Big expansion plans for Port of Miami

LMaxwell

That is interesting but it make me a bit nervous. Port Everglades is so much more convenient, from a time and expense perspective, for transfers between FLL and the port.

New Megaships coming from NCL, Carnival, and some really revolutionary designs from MSC and Aida (which calls at Miami sometimes). I don't think RCI wanted to have older offerings on display in front of their corp headquarters.

That and the port has some financial trouble so may be willing to make a lucrative deal with RCI.

New Megaships coming from NCL, Carnival, and some really revolutionary designs from MSC and Aida (which calls at Miami sometimes). I don't think RCI wanted to have older offerings on display in front of their corp headquarters.

That and the port has some financial trouble so may be willing to make a lucrative deal with RCI.

+ Virgin.

I think that's good news. It was a bustling port some time ago and now it's rather empty most of the time. I drive past the POM every day on my work commute and the lack of ships out there for most of the week makes me a bit sad. I do love the port and will be glad to see it revitalized.

About a year ago the Miami-Dade commissioners rejected David Beckham's suggestion that he may build a soccer stadium at the port. RCI was involved in the local politics, outmaneuvering Beckham. The writing was on the wall that RCI wanted to do something big at the port.

About a year ago the Miami-Dade commissioners rejected David Beckham's suggestion that he may build a soccer stadium at the port. RCI was involved in the local politics, outmaneuvering Beckham. The writing was on the wall that RCI wanted to do something big at the port.

Where he wanted to build the stadium was on their corporate HQ site not where the terminal is going to be.

As long as Southwest Airlines flies only into Fort Lauderdale and not into Miami, I and a lot of other people will not be happy about sailing out of Miami.

I have sailed out of Miami quite a few times, and it is very inconvenient and much more expensive.

According to the Miami Herald, RCCL is planning a new terminal (terminal) in the Port of Miami. Still has to be approved, but it probably will. To be completed in 2018. It will be large enough to handle the Oasis Class of ships, and will cost RCCL $100,000,000. They will design, and build the new terminal.No word on how many ships will be there, but the deal is for a minimum of 20 years to a max of 60 years. It will double RCCL's capacity in Miami to 1.5 million annually.

Edited by deliver42
In parenthisis should be terminalA

The target date for completion is in time for Oasis IV and Quantum IV on July 31, 2018.

The terminal includes an initial 20 year lease and a 1000 space parking facility.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12999-royal-caribbean-plans-miami-terminal.html

I am especially hoping for a Quantum IV base and think it would appeal to a certain domestic segment, but even more to the global cruise market.

A new RCI terminal would service all the RCI brands. Celebrity, TUI, Azamara and Pullmantur could all offer sailings from the new Miami terminal.

Miami services the global market better and Miami has been getting many new flights announced in the past year and many more are to start up soon.

Austrian returns from Vienna

Air Berlin resumes with flights from Berlin

Lufthansa will continue with A380 from Frankfurt and seasonal Munich service.

Qatar is up and running from Doha.

Scandinavian has added a Copenhagen flight.

Turkish is adding Istanbul connections.

Add these to all the existing American, Iberia, Central and South American airlines among others and this is a great feeder market.

I'm glad Beckham was interested in the space, it was a wake up call for RCI. For me it makes no sense to have the RCI's headquarter right there in the port but only having the majesty sailing year around. Liberty was gone years ago and ever since everyone is interested in POM but royal.

That is interesting but it make me a bit nervous. Port Everglades is so much more convenient, from a time and expense perspective, for transfers between FLL and the port.

For me, FLL is more convenient -- the drive to the port is simply shorter from home. Putting that aside, with all the international flights that come into POM it really makes sense to have one of the megaships in Miami. If it takes a commitment from Royal to build the terminal....and it costs a minimal amount of money from Miami taxpayers, then it is good and I would expect the commissioners to approve it.

We will drive to whatever port in S. Florida has the ship we want to cruise on. For those that fly into Fort Lauderdale, a cab to POM might be cheaper than a flight directly into Miami.

The target date for completion is in time for Oasis IV and Quantum IV on July 31, 2018.

The terminal includes an initial 20 year lease and a 1000 space parking facility.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12999-royal-caribbean-plans-miami-terminal.html

I am especially hoping for a Quantum IV base and think it would appeal to a certain domestic segment, but even more to the global cruise market.

A new RCI terminal would service all the RCI brands. Celebrity, TUI, Azamara and Pullmantur could all offer sailings from the new Miami terminal.

Miami services the global market better and Miami has been getting many new flights announced in the past year and many more are to start up soon.

Austrian returns from Vienna

Air Berlin resumes with flights from Berlin

Lufthansa will continue with A380 from Frankfurt and seasonal Munich service.

Qatar is up and running from Doha.

Scandinavian has added a Copenhagen flight.

Turkish is adding Istanbul connections.

Add these to all the existing American, Iberia, Central and South American airlines among others and this is a great feeder market.

