NCL stirs up the gratuity game

SantaFeFan

Why not complain that the cruise line does not enter line items for every other

type of DISCRETIONARY additional cost? Say: BEER, WINE, MIXED DRINKS; and ART PURCHASES; and SOUVENIRS; and LAUNDRY/DRY CLEANING; and INTERNET.

These are all items which may, OR MAY NOT, add to the cost the passenger must be prepared to pay. Because the passenger has the ability to remove the DSC, it is no more a CERTAIN cost factor than any other discretionary expense.

How far must the line go to protect the feckless from their laziness? Anyone spending many hundreds, or thousands, on a cruise who does not do enough homework to find out what he is, or is not, buying.

By your rationale, car dealers should advise purchasers of tire replacement costs, oil change expenses, and why not reasonably anticipated parking fees?

Calm down dude, I wasn't complaining at all just provided a suggestion to handle the complaint that others were discussing concerning gratuities.

• 4 months later...
How would people feel if every restaurant they went to automatically added 20% to the bill but told people to fill out a form, mail it in and they will get back to them with their adjustment in 4-6 weeks if they are unhappy with the service?

NCL's policy is yet another attempt to make something "voluntary" based on the individual's satisfaction of service "mandatory."

NCL is partly doing this because they know that those who don't go to their pay-extra restaurants and instead choose to eat in the dining rooms that are included in the fare frequently wait up to 45 minutes for a table, get upset and maybe even hold someone accountable for this horrible service. Or maybe they are upset when they realize the waiter service is much inferior on NCL because the tips are not able to be contested.

It is not surprising that the one cruise line owned by a private equity firm founded by former Drexel Burnham people is also the most arrogant cruise line.

I'm done with Fee Style, I mean Free Style NCL.

I agree, sorry but I never have tipped the maintenance man at a hotel, and he is part of my experience.

Let me begin by saying that I am sailing on NCL next month, after vowing never to do so after a bad trip in Hawaii (multiple reasons). Just doing so since they are now in a local port and thought I would give a second chance.

After seeing that the fees are mandatory, and can't be removed or adjusted. Along with attitude from customer service after booking the trip, this will most likely be my last time on NCL unless the cruise proves far superior to Princess or Holland. Which I doubt since it is a mid level cruise line.

I have sailed with several lines since daily fees came into vogue, and have been able to adjust or remove from my account. When I have sailed, I generally just pay the fees. The only time I really did an adjustment was on the NCL cruise in Hawaii, the room steward was really that bad.

My sweetheart doesn't like these fees, and he is a good tipper (Room Steward over $50 for two ppl at beginning of cruise, NCL's breakdown is $3 and change daily for the steward, Dining room staff well over $100 w/ $20 a night just for the main waiter given each night).

We are going on an NCL trip next month, and although aware of the daily fee, was not aware that we could not remove or adjust them. In fact, NCL states you can request a refund, what is not said is that you must first complain about the service to make sure it is corrected. I was also advised, its a total refund of the fees. So if my waiter is great, but the room steward stinks, my waiter will get stiffed in the long run. Fair isn't it.

Edited by Cherrock