how bad is Costa really?

ren0312

Having done 55 plus cruises with all of the cruise lines, Costa has reversed in all areas.Our latest trip with them was an eye opener,it is now all about getting money for all things from the clients.Service, never one of their strong points, is worse than 2 years ago. out last trip with Costa.Food is geared for the Italians and is very different to US/ English style.Any "extras", which elsewhere are inclusive, have to be paid for

I agree with you Toonbear. It's ALWAYS that way with Costa and MSC. For YEARS !! The buffet is awful :eek:. If we arrived after a tour there's nothing edible. I wish other cruiselines go to the Seychelles.

Having done 55 plus cruises with all of the cruise lines, Costa has reversed in all areas.Our latest trip with them was an eye opener,it is now all about getting money for all things from the clients.Service, never one of their strong points, is worse than 2 years ago. out last trip with Costa.Food is geared for the Italians and is very different to US/ English style.Any "extras", which elsewhere are inclusive, have to be paid for

Try to get regular coffee with milk (Kafe Americano?) for dinner. It is almost impossible. You have to pay for water at dinner unless you are from USA. And you'll be going hungry if you didn't get to eat at mentioned times for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you like 'authentic Italian pizza" it's 4 euros. Brush up on your Italian if you fully want to understand announcements.

To add insult to injury have checked the cost of the same cruise we were on, they are doing it for a few more weeks. The UK price, cruise only is, approx 1/3 more than the Italian price, enough to pay for the drinks package.With regard to the Americans not being charged for water, they also can revoke the daily HOTEL CHARGE, quote "due to Federal Law" as I was told by the English speaking host.

This was my first, and last, Costa cruise. And I didn't think it was cheap! I think the drinks packages are a 'nickel and dime' way to make money. The five languages spoken (Spanish, Italian, French, English and German) in that order, were a bit much, especially during the 'safety drill' (the ship would have sunk before all the instructions were given!)

The room was nice and kept very clean and the staff work hard. It's too bad management decisions (overpriced excursions; too long in one port, not enough in another, the above mentioned drinks packages) and discrepancies between prices paid for the cruise dependent upon which country you booked from, didn't make up for what was good about the cruise.

Dancer Bob,(No pun intended) What ever floats your boat!!!!!.

We have travelled on QV and QE, I want to do the QM that is next, hopefully.

A Costa cruise can be raucous , if you like to dance like you, I cannot, it must be enjoyable. I agree with your comment about single fares, they are unfair, have you looked at Fred Olsen ? they do have single cabins on their ships.

As a Costa fan (21 cruises with them) it never ceases to amaze me how people complain about the 5/6 languages. TIP, if it is not in English it does not concern us.

On our last trip Neo-Romantica two very experienced cruisers constantly complained about too many Italians on board & at the continental food. Ah don't you just love the English.

IMO Costa gives great value for money they are also very helpful when you know the right people to book with. They have with the Neoo ships tried to give us more time in port up-graded cabins and great décor,the shows are mainly understandable with a lot of English songs. their choice of pillows & cabin extras is awesome once you reach the higher levels in the Costa Club.

As far as service is concerned maybe it is how you treat the staff, we have never had any trouble having problems solved, getting drinks, extras in cabins & so on. Strange to say all the crew have spoken English some better than I.

Just one moan from us, not enough time left to do all the cruises they offer.

Edited by tenpin

How pleased am I to read some common sense and intelligence on here Tenpin!

I agree with everything you have written!

I'm so sick of the " I really want to have a 6* experience but like the Costa price " brigade!

It's quite funny when they complain about the Italian food as well as the Italians on board!

Caryl

I always have to laugh when people complain about the 5 languages annoucements, especially at muster drill. What other cruise line takes it's safety drill seriously by doing it in so many languages (with the exception of MSC), not every passengers speaks English.

I have never gone hungry on a Costa cruise, and the Extra All Inclusive drinks package is one of the best at sea.

I do have one complaint, too many Italian Nights. I would like to a British Seaside Night. Trouses rolled up to the knee, braces, knotted handkerchief on your head, daughter with a Kiss Me Quick hat, only fish and chips with the malt vinegar, mushy peas and the fried mars bar as dessert. Karaoka competition who can perform the best Northern accent "Trouble at t'mill lad". Memories of the 50s.:D

I am really glad to hear some positive reviews from tenpin, Caspall, Dancer Bob and G.M.T.!