Orlando has an incredible number and variety of direct international flights, purely because of the presence of Disney.

Feh on Miami. :D :D :D :D

This is good news IMO. I have to fly anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me... (but I do like a pre-cruise stay in FLL better.)

Anyway... I would say that either Oasis IV or Quantum IV will be heading to Miami. With that large of an investment, I personally think that they would have, uhm, maybe 3 RCI ships sailing from there. A weekend ship, a 7 night ship, and maybe a 5/9 night ship (like Nav in 16/17). Maybe both new Oasis and Quantum ship could go there? I can hope... :p

MIA is already a huge international gateway and RCI has made it clear they want to expand their international clientele. FLL will just never be a big international gateway.

But once Uber is back and running in Broward County (next week we hope!), it's half the cost of a cab to Miami from FLL.

Sailing Majesty as many times as I have, I actually have no issue with POM. I find it easier and more efficient than Port Everglades. And the opening of the Port of Miami tunnel is a major plus.

More details about the RCI deal with POM are detailed in a Seatrade article.

The contract is for 20 years with a record 60 year extension option.

The berth will be 400m and will easily handle Oasis Class and allows for future larger mega-ships.

RCI plans to have 1,8 million passengers out of Miami from 2019 compared to the current 730,000 a year from Miami.

As this will be Terminal A, it appears this consideration has been in feasibility plans for the port for many years as it was detailed in the 35 year master plan for the POM.

A second Terminal, T-AA will be under option and will be the pier farthest out to the east, with the RCI Terminal A being the second terminal.

Terminal G is under continued RCI contract to guarantee a minimum of 325,000 a year until 2021.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-deal-unprecedented-portmiami-chief.html

I can't imagine RCI would invest $100 million & build a 400 meter ( 1,312 ft) dock if they were NOT planning to bring either a new Oasis class in 2018, a new Quantum class ( 2018 or 2019) , move a Freedom ship ( 1,112 ft) or Voyager ship ( 1,020 ft)..there's also the possibility of moving the Allure, so RCI would have an Oasis class in Miami, PE & PC, as others have said..after South Florida still feels let down with the first 2 Quantum ships going to China & NY, maybe this news is bright for Miami & South Florida...it's a lot easier to fly to Miami than to China for most, lol...still would love to see a better variety of ports for these larger ships- maybe also ports like Turks & Caicos, Grand Cayman, Tortola, Dominican Republic, Belize, Roatan, and maybe St. Croix..I know some of the older, smaller RCI ships go to some of these ports, but I would love to go some of these ports, especially since many have built or are building new docks like Tortola, DR ,Belize, Roatan,etc..I have already been ORDERED by my wife..no more St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau/San Juan & 3 days at sea, OR Jamaica, Cozumel, Labadee, & 3 days for the Oasis class...we have done both of those 8x each...also would love to see the Adventure leave San Juan & get a newer Voyager class or Freedom ship there...just some thoughts...

Big Al

I can't imagine RCI would invest $100 million & build a 400 meter ( 1,312 ft) dock if they were NOT planning to bring either a new Oasis class in 2018, a new Quantum class ( 2018 or 2019) , move a Freedom ship ( 1,112 ft) or Voyager ship ( 1,020 ft)..there's also the possibility of moving the Allure, so RCI would have an Oasis class in Miami, PE & PC, as others have said..after South Florida still feels let down with the first 2 Quantum ships going to China & NY, maybe this news is bright for Miami & South Florida...it's a lot easier to fly to Miami than to China for most, lol...still would love to see a better variety of ports for these larger ships- maybe also ports like Turks & Caicos, Grand Cayman, Tortola, Dominican Republic, Belize, Roatan, and maybe St. Croix..I know some of the older, smaller RCI ships go to some of these ports, but I would love to go some of these ports, especially since many have built or are building new docks like Tortola, DR ,Belize, Roatan,etc..I have already been ORDERED by my wife..no more St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau/San Juan & 3 days at sea, OR Jamaica, Cozumel, Labadee, & 3 days for the Oasis class...we have done both of those 8x each...also would love to see the Adventure leave San Juan & get a newer Voyager class or Freedom ship there...just some thoughts...

Big Al

My wife would never speak such blasphemy.:D All joking aside, I think it might be the fourth Oasis class ship or the next Quantum Class ship that will be debuted at that point in time. Maybe even both ships if it is a Saturday and Sunday departure dates.

My wife would never speak such blasphemy.:D All joking aside, I think it might be the fourth Oasis class ship or the next Quantum Class ship that will be debuted at that point in time. Maybe even both ships if it is a Saturday and Sunday departure dates.

If they wanted to, they could throw the Q Class ship on those 9/5 night itineraries that Nav will be doing next year. (I'd love to book that 9 nighter on a Q Class ship!) And then they could have an Oasis class ship doing the 7 nighters.

IMO, that works well. The 3 main Florida ports would all have at least one Oasis Class, and Florida would also finally get a Q Class. Makes up for sending the other 2 to China... ;)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser