which is on Deck 8 right behind 150(thanks for the heads up about Deck 6). The remaining JS come with connecting rooms which I'm not interested in. Also tried the mock booking and found that they have approximately 13 JS left total. Hopefully I will get lucky and the prices will come down after final payment which is October 20th. If not, I will still be thrilled with my Deck 7 Hump:D There is no such thing as a bad balcony!

Thank you again for all your great advice.

You are welcome & keep me posted on here after 10/20...good luck!

What is the hump cabin?

On some ships there is kind of a "bump" or "hump" that sticks out a bit- more than the others, and therefore the views from there are better..you have unobstructed views to your left & right ...they also sometimes are slightly bigger in balcony size..you can find these "hump" cabins on certain ships by RCI, Carnival, NCL, MSC & Celebrity..Disney & HAL tend have no or very few hump cabins...the 2 new Princess ships, Royal & Regal, have a few hump cabins on each deck...hope this helps...

Big Al

This upcoming cruise to the Baltic next summer is only our second cruise. We were in a cabin with an unobstructed ocean view with Holland-America, and while the view was adequate, we spent most of our time in different parts of the ship (Maasdam) where we had great views. Our cabin was just above the waterline, and our view was ok, but our deck (5) was the lowest they had for passengers (below were crew quarters), and I think that a higher deck with a bigger view would be nice. So, I took Big Al's advice and booked a balcony cabin on deck 8 of the Marina-Oceania Lines.--(Of course for the added price I had to put off my appendix transplant operation...)

Any cabin advice would be most welcomed and if anyone has traveled to the Baltic (Copenhagen->St. Petersburg) or sailed on the Marina, I'd like to hear.

Edited by williebegoode

This upcoming cruise to the Baltic next summer is only our second cruise. We were in a cabin with an unobstructed ocean view with Holland-America, and while the view was adequate, we spent most of our time in different parts of the ship (Maasdam) where we had great views. Our cabin was just above the waterline, and our view was ok, but our deck (5) was the lowest they had for passengers (below were crew quarters), and I think that a higher deck with a bigger view would be nice. So, I took Big Al's advice and booked a balcony cabin on deck 8 of the Marina-Oceania Lines.--(Of course for the added price I had to put off my appendix transplant operation...)

Any cabin advice would be most welcomed and if anyone has traveled to the Baltic (Copenhagen->St. Petersburg) or sailed on the Marina, I'd like to hear.

Cabins on deck 8 are 242 SF ( very nice & spacious!), balcony is 40 SF ( a tad small, but OK..)..lovely ship with amazing food & service..good choice!!

Big Al