I should be used to negative threads on Cruise Critic because we usually cruise on Carnival, but it's a bit disconcerting when cruising on a European line for the first time and most of what you hear is negative comments with threads titled things like "How awful is __________?" :eek:

I am really glad to hear some positive reviews from tenpin, Caspall, Dancer Bob and G.M.T.!

I should be used to negative threads on Cruise Critic because we usually cruise on Carnival, but it's a bit disconcerting when cruising on a European line for the first time and most of what you hear is negative comments with threads titled things like "How awful is __________?" :eek:

Reading between the lines of negative reviews / comments, I tend to break them down into three categories:

1. Someone has a genuine grievance, where someting major has happened or gone wrong.

2. Someone what something e.g. table for two by the window, wanted a free upgrade, etc. All the answers they got was NO, so the cruise was totally crap.

3. People want to experience European culture, but when they return to the ship they what an American environment - food, entertainment, language.

As soon as someone says that Europeans are rude, then that is the end of the road for me reading that particular review. Europe has over 50 countries and over 220 languages.

Go with an open mind and go with the flow and have a great cruise. If someone on the ship doesn't understand you, just start waving your arms about (not in an aggresive manner), they will think yor are Italian and you will get everything you want.;):D

I always have to laugh when people complain about the 5 languages annoucements, especially at muster drill. What other cruise line takes it's safety drill seriously by doing it in so many languages (with the exception of MSC), not every passengers speaks English.

I have never gone hungry on a Costa cruise, and the Extra All Inclusive drinks package is one of the best at sea.

I do have one complaint, too many Italian Nights. I would like to a British Seaside Night. Trousers rolled up to the knee, braces, knotted handkerchief on your head, daughter with a Kiss Me Quick hat, only fish and chips with the malt vinegar, mushy peas and the fried mars bar as dessert. Karaoka competition who can perform the best Northern accent "Trouble at t'mill lad". Memories of the 50s.:D

Pure quality! :) Love it.

Just back from a cruise on Costa Luminosa and absolutely loved it! The food was great in both the restaurant and the buffet, the entertainment was good with a huge variety to suit all different tastes and loved the party atmosphere and all the dancing. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Announcements in the 5 different languages didn't bother us and we thought it was fun to try and guess what was being said before the English version came on! We met lots of great people from all different parts of Europe. This was our first time with Costa and would definitely go again, we were a bit apprehensive before we went after reading some negative reviews but we shouldn't have worried[emoji3][emoji483][emoji482][emoji322]

Just to clear up any misconceptions, I have been cruising since the mid 70's on just about every line there is, each one is different, but Costa has always come up trumps when things go wrong.

Example, after 9/11 when took a booked cruise with Costa for Christmas getting on board found we were doing a different Itinerary to the one booked, end result after writing in, free cruise the following December including flight's. Thought this was better than fair given the circumstances.

Just returned from the Favolosa. Our 4th with Costa. One MSC in the middle.

As always, we had a great time. The food was the best yet, they really have upped their game here. I will write a review shortly, my only 2 concerns were when ordering water in the bar its by the glass as we had the AI package. So we just ordered 3 or 4 at a time. Best order huge cocktails!!! And hot breakfast finished by 9am. Im on holiday i dont want to get up too early!!! Probably did my ever increasing waistline a favour though......

Dont be concerned about Costa, for our family its perfect mix for dress up or dress down. Not a fan of freestyle dining....we like to dress for dinner, our kids do too.

