5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

Thanks again Big Al,

The room sounds roomy, but I did not know the size of the balcony (40 sqft). Where is that information found? Is it part of the cabin description?

I use cruisedeckplans.com to get info on ships I don't know..many I already know the dimensions since I'm a cruise agent....just choose the cruise line, ship, then the cabin categories are on the left..choose the deck & see your cabin..great site!

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Big Al! I see you're getting ready for your next adventure on AOS! Yay for you.

As for me...I have a balcony question and you are my go to guy for the answer.

What is you advice if I was thinking about moving from my center hump cabin (7600) to the forward angled hump cabin (7592) which is still available after final payment due date?

Still can't afford to snag a JS yet but I'm still keeping an eye out. Thanks. :)

Hey Big Al! I see you're getting ready for your next adventure on AOS! Yay for you.

As for me...I have a balcony question and you are my go to guy for the answer.

What is you advice if I was thinking about moving from my center hump cabin (7600) to the forward angled hump cabin (7592) which is still available after final payment due date?

Still can't afford to snag a JS yet but I'm still keeping an eye out. Thanks. :)

Yes, I am getting excited now..only 4 weeks from this Saturday...Personally, I still like your 7600 cabin a bit more...sticks out a bit more so you will have TOTALLY unobstructed views to the aft & forward, whereas 7592 will be fine looking forward, but will have cabins 7594, 96, 98 & 600 kinda blocking the view just a bit...any reason you might wanna change? Also don't forget to ask how much for a JS just in case it has gone down...

Big Al

Yes, I am getting excited now..only 4 weeks from this Saturday...Personally, I still like your 7600 cabin a bit more...sticks out a bit more so you will have TOTALLY unobstructed views to the aft & forward, whereas 7592 will be fine looking forward, but will have cabins 7594, 96, 98 & 600 kinda blocking the view just a bit...any reason you might wanna change? Also don't forget to ask how much for a JS just in case it has gone down...

Big Al

Thanks for the input! I was reading somewhere on here the other night about how the best balconies were the forward or aft hump cabins which got me to thinking aka I'm just doing too much! LOL

The JS have come down (according to the website) but they aren't down enough for my tastes. I do see where they have a JS hump on deck 11 that looks interesting but, again, not worth the extra cost at this point especially since I initially did book the cabin, deck and category I wanted. So appreciate the advice. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Got balcony? Hahaha:D

Thanks for the input! I was reading somewhere on here the other night about how the best balconies were the forward or aft hump cabins which got me to thinking aka I'm just doing too much! LOL

The JS have come down (according to the website) but they aren't down enough for my tastes. I do see where they have a JS hump on deck 11 that looks interesting but, again, not worth the extra cost at this point especially since I initially did book the cabin, deck and category I wanted. So appreciate the advice. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Got balcony? Hahaha:D

Just for the record, we had an aft ( all the way aft) balcony on the Adventure Of The Seas and Navigator Of The Seas, and those balconies are around 110-120 SF..very deep..there is a little metal that hangs down a bit & some don't like that , but views are amazing..There are TWO lounge chairs back there, right up your alley!

You should always TRY at least once an aft balcony...and lol about the balcony on my upcoming AOS!! I will write my report when I get back, so look for it!

Big Al

Just for the record, we had an aft ( all the way aft) balcony on the Adventure Of The Seas and Navigator Of The Seas, and those balconies are around 110-120 SF..very deep..there is a little metal that hangs down a bit & some don't like that , but views are amazing..There are TWO lounge chairs back there, right up your alley!

You should always TRY at least once an aft balcony...and lol about the balcony on my upcoming AOS!! I will write my report when I get back, so look for it!

Big Al

Oh I'm going to be looking for that review mister so don't let us down! Thanks for all the great help. I need to become a cruise agent because it has been nothing less than a blast planning this vacation although I have planned all of those in the past (except the very first one) and at one point did work for a travel agency.

What is the trick to securing an aft balcony because they seem harder to acquire than a hump cabin. The aft die-hards do not mess around when it comes to booking those cabins so what's the secret?

Oh I'm going to be looking for that review mister so don't let us down! Thanks for all the great help. I need to become a cruise agent because it has been nothing less than a blast planning this vacation although I have planned all of those in the past (except the very first one) and at one point did work for a travel agency.

