Big expansion plans for Port of Miami

LMaxwell

Why the POM expansion if you look at a global perspective. However I would never go out of there again, unless booked with a TA that offered Transportation to and from the Cruise or port. I am a able driver, but driving there is a PITA and I grew up in South Florida. Granted that Port Everglades is not great, but it is more accessible with out knowing where to go.

RCI is considering some big expansion plans / new terminal for POM.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article34621548.html

I'm glad I checked for this topic before posting. This will be an interesting story to follow for awhile. Miami isn't the most convenient or economical port for us to sail out of, but I sure enjoy it. 4 out of 5 of my first cruises where out of there and sure I'm a bit nostalgic over it. Fort Lauderdale is easier and now Ive also cruised out of Tampa and Port Canaveral. Now to check the rest of this thread and discuss!

Edited by BillOh

If I had to guess which ship would be going to Miami, it would be The Allure. Then you would have all 3 at different ports in Florida.

A point with merit, given the new terminal maybe opening fall of 18 brings Oasis 4 into play. I do hope by then the class of ship can add another port or two to its itinerary. The tired old cliche "The ship is the destination, not the ports" is less and less valid, if you ever thought it was, every year.

I'd love to see Freedom class return to Miami as well. Freedom can turn around in the basin, so it won't have to use the new terminal.

As long as Southwest Airlines flies only into Fort Lauderdale and not into Miami, I and a lot of other people will not be happy about sailing out of Miami.

I have sailed out of Miami quite a few times, and it is very inconvenient and much more expensive.

I somewhat agree, but might vary in the terms VERY and MUCH. We are about the same latitude. Our airline offerings are similar. I was hoping by now the other airlines would follow southwest and go no charge for baggage, but that hasn't happened. We now take one suitcase each and a carryon for a 7 day cruise. Miami is a bit more expensive, but less than it has been at times. The convenience to me is offset somewhat by I can find earlier flights home from MIA.

This is good news IMO. I have to fly anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me... (but I do like a pre-cruise stay in FLL better.)

Anyway... I would say that either Oasis IV or Quantum IV will be heading to Miami. With that large of an investment, I personally think that they would have, uhm, maybe 3 RCI ships sailing from there. A weekend ship, a 7 night ship, and maybe a 5/9 night ship (like Nav in 16/17). Maybe both new Oasis and Quantum ship could go there? I can hope... :p

So far I haven't even considered the Quantum class. I hope your right. If this thread is still going around 2018 when events really start to take shape, I'll come back and say "good call"

Why the POM expansion if you look at a global perspective. However I would never go out of there again, unless booked with a TA that offered Transportation to and from the Cruise or port. I am a able driver, but driving there is a PITA and I grew up in South Florida. Granted that Port Everglades is not great, but it is more accessible with out knowing where to go.

What was so bad about driving there? I live in South Florida too. Port Everglades is closer to me, but I've gone out of POM plenty and don't find it difficult. I avoid 95 like the plague at rush hour.

MIA is already a huge international gateway and RCI has made it clear they want to expand their international clientele. FLL will just never be a big international gateway.

But once Uber is back and running in Broward County (next week we hope!), it's half the cost of a cab to Miami from FLL.

Sailing Majesty as many times as I have, I actually have no issue with POM. I find it easier and more efficient than Port Everglades. And the opening of the Port of Miami tunnel is a major plus.

Yes, the Port of Miami Tunnel has made it much easier to get to the port.

RCI had to do something at POM. NCL will be sailing the Getaway and Escape(IMHO the most beautiful ship on the planet). Carnival will be sailing the Vista and future Pinnacle ships. MSC is making a huge investment with the Seaside sailing year round and the Divina in the peak North American cruise season. Then there's Virgin. RCI can't sit idle with all that going on feet behind their corporate HQ.

Meh, Miami airport is a nightmare and everything I have ever heard was that the port was the worst in florida. Will be trying it for the first time next year so we shall see.

As a person who has done 5 cruises out of Miami, It's not the best, but coming from Ohio in late winter early spring, it beats the hell out of staying home. Yes, I can get to the ship faster from FLL than MIA, but I'm still going on a cruise. I like choices.

I've always loved visiting South Beach pre-cruise and sailing from Miami, but the utter chaos and incompetence I encountered at Miami Airport last year (which put me within 6 minutes of missing my flight home although I'd arrived several HOURS early) soured me completely on that place. :mad:

I'd rather fly in and out of FLL and pay for the extra ground transport than ever set foot in Miami Airport again.

But there really is no sight to compare with sailing out of the cut and watching Miami Beach disappear over the horizon. :D

That is interesting but it make me a bit nervous. Port Everglades is so much more convenient, from a time and expense perspective, for transfers between FLL and the port.

As long as Southwest Airlines flies only into Fort Lauderdale and not into Miami, I and a lot of other people will not be happy about sailing out of Miami.

I have sailed out of Miami quite a few times, and it is very inconvenient and much more expensive.

Agree with both of you.

