Good advice from seasoned travellers for spending a few hours in NYC / NJ

PhilHamburg

Dear all,

I could use some good advice from you seasoned travellers for spending a few hours in NYC / NJ...:

We are on the Anthems of the Seas from Southampton / UK to Cape Liberty / NJ and will disembark on Nov. 4th.

Now that RCL has given us the flights back to Europe on disembarkation day we have some hours in Bayonne / NYC / Newark / elsewhere so spend. I guess we'll be off the ship at around 9 am and have a flight out of EWR at 6:15 pm. Since we don´t want to sit on our luggage for 9 hours (and then "enjoying" our lengthly flight back home to Germany) we figure out what we could do:

a) ask RCL to let us stay longer onboard => makes not too much sense for us after experiencing the ship for a week, but better as to sit at the airport gate

b) take the transfer to EWR and than (because of no possibility to store the luggage at EWR, neither at the airport itself nor at Lufthansa) take the train to NYC and store the luggage at Schwartz.

c) take the transfer to EWR, book a rental car there and explore the area (with luggage placed hidden in the trunk) => I would like to do so but I think it´s quite an efford doing that for roughly 5 hours net.

d) book a shore ex via RCL to see the sights in NYC by bus => they keep the luggage and drive us to EWR afterwards, but not too keen on doing that because we know the city quite well and don´t need someone telling us "this is Times Quare, this is Empire State, Freedom Tower over there..."

e) transfer to EWR and just meditate on the long flight and the narrow seat to come.. => probably the safest and cheapest but also the most boring idea

I´m keen on your suggestions... What a pity to have the flight back at the same day - would love to stay longer again ...

Greetings,

Phil

Dear all,

I could use some good advice from you seasoned travellers for spending a few hours in NYC / NJ...:

We are on the Anthems of the Seas from Southampton / UK to Cape Liberty / NJ and will disembark on Nov. 4th.

Now that RCL has given us the flights back to Europe on disembarkation day we have some hours in Bayonne / NYC / Newark / elsewhere so spend. I guess we'll be off the ship at around 9 am and have a flight out of EWR at 6:15 pm. Since we don´t want to sit on our luggage for 9 hours (and then "enjoying" our lengthly flight back home to Germany) we figure out what we could do:

a) ask RCL to let us stay longer onboard => makes not too much sense for us after experiencing the ship for a week, but better as to sit at the airport gate

b) take the transfer to EWR and than (because of no possibility to store the luggage at EWR, neither at the airport itself nor at Lufthansa) take the train to NYC and store the luggage at Schwartz.

c) take the transfer to EWR, book a rental car there and explore the area (with luggage placed hidden in the trunk) => I would like to do so but I think it´s quite an efford doing that for roughly 5 hours net.

d) book a shore ex via RCL to see the sights in NYC by bus => they keep the luggage and drive us to EWR afterwards, but not too keen on doing that because we know the city quite well and don´t need someone telling us "this is Times Quare, this is Empire State, Freedom Tower over there..."

e) transfer to EWR and just meditate on the long flight and the narrow seat to come.. => probably the safest and cheapest but also the most boring idea

I´m keen on your suggestions... What a pity to have the flight back at the same day - would love to stay longer again ...

Greetings,

Phil

I think you've covered the possible options very well. The airport Marriott may offer day rooms for $99, but they can't be booked way ahead, but that could be an option.

If you're serious about going into NYC, spend the money and take a car service directly to Schwartz Travel in the west 30's. Don't mess with transfers to the airport and train to NYC - it will cost you $30/pp to go to the airport and $12.50/pp each way for the train. Spend a couple of hours in NYC, be back at Schwartz by 3 pm, walk the few blocks to Port Authority Bus Terminal with your luggage, and take the airport bus directly to Newark Airport for $16/pp. The bus leaves from outside on the street level and will drop you off at your terminal at the airport. This strategy will maximize your time in NYC and minimize the hassle with your luggage.

Phil,

I would recommend baggage storing at EWR as I do always at MIA.

http://www.nyctourist.com/travel_newark.htm

After that you could tranfer to Manhattan.

Pete

Gruß aus Hamburg using tapatalk

That's something new. I'm going to have to call them to see where they are and what they offer. Luggage storage has been a problem at EWR for a long time.

Oops - not new. Limited to Continental.

If you’re looking to leave the airport on your layover and want to ditch your bags, NBS Storage and Delivery is located in the Arrivals Level of the Continental terminal for Continental passengers only. They offer short-term luggage storage and operate 24 hours a day. For more information, call (908) 933-0503.

Edited by 138east

And since Continental doesn't exist anymore, this might just turn out to be a surreal experience! :)

It turned out to be surreal! The phone number is disconnected.

Another possibility is to see if you can buy a VIP lounge access from Lufthansa for the day.

If your flight is 6:15 pm then it is recommended that you arrive for international flights at EWR 3 hours in advance. That would make it 3:15 pm. I would leave Manhattan at 2:30 to get to EWR.

It's up to you if you think it's worth the effort to get to Manhattan, store your luggage, and then go back to EWR.

Maybe United picked up the Continental luggage storage thing. United sold off all their slots at JFK and are only at EWR now.

UA is still flying some routes to JFK from the west coast (LAX,SFO).

Effective October 25 United flights to/from SFO and LAX will arrive/depart at EWR.

UA sold their JFK slots to Delta and bought some EWR slots from Delta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/business/united-to-leave-jfk-and-shift-west-coast-flights-to-newark.html?_r=0

Effective October 25 United flights to/from SFO and LAX will arrive/depart at EWR.

UA sold their JFK slots to Delta and bought some EWR slots from Delta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/business/united-to-leave-jfk-and-shift-west-coast-flights-to-newark.html?_r=0

Yes, thanks for confirming. Basically United now is Continental with the United name, but the Continental way of customer service. . .take it for what its worth. . . ;)