What is the trick to securing an aft balcony because they seem harder to acquire than a hump cabin. The aft die-hards do not mess around when it comes to booking those cabins so what's the secret?

You are correct about the aft balconies going first..trick is to book as far ahead as you can..18 months out sometimes..just put the deposit on it...I am planning a 2017 cruise already and will put a deposit down ASAP to get best cabins...CORNER afts also go fast...they are really cool because you are on the corner with sometimes a wrap- around balcony...wow!!!

Alan

On my first cruise in 2006, my husband booked us a balcony suite for our honeymoon.

O! M! G!

Amazing room...spoiled for life.

We took another cruise shortly after to join a friend who was getting married on-ship and booked an OV to save a little money. My hubby walks into the room to see me literally sitting in the window well with my forehead pressed to the glass.

He said, "What are you doing?"

I replied, "I'm PRETENDING I have a balcony!"

Since then, we've only booked balconies! I am an introvert and sometimes the craziness on the Lido deck wears me out. I need to have my private space to enjoy the sea!

Next adventure is a Cove Balcony on the Carnival Breeze in June 2016...so excited!

On my first cruise in 2006, my husband booked us a balcony suite for our honeymoon.

O! M! G!

Amazing room...spoiled for life.

We took another cruise shortly after to join a friend who was getting married on-ship and booked an OV to save a little money. My hubby walks into the room to see me literally sitting in the window well with my forehead pressed to the glass.

He said, "What are you doing?"

I replied, "I'm PRETENDING I have a balcony!"

Since then, we've only booked balconies! I am an introvert and sometimes the craziness on the Lido deck wears me out. I need to have my private space to enjoy the sea!

Next adventure is a Cove Balcony on the Carnival Breeze in June 2016...so excited!

Another reason I tell people- a balcony does give that private space outside you don't get in an inside or OV ( window) cabin..cove balconies are very close to the water, but they are tight..just a fair warning..thanks for your post & thoughts, and you should like the Breeze ( other than no Caribbean music at the pool which is a must for me on a cruise..)

Big Al

Another great reason to book a balcony: THE CONNECTION!

A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the sea and makes you feel like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the ocean passing your stateroom? Having a balcony completely changes the type of cruise you will have. Water is very therapeutic, and sitting out in the open air and reflecting is a great way to start or wind down the day. I am almost in a trance while out there, especially on those gorgeous days at sea on the Caribbean or Mediterranean. It is mesmorizing, isn’t it? Sure, the mountains, hiking, nature walks, even the Grand Canyon are great, but to me, nothing comes close to sitting on a lounge chair on my balcony and watching the waves & white caps, and seeing the birds swoop down and get a fish, or seeing dolphins swim along side the ship right below you, while the cool sea breezes caress your face & body with that soothing salt air….Wow, what a rush!! I am out there NO less than 5-6 times a day, even if for only a minute, to be part of the sea experience. Please share your thoughts & experiences on your balcony cabins...I am one of the few who have cruised in all four categories: inside, outside window, balcony & suite...I NEVER felt any connection to the sea & nature in an inside cabin, nor a window for that matter...

Big Al

This is a great thread. We book a balcony stateroom on every cruise and wouldn't sail without one.

Cruising is a wonderful way to see the world, and seeing it from your balcony on a cruise ship is the icing on the cake!

Edited by JimAOk1945

This is a great thread. We book a balcony stateroom on every cruise and wouldn't sail without one.

Cruising is a wonderful way to see the world, and seeing it from your balcony on a cruise ship is the icing on the cake!

Thank you for the kind words...you wouldn't believe how many ICB's (inside cabin bullies) here on CC ,bashed me on my other much more famous thread called "Thanks, Cruise ship balcony, a commentary", which you can find on page 3 or 4 on this cabin selection tips section...a bit more comprehensive...all I want to say is after cruising in every category, I believe a balcony is the best option, and for many like yourselves, it's the only option...If I can't afford a balcony, we simply don't cruise...if I can get a Junior or Mini suite at a great price, I book that, but 80% of the time, it's standard balcony..NOTHING compares to sitting out on a beautiful day on your own private space of heaven, feeling the wind, salt air, and sun caress your face, while seeing & listening to the waves, birds, and more..I also love seeing other cruise ships & using my binocs to see what ship & cruise line it is..not to mention how cool it is when we get into a port seeing mores ships & all the wonders of the port...you cannot see this in a broom closet ( that's what I referred to an inside cabin in my other thread,lol)..others say, "well, you can just go up to another deck & see all that" ..not the same as seeing it from the comfort of your balcony..AND you are NOT with hundreds of others who, most likely, also don't have a balcony...being out there is MAGICAL to me- an inside cabin is NEVER magical, is it? Thanks for your great post!

