Nativeway - Rays, Reef & Rum Point

picktowncruzr

Just got back from cruise and did the rays, reef and rum point with native way. If the group is large enough, they bring along a person from vip productions that films the entire excursion on a high quality underwater camera. She dons scuba gear for the snorkling part and she really did a good job of involving everyone (one video produced per trip). They then take orders on your way back to GC for vhs, video or pals, and you pay by cash or credit card then. They then professionally edit the footage and add music and ship it to you in 2-3 weeks. I saw clips from a previous trip and it was very well done. I will post in a few weeks when I get our copy. She was very good to get specific shots if you want them (my daughter piloting the boat, running on beach etc. ). It was pricy, but I had only brought one water camera so didn't get many shots myself. I believe the DVD was $65 including shipping.

i can never remember how this works - the time on the ship - what time zone are they following? if our ship leaves out of Miami -- what times are posted on the itinerary - so it if says it ports in Cayman at 7 am, what time zone is that?

Grand Cayman is in the same time zone as Miami, and that is the time the ship will be on. So if you port in GC at 7a that's what time it actually is. We are on a cruise that is also going to Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All of those are 1 hour behind the ship time, so if the ship docks at 7a, it will actually be 6a at those ports.

I should note that this is time zone info is correct as of 10/30 when we stop being on daylight savings time. I noticed you are cruising in December Boop, so that is why I gave you that info.

Yes, that's what we did was the $30 deal. Honestly it was a GREAT deal for the $$, just confusing because there really was no 'Salt & Pepper'. I would contact Fosters directly and just book through them, I think they offer the same $30pp deal. Not sure how much the transportation would be if you did it on your own. We did meet up with a couple that rented a scooter and drove themselves out there and they enjoyed that. If you do something like that - - the lunch is $16pp and they were giving people chairs for $1.

Is this at Rum point? We are thinking of renting a car, what is the $16 pp lunch about? thanks

Highly recommend the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeway! The group is small [we had about 25 people], they decide when to do the first two stops based on how many other boats are at each [so it won't be too crowded with other boats] and are great guides. As someone mentioned above, they coax out the creatures for you to see. With the rays they make sure that everyone who wants to hold them or get a ray "massage" gets to do so.

The video person was very friendly and she made sure she was getting pictures of everyone underwater. You can purchase a DVD for $65 on the boat or she'll give you a card so you can contact them for buying later if you decide to. They hold the video for a couple of weeks or so, she said.

We were told to be at the pier at 9:30 ship time and that we'd return at 2:45 ship time. We were supposed to be back at the ship at 3:00, and were a few minutes late, but we got the next-to-last tender back to the ship. There was time to shop/relax/stroll before we met for the tour. We went down to Eden Rock/Paradise to check it out. Many people were snorkeling there and we would have had time to do so if we'd wanted to.

newcruzrDave: Was that your adorable daughter piloting our boat last week [10/4]. What a thrill for her!

Sharks48,

Yes that was our daughter piloting the boat back to GC on 10/4. She had a great experience the whole trip. She had never been snorkling before, but did much better than some of the adults on our trip. She also parasailed at Key West. I can't wait to see the video.

:D I can answer a few of your questions concerning the video...We did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour 9/29 w/nativeway and it was truly fantastic !!! The photographer is with you the whole trip. We had 11 on our tour and he spends his time taking pics of everyone both above but mostly underwater. With the sringrays he gets 'posed' shots of the 'stingray hat'...which a guide holds it over your head & it looks like a hat; plus all the interaction with the stingrays.. Anyhow.....the video....After the trip & on the way back he shows you some of it from the camera & explains details. I haven't received mine yet but will let you know quality and content. He had scuba equip on when we were snorkeling and was under the whole time. I saw him getting shots of the moray eel & nurse shark that the guide was trying to coax out.......don't worry, no problem mon! I'm anxious to see. The cost was $60 and I don't know about ordering later. The photographer was guy who looked like a teenager but said he was 26 and from British Columbia Canada. The guides were locals...also quite young but great guides. We hope to copy the dvd to share between 3 people so the cost would only be $20. It's a fun time that's for sure !!!! b:D

Snorkel gear is included, although they use regular life jackets instead of snorkel vests if that matters to you. If you use their masks, be sure to ask for dish soap to keep the glass from fogging.

