Windstar no longer "luxury" quality

CuriousTraveler10

I could just add that we experience similar service issues on the Surf in August. It just seemed like everyone was running around like headless chickens, the management was largely absent, the shore excursion desk was almost never staffed etc. I wonder if they've had to spread their trained management staff around too thin with so many ships coming online at once. The daily newsletter was riddled with typos, multiple errors in the times of various events, etc. We'd show up somewhere for a scheduled event and the people there had no idea what we were talking about.

Just a fair bit off the mark based on previous experiences.

Add me to the list of people who are looking around to find something else and take a bread from WS.

We were just on the Tall Ships in August and loved every minute, the same cruise as Milepig. I felt it was a happy ship. Sanders, from the head office was there he was always around. The hotel manager, Nick, was also alway around and was very welcoming and friendly. There were lots if extra events and surprises especially the time we were in Amsterdam. We were with first timer friends and I might add very fussy eaters really gourmands, people used to eating in Micheln rated restaurants and they were very pleasantly surprised on how excellent the food and service was. No complaints at all, we were a happy group of 12 friends and family. I have to say I rarely complain, I am a very seasoned traveler, I love more the experience than luxury and not to sound too sweet toothed I am very grateful that I can enjoy trips like these with people I love. All good. Happy sailing. Susanne

Trying the Sea Breeze in December will report back. First time on a ship without sails. Excited.

I agree with the OP and the other posts that Windstar's quality is declining since they doubled their fleet size. We were just on the Star Breeze and we saw rust, worn out carpets, dirt, slow service, etc. All of the same things the OP and other posters have mentioned. It's a shame the OP got taken advantage of by the Turkish store that's a Windstar partner. We were in that store too after a shore excursion but we walked out as soon as they started pressuring us. Luckily, the store is within walking distance of the ship so we weren't completely stranded. Windstar should only partner with high quality companies that will treat their guests with integrity and should not drop guests off after a shore excursion :mad:at a store that is known for taking advantage of its customers. Shame on Windstar for its poor ship maintenance, declining service and lack of accountability. After cruising with Windstar almost every year for the past nine years, we are now looking for a new cruise line partner too.

I agree with the OP and the other posts that Windstar's quality is declining since they doubled their fleet size. We were just on the Star Breeze and we saw rust, worn out carpets, dirt, slow service, etc. All of the same things the OP and other posters have mentioned. It's a shame the OP got taken advantage of by the Turkish store that's a Windstar partner. We were in that store too after a shore excursion but we walked out as soon as they started pressuring us. Luckily, the store is within walking distance of the ship so we weren't completely stranded. Windstar should only partner with high quality companies that will treat their guests with integrity and should not drop guests off after a shore excursion :mad:at a store that is known for taking advantage of its customers. Shame on Windstar for its poor ship maintenance, declining service and lack of accountability. After cruising with Windstar almost every year for the past nine years, we are now looking for a new cruise line partner too.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, SunnyMoonRust. I see this is your first post. And I see that you're from Meadow Vista, same as "ArtisticMuseInternational." What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

We enjoy cruising both Windstar and Seabourn. We like the differences. Windstar is the luxury BBQ, Seabourn the fine dining special occasion - both have their different attractions. Food on Windstar we always prefer to Seabourn although its a personal thing - no serious complaints about Seabourn food. We are just more relaxed and informal when it comes to most things. Love the Seabourn cabins - Windstar will eventually have to do something about that I suppose. Windstar cabins are now a bit behind the times and I agree with others, 4* rather than 5*. However, we have always enjoyed our time on both lines and would not like it if they were identical.

I am very embarrassed by my post and I am sincerely sorry it sounded like I was blaming Windstar for my bad judgment. I agree my purchases are my responsibility. The only thing I wanted is help from Windstar since it was a Windstar-approved store and that specific store was part of the shore excursion. Fortunately, Windstar has contacted me and is investigating the situation. They are being helpful now.

Yes, I was a fool and gullible. I agree but it hurt to be criticized by so many Cruise Critic members especially since I was already so embarrassed. Again, just for the record, I take full responsibility and it was 100% my fault. When we were in Istanbul, I walked out of the store when we were pressured. I will never let myself be so stupid again. I have learned my lesson.