Big Al

I have learned many things on this thread from all you guys. I am planning a surprise 49th wedding present for my wife. I was almost ready to back off the balcony because of the price difference but I now will go with the balcony. Going to Alaska and yes this will a our first cruise ever.. lol ought to be a blast.

thanks again

I have learned many things on this thread from all you guys. I am planning a surprise 49th wedding present for my wife. I was almost ready to back off the balcony because of the price difference but I now will go with the balcony. Going to Alaska and yes this will a our first cruise ever.. lol ought to be a blast.

thanks again

Congratulations on your 49th wedding anniversary!! What a great present! I got my wife a mini-suite on Princess for our 5th many moons ago...it was also our 1st balcony after 5 cruises of insides & windows..what a difference!! We, too, are going to Alaska May 21, '16 on the Crown Princess...when & what ship are you doing? Balconies are so much more romantic than insides or windows..your wife will love it...

Big Al

looking at ruby princess, carnival legend and jewel...early june..

FYI- Princess is known best for their Alaskan cruises..Carnival is not...which Jewel, RCI or NCL? Princess also more your age group, Carnival more 20's-40's, RCI & NCL, 30-60's...both Jewel ships are nice, NCL more dining options...

Big Al

thanks for that info...I think that the ruby princess does fit my schedule as well.. looking at room aft deck 14..dont see anything that looks like what I read in your article about the hump..just want to make sure I don't get one that is obstructed

Ruby afts are pretty clear of obstruction...so are the Jewel's...both cruise lines...never any humps on aft cabins, only side views...

First time I booked a cruise with balcony, I was told by many of my friends and coworkers I was wasting money and that it was not necessary because you are never in your cabin. Well, I never told them but I slept on my balcony a couple of nights, loved it. Had coffee every morning and yes you do spend time in your cabin when you have a balcony. Cannot imagine not having one!

First time I booked a cruise with balcony, I was told by many of my friends and coworkers I was wasting money and that it was not necessary because you are never in your cabin. Well, I never told them but I slept on my balcony a couple of nights, loved it. Had coffee every morning and yes you do spend time in your cabin when you have a balcony. Cannot imagine not having one!

I won't say here what I call those people who say things like, "you're never in your cabin"..safe to say, I often respond with, "yes, if I don't have a balcony, there's no reason to be in your cabin"..BUT, if you DO have a balcony, like you said, you ABSOLUTELY spend more time enjoying your cabin and balcony- there's nothing to enjoy without a balcony, is there? Wasn't it nice enjoying coffee or breakfast on a beautiful morning on your own private space of paradise? BTW, I have NEVER heard anyone say their inside cabin or window cabin, was paradise,lol!! Thanks for the nice comments!!!

Big Al

I won't say here what I call those people who say things like, "you're never in your cabin"..safe to say, I often respond with, "yes, if I don't have a balcony, there's no reason to be in your cabin"..BUT, if you DO have a balcony, like you said, you ABSOLUTELY spend more time enjoying your cabin and balcony- there's nothing to enjoy without a balcony, is there? Wasn't it nice enjoying coffee or breakfast on a beautiful morning on your own private space of paradise? BTW, I have NEVER heard anyone say their inside cabin or window cabin, was paradise,lol!! Thanks for the nice comments!!!

Big Al

Two thumbs UP. Could not have said it better myself. :)

After hearing all this hype on balconies I think I want to try one for my next booking! I want open air!!

It's a completely different experience from inside or window cabins- In those, there is NO wind, sun, salt air, weather, islands, ships passing by, MOONLIGHT, sunsets..so much more that makes a balcony a CONNECTION to the sea & cruise...do it- you will never go back!!

Big Al