Boarding ship with filled syringes? Please help

QTPieRye

I recently began taking medication via injection that requires refrigeration and I am cruising 3 times in the next 3 months.... 2 local and 1 flying to San Juan Puerto Rico. What steps do I need to insure my medicine makes it through the security check-point both at the cruise port and airport? Do I need to have this noted on my booking? Is it okay to travel with the syringes filled and a copy of my doctor's rx? My thought process with that is I would rather not bring the bottle itself and take a risk of it going bad. I have a needle cutter, so I do not need a sharps container. Thanks in advance.

I recently began taking medication via injection that requires refrigeration and I am cruising 3 times in the next 3 months.... 2 local and 1 flying to San Juan Puerto Rico. What steps do I need to insure my medicine makes it through the security check-point both at the cruise port and airport? Do I need to have this noted on my booking? Is it okay to travel with the syringes filled and a copy of my doctor's rx? My thought process with that is I would rather not bring the bottle itself and take a risk of it going bad. I have a needle cutter, so I do not need a sharps container. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You don't say what the injectable medication is for which can make a difference to the refrigeration needs. Assuming it's for diabetes, most insulin doesn't need to have special fridges, the ones in the cabin will be OK.

Going through security is straightforward as it is very common for the security to come across travelers with liquids as injections, I always put them in plastic see through bags that you carry, as they are medicine they don't count towards the liquid allowance. It is good practice to carry a doctors letter or the prescription, though not necessary.

Needle cutters are a good idea, I use one myself but you will still need a sharps container which your cabin attendant will be able to supply.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Per the FAA Regulations

If the syringes do not come pre-filled by the pharmaceutical company you CANNOT take it upon yourself to pre-fill the syringes to eliminate bringing the vial of medication

If the syringes are not pre-filled by the pharmaceutical company passengers may board with medications with syringe delivery systems ONLY if they can produce a vial of containing the actual medication with a professional, pharmaceutical pre-printed label, which clearly identifies the medication. No exceptions will be made.

Since the prescription label is on the outside of the box containing the vial of insulin, the FAA recommends that passengers refrain from discarding their insulin box and come prepared with their vial of insulin in its original pharmaceutically labeled box

the medication I use when I travel comes in syringes. I put the syringes in a clear ziplock bag with the portion of the box that had the Rx on it . When traveling through security I pull the bag of medication out and put it in clear view in the bin with the Rx in view and I pass through security with everyone else. It hasn't been a problem for me.

If your syringes don't come filled you should plan on bringing the vial and box it came in ( you can flatten the box so it is less bulky but Rx can still be clearly seen).

Edited by Shelly97060

We've never been asked a thing about personal carryon contents when boarding the ship.

At the airport, we prefer not to display our meds, which includes empty needle/syringe combos and tiny vials of the medication.

Back when some of the searches were just starting, and everyone was more nervous and less accustomed to all of the procedures, I used to state that one carryon had medication, and I preferred a private screening.

(All of the meds were in a few clear ziplock bags for easy inspection, except for the box of vials, which we kept intact with the Rx label attached.)

Only once did someone go through every single thing, and that time I was very glad that we always allow lots of extra time, so I could repack *everything*, and in a way that we could easily reach the things that we were most likely to need on board.

Most of the time back then, they just poked around a bit, and often swabbed a few things, and sent us along.

There were always two of them, which was wise, but it sometimes took a longer time for two TSA agents to show up.

More recently, we just put a few things like small liquids/gels (nail polish, toothpaste, etc.) in the one-quart ziplock, and those go on the tray.

The larger ziplocks of various meds are in a single carryon that one of us always holds or watches directly. Valuables can be replaced (or not), but losing these meds could cause *real* problems!

One of us goes through security first, then "the bag", which is caught by the first person, and then the other of us goes through.

For a while, they'd stop the conveyor belt, and ask who the owner was, and one of us would step forward. Usually, a quick peek inside right there was okay, but if the TSA agent wanted to do more, then it was back to a "private screening room please".

However, for a few years now, that same bag, with almost identical contents, has just gone right through, no questions asked.

Our guess is that the screening images are more precise, and they can identify everything (?).

(There are no liquids other than a few tiny vials, which don't even add up to the max allowed for a single carryon "liquid" container.)

Well... everything has gone "right through" except the time I forgot to remove my bottle of Diet Coke :o

I felt really foolish.

By the way, for each of the Rx pills that come in larger quantities in large bottles, we ask the local pharmacy to prepare the smallest size bottle needed for an 'x' day supply, and put a regular Rx label on it. And we always include extra days in the count, in case of delays.

And as mentioned above, in addition to the full Rx labeling, we also carry physician letters stating what the medication is, and that there is a medical need. We've never been asked to produce those letters, however.

GeezerCouple

I cruised while taking injectable meds, but the syringes weren't prefilled. I just had it in my carry on, in the vial and tons of needles and syringes. I used a large needle to draw up the meds and a thinner needle to inject, so I had lots of sharps. Was t any problem, didn't take it out in security and no one checked. I also had a letter from my doctor indicating I needed to travel with needles but I didn't need it. I asked for a sharps container on board to dispose the needles, wasn't any problem.

I have a special carry bag with ice packs in it for my meds. The syringe and needles and drugs are all in there. Looks like a little lunch bag. Inside the bag is a letter from my doctor. I travel a lot and only once has that bag ever caused any questions. The TSA guy asked me if there were needles in there and I said yes. He dropped it like a hot potato and whisked it on through. The bag also keeps the meds cold for a good 24 hours.

Your cabin steward will provide you with a cute little sharps container and there will be sharps boxes in the handicapped restrooms. If your cabin doesn't have a fridge, your steward will store your meds for you and bring them when you need them.

DW has to inject with Humira anti tnf this comes prepacked in a shot pen. We carry it in a Frio cold bag ( water evaporation method ) It must not pass through any form of scanner, Xray or other. We have a covering letter clearly stating this but still sometimes have to go through a bit of a grilling.

I do the same as a previous poster; I use a pre-filled syringe once a week, and have a small, sort of soft lunch bag w/ice pack. I have it with me when I check in, and security asks what it is sometimes, and sometimes, not. I carry a description, etc., just in case, but I never had a problem. The cabin steward is glad to provide ice, but I just sit it in the refrigerator in the small clear plastic bag, unopened until I need to use it.