I have read a good 15-20 reviews of Costa Diadema on CC and I can't find very much to agree with in terms of people's gripes. I guess it all comes down to what you make of it and what your expectations are. Am I surprised that I'm in the minority as an American on a European ship? Nope. Do I think it's unfair to make people pay $3.50 for a bottle of water? Not really, I expect to buy the AI beverage package anyway, and I'll get free water at dinner since we booked from the USA. Plus my wife and I plan to bring large empty water bottles and fill them up during the day, and/or buy bottled water onshore. Am I upset that there's no dinner buffet at 10 pm? Not when I have a 5-course meal that starts at 9:00 pm. Do I complain about having to get to the MDR by 9 am to have a hot breakfast? Not at all, I usually fall asleep by 11 and wake by 7 am. What about cruisers who whinge about 90 degree weather in Naples, in July??? Please. I live near Washington, DC and it's sometimes 90 degrees by 12 pm. And the lack of English speakers? Hello, it's an Italian line! Again, I WANT to be around Europeans, if I only wanted to travel with Americans, I'd never leave home. I feel sorry for those who don't read the rules, don't know they're in for, expect everything to be like back home and then have the nerve to blame the cruise line for their disappointments. Go on your cruise with a positive attitude and that fixes 90% of the problems you may face.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have read a good 15-20 reviews of Costa Diadema on CC and I can't find very much to agree with in terms of people's gripes. I guess it all comes down to what you make of it and what your expectations are. Am I surprised that I'm in the minority as an American on a European ship? Nope. Do I think it's unfair to make people pay $3.50 for a bottle of water? Not really, I expect to buy the AI beverage package anyway, and I'll get free water at dinner since we booked from the USA. Plus my wife and I plan to bring large empty water bottles and fill them up during the day, and/or buy bottled water onshore. Am I upset that there's no dinner buffet at 10 pm? Not when I have a 5-course meal that starts at 9:00 pm. Do I complain about having to get to the MDR by 9 am to have a hot breakfast? Not at all, I usually fall asleep by 11 and wake by 7 am. What about cruisers who whinge about 90 degree weather in Naples, in July??? Please. I live near Washington, DC and it's sometimes 90 degrees by 12 pm. And the lack of English speakers? Hello, it's an Italian line! Again, I WANT to be around Europeans, if I only wanted to travel with Americans, I'd never leave home. I feel sorry for those who don't read the rules, don't know they're in for, expect everything to be like back home and then have the nerve to blame the cruise line for their disappointments. Go on your cruise with a positive attitude and that fixes 90% of the problems you may face.

What a great post! :thumbup::thumbup:

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, people have expectations

(realistic or unrealistic) and therefore be disappointed. I have sailed Costa three times and while I know there is no evening buffet and the MDR is the only 'free' option, I do find it inconvenient and I may vent this but this is an opinion that I would post in a review. Similarly I don't like paying €3,50 for a L of water and I think it is ok for me to have a moan about that in a review. Again I expect 90F heat in Naples but it is Ok to have a moan and describe the tough going it is in those conditions. And yes 9am is a tad early for breakfast on a sea day and it is ok to have a moan!

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, people have expectations

(realistic or unrealistic) and therefore be disappointed. I have sailed Costa three times and while I know there is no evening buffet and the MDR is the only 'free' option, I do find it inconvenient and I may vent this but this is an opinion that I would post in a review. Similarly I don't like paying €3,50 for a L of water and I think it is ok for me to have a moan about that in a review. Again I expect 90F heat in Naples but it is Ok to have a moan and describe the tough going it is in those conditions. And yes 9am is a tad early for breakfast on a sea day and it is ok to have a moan!

You're absolutely right, and there's nothing with me having a moan about others' having a moan. ;-)

In all seriousness, though, I think that it's unjust to criticize a whole cruise line because of an individual's personal unfulfilled expectations. When someone posts a topic entitled "how bad is Costa really," the implication is that it's the cruise line's fault all of the time. I'm simply trying to point out that that isn't the case. I mean, how can you complain about the weather being Costa's fault? I will say that paying €3.50 for water is crazy, BUT: if you get the unlimited drinks package on Costa and pay €25 per day, you're done. On Carnival and RCI the water may be free, but their drinks packages cost almost $60 day. So much for that water being "free." And I've read many reviews of Costa complaining about the muster drills being conducted in 5 languages. It's a safety concern, and it would be irresponsible not to have it in multiple languages given their clientele. Have your expectations, by all means. But make sure they're reasonable and don't blame the cruise line (and trash them online) because of what's not the cruise line's fault. *end of rant*

Edited by DCGuy64

You're absolutely right, and there's nothing with me having a moan about others' having a moan. ;-)

In all seriousness, though, I think that it's unjust to criticize a whole cruise line because of an individual's personal unfulfilled expectations. When someone posts a topic entitled "how bad is Costa really," the implication is that it's the cruise line's fault all of the time. I'm simply trying to point out that that isn't the case. I mean, how can you complain about the weather being Costa's fault? I will say that paying €3.50 for water is crazy, BUT: if you get the unlimited drinks package on Costa and pay €25 per day, you're done. On Carnival and RCI the water may be free, but their drinks packages cost almost $60 day. So much for that water being "free." And I've read many reviews of Costa complaining about the muster drills being conducted in 5 languages. It's a safety concern, and it would be irresponsible not to have it in multiple languages given their clientele. Have your expectations, by all means. But make sure they're reasonable and don't blame the cruise line (and trash them online) because of what's not the cruise line's fault. *end of rant*

Many of the problems are caused by lack of research on Costa Cruise Line by the traveler. Don't go in blind and then complain...