Tunnel? You mean I won't get my first view of the ships climbing the bridge after turning by AA arena?

bridgeview.jpg

You still gonna have that view after turning by AA arena or you can keep driving north past the arena and take the freeway to the beach. This time the ships will be on your right hand side before entering to the tunnel

While RCI have not yet done a press release concerning Miami, the Sea-trade Insider article has been updated today with the RCI perspective from Royal Caribbean spokesman Rob Zeiger.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-plans-huge-new-portmiami-cruise-terminal.html

They do not expect Port Everglades to be a loser with the future growth at Miami.

Zeiger called the plans a vote of confidence for South Florida, adding that he doesn't anticipate any port to be a loser in a situation like this in view of the company's newbuild orderbook. Royal Caribbean has a 'really great relationship with Port Everglades,' which was 'able to execute for Oasis and Allure,' he noted, in building the $75m Terminal 18.

'It feels good when we can grow anywhere and make an economic impact. It feels especially good when it's in our hometown,' Zeiger added.

Edited by MADflyer

While RCI have not yet done a press release concerning Miami, the Sea-trade Insider article has been updated today with the RCI perspective from Royal Caribbean spokesman Rob Zeiger.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-plans-huge-new-portmiami-cruise-terminal.html

They do not expect Port Everglades to be a loser with the future growth at Miami.

Zeiger called the plans a vote of confidence for South Florida, adding that he doesn't anticipate any port to be a loser in a situation like this in view of the company's newbuild orderbook. Royal Caribbean has a 'really great relationship with Port Everglades,' which was 'able to execute for Oasis and Allure,' he noted, in building the $75m Terminal 18.

'It feels good when we can grow anywhere and make an economic impact. It feels especially good when it's in our hometown,' Zeiger added.

Good info. Thanks.

RCI had to do something at POM. NCL will be sailing the Getaway and Escape(IMHO the most beautiful ship on the planet). Carnival will be sailing the Vista and future Pinnacle ships. MSC is making a huge investment with the Seaside sailing year round and the Divina in the peak North American cruise season. Then there's Virgin. RCI can't sit idle with all that going on feet behind their corporate HQ.

I agree with you on everything, except your Escape comment... UGLY!

Anyway... Because of all of these new builds, I'm going to speculate that one Oasis Class ship will head there in 2018 (may or may not be Oasis 4), and then Quantum 4 will go there in 2019. All this in addition to a weekend ship. That would not hurt FLL, as they may even keep 2 Oasis class there (if one doesn't head over to China), as well as the older ships that offer other various itineraries.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

A point with merit, given the new terminal maybe opening fall of 18 brings Oasis 4 into play. I do hope by then the class of ship can add another port or two to its itinerary. The tired old cliche "The ship is the destination, not the ports" is less and less valid, if you ever thought it was, every year.

I'd love to see Freedom class return to Miami as well. Freedom can turn around in the basin, so it won't have to use the new terminal.

I think just the opposite. The Harmony enhancements play into the ship is the destination logic.

YMMV

I think just the opposite. The Harmony enhancements play into the ship is the destination logic.

YMMV

Agreed, which leads to the next question, Will Allure and Oasis be Harmonized? (sounds like group Karaoke!)

Good info. Thanks.

I agree with you on everything, except your Escape comment... UGLY!

Anyway... Because of all of these new builds, I'm going to speculate that one Oasis Class ship will head there in 2018 (may or may not be Oasis 4), and then Quantum 4 will go there in 2019. All this in addition to a weekend ship. That would not hurt FLL, as they may even keep 2 Oasis class there (if one doesn't head over to China), as well as the older ships that offer other various itineraries.

You sure you've seen the Escape? Epic is the one with the big fivehead...I mean forehead.

Q class doesn't have enough open exterior spaces. Not hard to make some areas more open though.

This all reminds me I better get back on the Bimini Superfast before RCI claims that berthing space.

You sure you've seen the Escape? Epic is the one with the big fivehead...I mean forehead.

Q class doesn't have enough open exterior spaces. Not hard to make some areas more open though.

This all reminds me I better get back on the Bimini Superfast before RCI claims that berthing space.

Exterior wise, yes, I've seen the Escape (renderings and float out pictures). I think the Escape is ugly. And I know which one the Epic is, I've actually been on it. The Epic is even worse. :rolleyes:

Sure, one could claim that Q class doesn't have enough open spaces, but that can also be applied to the Radiance class, yet 3 of them are in the Caribbean seasonally or year round. Q4 could split time between Miami and somewhere else possibly.

YMMV

Yes, Harmony of the Seas is still in STX France. They will expect to be delivered in Spring 2016.

Up until a few years ago, i very much preferred Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades. With All the large ships from many cruiselines going to Port Everglades, the airfare and hotels (At least where I am flying from (MSP)) has skyrocketed.

I flew out of Miami late last year for the first time in years, and was pleasantly surprised by all the work they have done to the airport, and the new tunnel to the pier this year cuts down travel time from the airport in half. (However they did raise the cab fare to 27.00 flat rate).

I also enjoy the sail away from Miami along the causeway (Which sadly will be shorter if the ship is further East depending on if it has to turn around in the basin prior to sailing or if it did in the morning)

Hopefully balancing some of the megaships will help with the overcrowding of hotels at Port Everglades and make it easier to find a reasonable room there as well.