NCL stirs up the gratuity game

SantaFeFan

Any of you ever go to Las Vegas where the quoted room rate doesn't include the added Resort Fee? That cannot be removed (in most cases unless you're a big gambler).

Maywell, hope your post wasn't directed at me. I'm in favor of what NCL is doing. I'd want them to do even more.

The resort fee in Las Vegas is for use of the exercise room, pool, business center, phone calls, wifi, etc. the DSC on boats is for crew wages. Bit of a difference.

Most restaurants in Europe include a service charge in the price you pay. I see "xx% gratuity added for parties of x or more" on a lot of menses in the states.

also here in Canada

If there is a group of 10+ they just add 15%

people work the waitstaff to death then leave nothing so the restaurants now just add it to the bill

The resort fee in Las Vegas is for use of the exercise room, pool, business center, phone calls, wifi, etc. the DSC on boats is for crew wages. Bit of a difference.

However if you do not use the exercise room, pool, etc. it cannot be removed.

You just pay it. Like you should just pay the cruiseline fees that go to crew wages.

Please name and describe three.

This from May 15 of this year:

You also do not know the specifics of the agreements and requirements between the cruise lines, the manning agencies in other countries, and the tax offices of the national governments of the tipped crewmembers.

Many Asian countries require the cruise lines to send a percentage of the tipped crew's salary (not their tips) back to their home country - through the manning agent - for tax purposes.

If the gratuities become part of the fare, they also become part of the crew salary. That forces the cruise lines to send a much higher percentage of the crew earnings back to their government, who then takes a much deeper cut of those earnings.

In the process, the manning agent who is handling those funds, fiddles with the exchange rates and skims a nice percentage off for himself.

Depending on many factors, adding the gratuities to the fare can result in a net loss for the service staff.

If you make it easy for a cheapskate to be cheap you effectively guarantee that he will be cheap. Simply showing up at the services desk to request that the service charge be removed - and not have to give any real reason probably resulted in a lot of people doing just that. Now, having to go on record and state a reason and go to some effort will at least make some of the cheapskates think twice.

In any event, it is not "their own money" -- it is money which is due to go to the crew unless those people claiming it can justify their claim.

First, it is "their" money and not the money of the crew and they don't have to justify any reason why they want it back.

Secondly, why must you resort to name calling of people who don't agree with your tipping policy? They have their reasons for not tipping and I don't see why it is your or my concern. I guess it does however guarantee you the opportunity to continue to name call.

And lastly, how do you know what their reason is for not tipping? Oh wait, is it because you think they are cheapskates and not a couple who scrimped and saved for the cruise and the extra 2 to 3 hundred dollars for tips means a lot to them?:rolleyes:

Why would anyone want to remove the DSC in the first place

It would have to be a really bad cruise for someone to remove all of the SC

Why do they need a reason to remove it? It is their decision to remove it or leave it, not yours or mine.;)

Why does it have to be for a bad cruise? maybe those few dollars are important to them.:)

maybe those few dollars are important to them.:)

Fair enough. It's important to the crew also. However, they should be perfectly honest and tell the crew, especially the cabin steward," you'll be cleaning my toilet all week but at the end of the cruise I'll take back the money you earned."

They're not going to order any drinks, are they? There's a gratuity added to those also.

If you make it easy for a cheapskate to be cheap you effectively guarantee that he will be cheap. Simply showing up at the services desk to request that the service charge be removed - and not have to give any real reason probably resulted in a lot of people doing just that. Now, having to go on record and state a reason and go to some effort will at least make some of the cheapskates think twice.

I don't know if I agree with that. First, going to the service desk to remove the DSC is a lot harder than the old cash-in-envelope system where non-tippers simply didn't tip. Plus, the current system forces people to have face-to-face interaction with another person in order to remove the DSC. The new NCL system via telephone takes away that personal interaction, so some people will probably find it much easier to remove their DSC. If they were willing to do it in person, I really doubt they will find it more difficult to do it via telephone.

This, of course, is assuming we're talking about people who just simply don't want to tip. In a case where service is so bad, people might want to adjust or remove their DSC, I know I would much rather do it in person where I have their attention.

I thought every country had different tax systems.

Tips are certainly taxed n the USA.

Can you name what country they aren't taxed in.

Every single country when you don't declare it!