Do you HAVE TO wear any vest or jacket? Even while w/ the Stingrays?

No, you don't have to wear any vests, and since the stingray sandbar is only about 2-3 foot deep, not ever our 5 yo used one there. Also don't need masks or snorkels with the rays.

Ok, cool, Thanks! I've never really snorkeled before and I'm not big on using all this equipment...I just kinda want to hang out!! :)

I agree that you don't need the vests for the sting rays, but if your excursion includes a snorkel stop, you might want one there. On our boat in August there were no snorkel vests, only life jackets. The guide showed me how to tie it on differently though for snorkeling which worked well.

We booked the same tour and are on the same cruise !!! I really want to do the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint tour, but at the time booking there was not enough interest yet, so we are on a waitlist. Maybe we will see you there !?!?

Just watched our video from the Rays, Reef & Rum Point - - he did a great job! Super shots of the shark, eel, barracuda, etc. that we saw while snorkeling. When we went they did provide snorkel vests, but you didn't have to wear them. We 'opted out' of the vests - - all the salt in the water makes you very bouyant so it wasn't a problem at all and it was pretty choppy. After watching our video we definitely agreed that this was the best time we've ever had on an excusion!!

We booked the same tour and are on the same cruise !!! I really want to do the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint tour, but at the time booking there was not enough interest yet, so we are on a waitlist. Maybe we will see you there !?!?

Nellaj--

We will probably see you there, unless you get the RRR tour. We weren't as interested in Rum Point, so we booked the stingray/CoralGardens only. We just swapped to this cruise a few weeks ago--we were originally on the Grandeur to go out of New Orleans, and swapped to Legend when RC made their offer. We will see you there--I won't be tough to pick out. I'll be the scared-to-death-of-the-stingrays-one pining for my poor miserable basset hound at home. :)

Does anyone think the Island Tour with Nativeway is a Good Choice????

Was thinking of doing the Island Tour instead of Reef and Rum Point

with Nativeway.

I am looking forward to seeing the Rays,

Will my 76 year Young Mom feel safe in the boat that Nativeway uses??

She can't swim.

Thanks, Donna

• 2 weeks later...

We got the video and it was great. It was of everyone on the ship but since it's usually a small group, there is alot of shots of everyone. We purchased it on the boat. Can't recall how much but I think around $50. and it beat us back home. Hard to believe but it was in our mailbox when we got back to Cleveland.

It was pricy, but I had only brought one water camera so didn't get many shots myself. I believe the DVD was $65 including shipping.

If you think about what you're charged aboard the ship for an 8X10 print, suddenly $65 doesn't seem so pricey for a video! ;)

Sounds like a great trip. Our itinerary was just changed (3 days before sailing) to include Grand Cayman, so I'll try to set this up. Thanks for all the info on what sounds like a great tour.

:confused: Hey everyone,

My wife and I will be on our honeymoon in Dec. We will be on the Carnival Liberty Dec 18th-23rd. Anyway we are first time cruisers and from what I am reading it seems like the stingrays excursion is the place to be. So how do I contact this native way company to book an excursion??? Any other excursions anyone can recomend?

Thanks!

Hey, LuvMyBasset.....join us over in the Roll Call for the 12/3 sailing of the Legend. :) Also, don't forget to sign up for the Meet and Mingle onboard.

We are booked through Nativeways for the Reef, 'Rays and Rum Point tour. We did Stingray City and Coral Gardens last year, so we thought we'd do something different. I love Nativeways...they are super!!

We are looking at this tour, just because of the rave reviews of Rum Point - however we would rather have a better snorkel experience than a beach experience. What is everyones opinion of the snorkeling - is it better at Coral Gardens or the Barrier Reef?

Thanks!

Archived