All I ask of my fellow Cruise Critic members is please try to be more kind when someone says something stupid they did on this forum. I have been sad for weeks about my mistake and then after my post, I felt ten times worse and even more stupid. I hope this forum will be a safe place for future OPs. We are only human and we all make mistakes and I am accepting full responsibility.

I do stand by the rest of my comments about Windstar's new ships being in need of better maintenance.

Yes, the chocolates were a huge trauma! I used to love their special evening chocolates and the surprise of not knowing what I would get. You can make fun of that too if you want. It's the little things in life that really make me happy.

Overall, I had an unforgettable vacation and I loved it. When anyone asks, I tell them it was wonderful. I loved our balcony stateroom - it was incredible to see the ocean from bed and feel the sea breeze. I loved the separate living room. The staterooms and ports of call were fabulous and unforgettable. We had almost a month's vacation total including time pre/post cruise. I had the time of my life in spite of the Turkish store snafu.

In the future, I think we will try other cruise lines because we've been on so many Windstar cruises, it's time for a change. I also am still sad and disappointed that Windstar is having growing pains. Before this cruise, I felt Windstar's sailing ships esp the Wind Surf were first class. Up until now, we were so loyal to Windstar and we'd always book our next Windstar cruise onboard. Now, for the amount we paid for this cruise plus all the onboard spending, jewelry purchases, rug purchase and costs for pre/post cruise hotels and meals, I think we may be ready to step up to Seabourn. And no more big ticket shopping in foreign countries - we will stick to refrigerator magnets in the future! (I think we wiped out my shopping budget for the next 2 years anyway.)

I can totally relate. We had serious buyer's remorse about 10 minutes after we left the carpet showroom. We had serious concerns about whether they would even make it to the USA.

When they finally arrived, we had second thoughts about that buyer's remorse thing. They were beautiful. Probably could have gotten them here in LA for a lower price but we'd already paid for them and they worked very well in our home.

That said, we are now like stale beer, older Budweiser.

CuriousTraveler10

I'm sorry for my post if it in any way added to your feeling bad. I honestly have never been in a position of feeling taken advantage of while in a store abroad. I've been in uncomfortable situations where we have just walked away or never sat down.

I'm still a bit confused about the chocolates. All I've ever had were those blue and silver foiled squares, never anything special. I must be missing out on something! 😳

I for one will try to be more sensitive when responding. Glad you came back and responded. I think everyone can be reminded, especially in this day and age, to be a bit kinder. Sorry.

In the future, we will consider "real" luxury cruise lines because Windstar is now overpriced for what they offer. While the other luxury cruise lines may seem more expensive, they include more items in the price than Windstar does and they offer a true luxury experience on well-maintained ships.

Thank you for posting this! We have been seriously looking at a Windstar cruise for a few years and were very close to booking for next year but the consistently poor reviews (on this and other sites) prevented us from doing so. We were very interested in the ex Seabourn vessels for the reasons you mentioned but your comments confirm others that I have heard and read.

I think we will be sticking with Oceania or trying Azamara for our Greek Isles cruise.

Thanks again!

CuriousTraveler10

I'm still a bit confused about the chocolates. All I've ever had were those blue and silver foiled squares, never anything special. I must be missing out on something! 😳

These are the chocolates that are being referred to:

ry%3D400

I know - somewhat of a first world problem. But I also miss them. They were handmade (found that out on a galley tour). They could be dark, milk or white chocolate. They were rich and creamy. This photo was taken on our cruise in 2014 on the Wind Star.

I will now join the ranks of those who are posting that some of their recent cruises were not up to their expectations. We were on the Gaelic Explorer cruise on the Star Legend in June. Of all our previous cruises with Windstar, this was our least favorite - and not because of the itinerary.

From the moment we stepped aboard with no one to greet us except the ship's photographer, everything felt "off" during the entire cruise. Lots of small things that became irritating after they kept happening over and over. Poor service in Amphora (until we found Esther) - meals taking three hours or more, wine stewards taking one couple's order at a table and ignoring the couple seated with them.