That's why I tip extra in cash.

it appears from this post you actually have to have an issue & if they cannot resolve it then you can apply to have the amount reduced or removed

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47762433&postcount=31

I think it is a good idea JMO

so many people just remove the daily charge just because they can it happens on all cruise lines that allow it to be removed

First, it is "their" money and not the money of the crew and they don't have to justify any reason why they want it back.

Secondly, why must you resort to name calling of people who don't agree with your tipping policy? They have their reasons for not tipping and I don't see why it is your or my concern. I guess it does however guarantee you the opportunity to continue to name call.

And lastly, how do you know what their reason is for not tipping? Oh wait, is it because you think they are cheapskates and not a couple who scrimped and saved for the cruise and the extra 2 to 3 hundred dollars for tips means a lot to them?:rolleyes:

There was a time when DH and I scrimped and saved to be able to afford something. We did not go somewhere until we had enough money to pay for everything for which there was a cost. If we used a credit card, we only did if we could pay the full balance when due. It's really quite simple, one just needs to save longer.

Comments like this always make my shake my head in wonder. I find it appalling that some people apparently see nothing amiss with a person spending all their money on a cruise and not having any left over to reward the service staff for taking care of them. I do not find acceptable the idea that it is reasonable to "scrimp and save" for the cruise, but not for the ancillary costs that comes with it. Much like people who spend all their money on nice cars but then don't buy auto insurance because they can't afford the additional cost, these people are self serving and morally lacking.

If you can't afford to pay the tips, gratuities, service charge, then you can't afford to be cruising in the first place. Nothing debatable about that.

Perhaps those people you are so fervently defending should postpone their cruise a few more weeks until then can save up the additional funds to reward the staff for serving them. This seems like a much more responsible approach to taking a cruise than what you are defending. What would these people do if the gratuities were part of the fare? Simple. They would "scrimp and save" a while longer to pay for the higher fare now required, right? So why can't they also save up a bit more to pay the service charges? Tell us, why can't they?

Edited by SantaFeFan

it appears from this post you actually have to have an issue & if they cannot resolve it then you can apply to have the amount reduced or removed

so many people just remove the daily charge just because they can it happens on all cruise lines that allow it to be removed

Good idea? I think it's a great idea!

Sorry you can't remove your tips just because that money is "important to me and I've scrimped and saved for this cruise and the crew can be *darned*.:D

There was a time when DH and I scrimped and saved to be able to afford something. We did not go somewhere until we had enough money to pay for everything for which there was a cost. If we used a credit card, we only did if we could pay the full balance when due. It's really quite simple, one just needs to save longer.

I agree

we do not buy something unless the money is in the bank

People can just have 1 less drink a day & that will usaully cover the DSC/tip

What's so brilliantly evil about all of this is - its the cruise line finally taking advantage of their own contract language against cheapskates that don't want to pay. Yeah its discretionary but its never stated what the actual process or where to, for lowering/reducing it, plus the rest of detailed explanation is in the FAQ, doing a ping pong. Whomever is the mastermind that legally pulled this off, deserves a raise or promotion - because it closed one of the biggest loopholes in the contract!

And super scary part? The other cruise lines might just apply it to themselves, with variations because the setup/premise is that simple...[emoji15]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

And super scary part? The other cruise lines might just apply it to themselves, with variations because the setup/premise is that simple...[emoji15]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Didn't some of the other cruise line raise their daily gratuity rate & drink gratuity to 18% after NCL did ;)

I thought every country had different tax systems.

Tips are certainly taxed n the USA.

Can you name what country they aren't taxed in.

From other discussions on CC, apparently the Philippines and other countries that contribute a significant part of cruise ships' hotel staff. I don't have a source other than what I've read.

Certainly we're not discussing the US for the most part.

Edit: Someone posted a quote from BruceMuzz upthread. I trust his statements on this and other relevant matters.

Edited by Underwatr

Thanks to the free market and competition, you don't have to sail with NCL if you don't like this policy.

I have given up on them because they charge for a number of things that all the other cruise lines include in the price.

Just another example of how they are FEE Style, not Free Style.

This "lastly" seems to clearly express your real motivation: "the extra 2 to 3 hundred dollars for tips means a lot". I understand completely: you feel the money belongs in your pocket and not in the pockets of the people who served you EVEN THOUGH IT IS MADE VERY CLEAR TO YOU THAT SUCH MONEY IS PART OF THE COMPENSATION THEY EXPECT AND DESERVE - and should only be withheld for valid reasons.

I'm sorry you do not like being called a cheapskate, but ...