"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

Maybe this is the big announcement? press release mentions 3 Celebrity ships along with the Royal ships:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-sails-into-the-future-with-intelligent-technology-from-insight-2015-10-07

BORING and not amazing by any means as far as I'm concerned. Will it make me book more cruises on those ships - NO. I couldn't care less.

Faster, reliable internet for me means more opportunity to leave home and cruise.

I'm all for it.

I actually now schedule trips around my bi-weekly payrolls, and verify ports we visit will have reliable internet on a Monday or Tuesday. So It limits my options.

Some say delegate payroll, but I'm a small business, and don't care to let any of my employees know the payrates of other employees. My business partner is computer illiterate, but runs the business well, but can't deal with payroll, we make a perfect pairing to compliment each other, as I care not to deal with my customers LOL.

This week, I finally got my very last employee on Direct deposit, so at least I don't have to be so concerned about the mailing of checks as I once was. I can just email the paystubs now.

Faster, reliable internet for me means more opportunity to leave home and cruise.

Pesonally I think you are in the minority with that. I have to be physically at work to do my job. It doesn't matter how much, how fast and what type of internet, etc. they use. Same with my husband. So we don't need to connect on vacation for that.

We only like it to be able to contact our son who lives in LA but the 240 free internet minutes we both get is more than enough for that. I did not even use all mine on our last 2 week cruise on Summit. Think I had 80 minutes or so left.

Edited by CruisingChick

Pesonally I think you are in the minority with that. I have to be physically at work to do my job. It doesn't matter how much, how fast and what type of internet, etc. they use. Same with my husband. So we don't need to connect on vacation for that.

We only like it to be able to contact our son who lives in LA but the 240 free internet minutes we both get is more than enough for that. I did not even use all mine on our last 2 week cruise on Summit. Think I had 80 minutes or so left.

Don't be so sure, and times are a changing. If it's not the majority yet who want to connect, it certainly will be eventually. There are so many reasons why, even for operation and safety of the ship why faster internet is better.

It's your choice though, no one forces anyone to connect and why not get that communication with your son done faster, or in my case, work I have to do for the day done faster, and be back to a disconnected vacation?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Don't be so sure, and times are a changing. If it's not the majority yet who want to connect, it certainly will be eventually. There are so many reasons why, even for operation and safety of the ship why faster internet is better.

It's your choice though, no one forces anyone to connect and why not get that communication with your son done faster, or in my case, work I have to do for the day done faster, and be back to a disconnected vacation?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have to say in my past 4 or 5 Celebrity cruises I have had no problems at all connecting with my device to Wi-Fi. It's fast enough for what I need. Even uploaded pictures I took, etc.

While it's fine they are updating/upgrading the ships, I don't find the news "AMAZING" which was the word used in the title of this thread.

I have to say in my past 4 or 5 Celebrity cruises I have had no problems at all connecting with my device to Wi-Fi. It's fast enough for what I need. Even uploaded pictures I took, etc.

While it's fine they are updating/upgrading the ships, I don't find the news "AMAZING" which was the word used in the title of this thread.

I agree. Interesting touches perhaps, but not a driver to book more cruises.

I doubt that is the news anyway, that was a press release by Insight, not Celebrity.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I agree. Interesting touches perhaps, but not a driver to book more cruises.

I would say its unlikely anyone will decide to NOT sail because the enhancements are happening.

I know for me I will book 2 or 2 more each year, if I can get reliable connection.

So at least 1 or 2 extra cabins per year can be considered driven to book by this enhancement, if only from me. And I have friends I haven't been able to convince to cruise as they are just not into the awful expensive internet whilee away. My generation and friends needs contact with our businesses. Internet, now let me convince tome to come.

Edited by cle-guy

Just because it was fast enough for you, does not mean that'd be the case for others.

As already said, the clientele that is really interested of - or even in actual need of - more reliable and faster internet connection is definitely growing and will outnumber passengers like you. This is apparent also in the recent pricing decisions made by Carnival and Royal Caribbean, both of which decreased the internet pricing this summer in order to make cruising more attractive to new, younger passengers.

Unfortunately NCL is doing the exact opposite, they just raised the internet prices up to 55%. Combined with these news my decision of leaving NCL in favor of X is much easier.