Ship's officers were invisible. Basically, the only time were saw them was in Amphora at their hosted tables. They did appear at the Welcome Back reception for about 15 minutes (huddled together and talking among themselves) and then they were gone. One couple who had no hot water for five days had to set up an appointment to try to speak to anyone who might be able to help them.

We did enjoy our suite. We felt the other renovations were well done and, while we noticed areas that needed additional work, they did not bother us and I'm sure Windstar will be addressing them in the future. Since it was not too warm with rainy nights during our cruise, I really can't comment too much on deck areas. We did hear reports that the hot tub temps hovered between 94 and 96 and were basically not used by anyone during the entire cruise. Despite complaints, evidently the crew could not fix the temp problem.

I did write to corporate with my concerns and was told we would hear back but have heard nothing yet. Tom and I love Windstar and are, therefore, very vested in their success.

We will continue to sail with Windstar - we are not jumping ship yet despite our recent cruise. I feel very badly that people are not booking with Windstar based on some of the recent reviews. I might feel the same way if I had not previously had so many incredible cruises with them. Hopefully, they will get through this period of growing pains and get back to delivering the wonderful experience many of us know they are capable of.

Hi, this is Cape Cod. Thanks for your most thoughtful critique. We obviously love WS as well and are vested in their continuation. We have never cruised with anyone else. We had a fantastic Tall Ships cruise. I always get concerned because the head office's reputation is so unresponsive. The difference between the head office and the ships always amazes me. I do think that the phone people have improved. We decided 5 days before we left on the Tall Ships to try the new yachts the cruise on 12/5 is so reasonable and we like repositioning plus throw in Cartengna it sounded good to us. I will give a review. My problem is that I am not fussy, I tend to like and find most things interesting. The experience is more important to me than " luxury " at whatever defines luxury. Having been around boats my entire life for me boats especially sailboats= continuous maintenance so I'm never bothered by a bit of rust comes with the salt water. Poor service is another thing but I have never experience that on WS I am sure it would break my heart! Anyway thanks again, we are excited about 12/5 and trying something new. Happy Sailing Susanne

I feel very badly that people are not booking with Windstar based on some of the recent reviews. I might feel the same way if I had not previously had so many incredible cruises with them. Hopefully, they will get through this period of growing pains and get back to delivering the wonderful experience many of us know they are capable of.

It is the consistency of poor reviews here and elsewhere and not the random negative review that is so concerning. I guess we waited too long to try Windstar as it is does appear to have suffered due to current management and expansion.

We also just came back from the Tall Sails trip and stayed on for France, Spain and Portugal for another 9 days. Our experience was wonderful on both and in the 17 days on board were treated like honored guests by staff at all levels. We booked a Caribbean cruise on the Legend for December and another b2b next September on the Surf. What needs to be considered is that most online forums get a lot more action from complainers than from complimenters. I guess it's human nature. When you consider Windstar is probably serving right at about 1,000 customers a week on 6 ships, having 6 or 8 online complaints means they're really doing a good job overall. We are not perfectionists and maybe we're too easily pleased but put me on Windstar any time and I'm smiling. Have been on Holland America, Cunard, RC and more. They were all fine in their own ways but WS is just special and we have no desire to go back to any of the others.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While there may be approximately 1,000 Windstar cruisers per week, how many of them even know about Cruise Critic. I have seen estimates that put the percentage of cruisers who know about and/or participate in Cruise Critic at around 3-5%. This is what accounts for the small number of people on the various Windstar Roll Calls.

It seems that those who are expressing disappointment and/or complaints have been on sailings with the three new ships. The Surf, Star and Spirit still seem to be holding their high ratings.

I can only speak for our experience. Tom and I are very go-with-the-flow people. Very rarely complain. However, our cruise on the Legend was not up to what we have come to expect from Windstar. There were a lot of unhappy cruisers on our sailing. On more than one occasion we found ourselves defending Windstar with first-time Windstar cruisers and/or former Seabourn cruisers who were complaining. We told them we felt this cruise was not a typical experience. In the past, other than the occasional "grump", we've never experienced so many people around us complaining so much.

Obviously, we still love Windstar since we have two more cruises booked with them. We've just decided to stick with the sails for now.:D

I guess almost all of the comments made in This very popular forum have some validity, certainly to the cruisers making them. Our continued patronage of Windstar is based on first, our past experiences which have always been largely positive. Next are the itineraries which are always interesting, the crew which is overwhelmingly friendly and helpful, the small size of the ships, the convivial fellow passengers and the food.

We spent eighteen days on the Pride earlier this year, six or seven at sea, and had plenty of time to form an opinion about the condition of the ship. Remember that the Pride was the first of the "new" ships and was not the beneficiary of the more extensive renovations of the two following motorized ships. Rust, yes, hot tubs not always perfect, yes, some of the meals not the best, yes, but we had a great time because our focus was the adventure we were on and not the deficiencies of the vehicle that was getting us there. I guess it is a matter of your attitude. Ours was and continues to be positive.

We have never used the term "luxury" in reference to our cruises. This is such a subjective term depending on the person and their experiences. In my past life I have traveled luxuriously and I know what I mean by the term, but that is just what I mean. While I would not use that term in regards to Windstar we love the cruises and plan to continue to sail with them, with an open mind.

One more data point.

10+ previous WS itins. Appeared at AmphorA to be greeted by a maitre'd behind a podium who greeted us by name and took pride in finding dining companions for us.

Surf this August? Podium shoved into a corner. Untrained dining steward with a clipboard. No maitre'd. Every night there was no question asked about joining others as on every other cruise, and when we said we'd like to join others we were shown to a table for two.

A happy moment on every cruise being greeted by a smiling maitre 'd to be seated with interesting dining companions? Gone. Cost saving or just a bad crew? I don't know.

One more data point.

10+ previous WS itins. Appeared at AmphorA to be greeted by a maitre'd behind a podium who greeted us by name and took pride in finding dining companions for us.

Surf this August? Podium shoved into a corner. Untrained dining steward with a clipboard. No maitre'd. Every night there was no question asked about joining others as on every other cruise, and when we said we'd like to join others we were shown to a table for two.

A happy moment on every cruise being greeted by a smiling maitre 'd to be seated with interesting dining companions? Gone. Cost saving or just a bad crew? I don't know.

Wow. What a revolting development. We're scheduled on the Windsurf this October (our first cruise with WS) and sincerely hope this situation was a one off. :(

We did our first Windstar cruise last year on the Windstar in the Caribbean and loved it, after many sailings in larger lines (and some experiences on river cruises and much smaller ships)

We have booked on the Windstar again in December in the Caribbean, but also on the Star Legend venice to Rome trip next October to celebrate our 40th Wedding anniversary.

I am now becoming concerned about the mostly negative reviews of the newer Ex-Seabourne ships.

I see the Windstar CEO is answering questions on this forum in a few weeks. I hope he can reassure those of us who hope to enjoy cruising Windstar for many years to come.

I like to see posts that describe what was good and what wasn't. From the initial review, I would've thought the OP hated the vacation.

I've traveled on Azamara 3 times and loved them, on the whole. I personally don't understand the need to bash another line to make a different line sound better.

An individual cruise experience can vary tremendously. I remember checking in to a hotel for our Paul Gauguin pre-stay and chatting with a couple just finishing their PG cruise. :eek: Everything was awful! We were a little taken aback. 3 days later, we got on board, and had a fabulous time on a really wonderful cruise and ship.

I've found things to enjoy on all the cruises we've been on (maybe a dozen all told over the years), even ones on cruiselines we agreed we'd never sail with again, even for free.

Came home from a land trip to Egypt and Jordan with two fairly pricey items; one a tiny mosaic egg I still look at and say "what was I thinking?" and another a jeweled cat that I look at every day and say "I'm so glad I bought this." Was stone cold sober for both purchases.

We are trying Windstar (the Star) for the first time in December. Looking forward to finding out for ourselves what we like and don't and whether we would sail them again.

Edited by azevedan