Edited by Demonyte

As already said, the clientele that is really interested of - or even in actual need of - more reliable and faster internet connection is definitely growing and will outnumber passengers like you. This is apparent also in the recent pricing decisions made by Carnival and Royal Caribbean, both of which decreased the internet pricing this summer in order to make cruising more attractive to new, younger passengers.

You are so right. This is factually borne out by the fact that RCL on their investor call for Q2 numbers actually found that internet spending is a large enough number to watch separately in the financials where it used to me a small miscellaneous number not worth thinking about, and the success on Quantum has made them make the decision to move forward quickly to spread it.

Someone is paying for it in numbers enough to make it a financial priority.

You have to remember that cle-guy is a stockholder, & more interested in an enhancement that will possibly spur more bookings, & not something that the average cruiser would find "amazing". His point of view is mostly geared to what is best for the company, not necessarily the guests. if they sell more staterooms, that's amazing.

You have to remember that cle-guy is a stockholder, & more interested in an enhancement that will possibly spur more bookings, & not something that the average cruiser would find "amazing". His point of view is mostly geared to what is best for the company, not necessarily the guests. if they sell more staterooms, that's amazing.

If I have fast reliable internet in the middle of an ocean, I also think that is amazing, and good for guests.

Certainly the addition of fast reliable internet is not a detriment to any guest.

This is one of those thing that adds value to some without removing value from others. A win-win.

If I have fast reliable internet in the middle of an ocean, I also think that is amazing, and good for guests.

Certainly the addition of fast reliable internet is not a detriment to any guest.

This is one of those thing that adds value to some without removing value from others. A win-win.

Not necessarily a win-win for the cruisers but it is for the cruise line. Costs of this internet are outrageous. I am happy not to use the internet or especially phones on a cruise. Definitely happy the wife doesn't use the phone.

If I could talk the wife into it, I would take more cruises just to not have phones or internet.

Edited by dkjretired

Not necessarily a win-win for the cruisers but it is for the cruise line. Costs of this internet are outrageous. I am happy not to use the internet or especially phones on a cruise. .

It's $15 a day on RCL - expecting it will be similar when role out, as RCL found HUGE takeup once cost came down. I've been at some Marriott hotels that charge $19.95 a day, so $15 isn't outrageous to me.

What about it makes it a lose to any of the cruisers? :confused:

Just off RCL Brilliance and next cruise could not even get a decent download to check availability and pricing. Reminded me of 300baud dial up.

That's whats so awesome about the new service coming, it's really at traditional land based speeds.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf

Interesting, it won't work on TA's or Repo's, which I guess makes sense based on satellite positioning....

Fast internet is so much more than email and work.

I think it would be really nice to be able to communicate on the ship using chat, upload photos and videos automatically to cloud storage, make unlimited VoIP phone calls, receive alerts, control home automation and security, access unlimited music,books and video streaming, read cruise critic, the list goes on and on.

When the wifi gets to where it needs to be it could be good for profits as well

Sail and sign could be on your phone. Just tap your phone to the reader and it goes right on your bill with the receipt sent instantly to your smartphone. How about an app that lets you book specialty restaurants, order room service, drinks by the pool, excursions?

I understand some people do not like technology but more and more people are starting to expect higher levels of connectivity and automation.

For all this to work on a ship at sea actually is pretty amazing :)

I would love to pay $15 or $20/day for reasonably functional connectivity on my upcoming Eclipse sailing. Right now they are offering to sell it to me for $60/day, which is just not happening. I paid about $28/day on NCL.

For those who like to feel superior for being cut off from the world on vacation, congratulations, and no one will be taking that away from you.

For our last several cruises once we reached elite the total 3 hours of internet time has been more than enough for a quick check with our house sitters or to get our boarding passes if we aren't using luggage valet. When we are on vacation we are lucky enough to be just that, on vacation. We find plenty of time to communicate socially via cell phone from ports of call if needed.

I am not sure but at times I wish we could work while on a cruise as we would spend a lot more time at sea, not sure

bosco

Not sure why nobody else has picked up on this... Joe Farcus is coming out of retirement and is going to do a "Farcusize" on the M class of ships.(kind of like Solticeize but more emphasis on the Farcus) So puts to rest your guess on Voom and new speciality dining I have it from a good source that Joe Fracus is coming to Celebrity.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

High speed internet is not a WOW for us. We were on a 2 week cruise with 240 minutes each and disembarked with about 125 unused minutes. Ho Hum.

I do understand how important it would be for cruisers who have to take a working vacation.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU