How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

I will not cruise NCL again - tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. I just read this for the 3rd time this week.

We are late 40's - two daughters 26 and 11 years old. They always travel with us. We have been on 50+ cruises with all major lines. We have been on all types of ships from Carnival Imagination to RCCL Oasis and Allure. We always travel on a budget and are careful with our spending. I think all cruise lines have begun to charge additional amounts for items that used to be complimentary. We were recently on the Getaway and I know NCL started charging for room service. Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Just for reference, I looked up a 1999, 6-night cruise we took on the imagination(16 years ago). It was $584 per person. A comparable cruise today for the same week is within a few dollars. Just my opinion, but I think cruising remains to be a tremendous value.

I rarely start new posts - but I'm just curious to see what people think.

Edited by #1TravelMom
punctuation

Aggressive upselling is now a fact of life on all popularly-priced cruise lines.

My recent experience is that Royal Caribbean (and even Celebrity) does so more egregiously than NCL. But NCL likely has the most "opportunities" simply due to the sheer numbers of dining and entertainment events that carry a charge under the guise of the "freestyle cruising" experience. But I never felt obligated or pressured to attend any.

The only thing that truly rankled me on my Norwegian Star cruise two years ago was how limited the MDR menus were. The cynic in me quickly conluded that this was a ploy to get me to spring for the specialty restaurants more often than I would normally be inclined to. So we did so for three of eleven nights onboard. And in retrospect do not feel taken advantage of or "nickel and dimed" at all. It was our decision and the right decision--if anything we should have gone more.

Now many NCL passengers automatically include the dining package (or one of the drink packages) in their cruise budget from the planning stage, or only book when they are included in the promotion. That avoids the nickel-and-dime feeling. But the popularity of the dining package--which NCL brought on itself--has led NCL to be the first line to add a mandatory gratuity to specialty dining. I can understand how many would consider that gouging (even though I left an extra tip before it was mandatory).

I will not cruise NCL again - tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. I just read this for the 3rd time this week.

We are late 40's - two daughters 26 and 11 years old. They always travel with us. We have been on 50+ cruises with all major lines. We have been on all types of ships from Carnival Imagination to RCCL Oasis and Allure. We always travel on a budget and are careful with our spending. I think all cruise lines have begun to charge additional amounts for items that used to be complimentary. We were recently on the Getaway and I know NCL started charging for room service. Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Just for reference, I looked up a 1999, 6-night cruise we took on the imagination(16 years ago). It was $584 per person. A comparable cruise today for the same week is within a few dollars. Just my opinion, but I think cruising remains to be a tremendous value.

Changing some of the Specialty restaurants, such as Cagneys. to a la carte pricing, is a deal breaker. We cruise inside cabins so UDP is not included.

That $7.95 room service fee really hurts us. We do cruises with lots of sea days and have always enjoyed ordering a sandwich or snacks while we relax in our cabin watching tv or reading. We are not going to pay $7.95 for that!

And the complimentary continental breakfast no longer includes fruit or yogurt.

It is just pastry, coffee, juice.

I think people who hates /dislike a cruise line (could be NCL or any cruise line) are always going to rant, rave, badmouth, and foam at the mouth, how this line nickels & dimes them to death. Most of the lines nickel & dime from soda to tips/service charge - pick a line or 2, that gives you mostly everything included you value for your money. And if a line changes policies / management /course/etc; either 1)make the most of a 'bad' situation by revising budget or plans if it happens with such short notice before the actual trip ~or~ 2) if have plenty of time, switch lines.

That's the beauty of cruising, when one line is "bad" or "nickel&dimes too much" - there's always another cruise line or 2 that will quickly replace that one. Say your piece about how you dislike it and then move on -no point in dwelling /posting repeatly how crummy a line is especially if one is claiming they are never going to sail it again. Because continuing to bad-mouthing about something doesn't necessarily mean it make that object/company/person look bad - it just makes the person who badmouthing constantly, look like they have mental issues and/or don't know how to let it go....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

the fact is that my first cruise in 1985 cost more than my cruise last year - and that is without inflation figured in! They have to make up the revenue somehow, and at least now I get to choose the extras I want to pay for.

I sailed on NCL in April 2015 with my two children (12, 2) this was our first cruise ever. (1) Prior to our sail date I tried to book Cagney’s(specialty Steakhouse) online and was told that it was "sold out" As soon as we boarded the ship there were tables out offering the UDP, souvenir cups, and Reservation to the specialty restaurants. I made a reservation for that night for Cagney’s (I was told as long as the kids ate from the kids menu their meals were free) however the kids were full from the sail away bbq. I tried to cancel, only to be told there was a 24 hours cancellation policy, why didn't the woman who made the reservation tell me about the cancellation policy? (2) They were walking around selling bingo cards and deal or no deal cards, I had no idea that you had to play, I thought it was just entertainment that everyone could enjoy it rained a few days and unless you paid to play a game you were left to entertain yourself. (3) They were quite aggressive with the picture taking even though I would say no thank you. (4) Even though I had the UDP ( it was included with our booking) I was still being charged for drinks; I finally asked at the service desk how the UDP worked and was told I needed to specify that I did not want a “top shelf" drink. (I don't drink much so I asked for them to explain) apparently brand named liquor cost more. (5) If you didn’t return the pool towels to your room, there was a 20.00 charge per towel. (6) On the last night I needed to use the internet to check our return flight. I opted in the pay-per-minute internet usage in their computer lounge. The connection as super slow and I was never able to get the web browser open at all. They charged me $68.00 (the pay-per-minute) and a registration fee to use the internet. (7) They charged $$ to use the Hippo slide (a water slide) on Great Stirrup Cay

In spite of all the sticker shock we had a really good time. As a new cruiser I have to admit I thought everything was really “all inclusive”, despite my research I had no idea how much was considered an “add on”. Now I know what to expect and will be better prepared with we sail again in March 2016.

Aggressive upselling is now a fact of life on all popularly-priced cruise lines.

My recent experience is that Royal Caribbean (and even Celebrity) does so more egregiously than NCL. But NCL likely has the most "opportunities" simply due to the sheer numbers of dining and entertainment events that carry a charge under the guise of the "freestyle cruising" experience. But I never felt obligated or pressured to attend any.

The only thing that truly rankled me on my Norwegian Star cruise two years ago was how limited the MDR menus were. The cynic in me quickly conluded that this was a ploy to get me to spring for the specialty restaurants more often than I would normally be inclined to. So we did so for three of eleven nights onboard. And in retrospect do not feel taken advantage of or "nickel and dimed" at all. It was our decision and the right decision--if anything we should have gone more.

Now many NCL passengers automatically include the dining package (or one of the drink packages) in their cruise budget from the planning stage, or only book when they are included in the promotion. That avoids the nickel-and-dime feeling. But the popularity of the dining package--which NCL brought on itself--has led NCL to be the first line to add a mandatory gratuity to specialty dining. I can understand how many would consider that gouging (even though I left an extra tip before it was mandatory).

Quality-wise, NCL's MDR menus have been up and down over the years. Most recently they are up again. We took a family group cruise on NCL in Aug. People that routinely cruise HAL, Princess and X said NCL was as good or better.

On NCL, many things that are included on other lines are extra cost. Room service, is one. Most other lines it is free, or only a nominal charge after midnight or for certain items. And if they do, it certainly is not the relatively high $7.95 that NCL charges. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6277

Ala carte dining in specialty restaurants is another. Where in specialty restaurants on other lines you can order anything on the menu, and as much as you want, for only one price, with NCL you now pay for every item in most of their restaurants. If you want a second helping, you pay for it again. Of course, if you are willing to pay for the extra cost premium dining package, then those meals won't be ala carte since you have already paid a premium price for them. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6443

Gratuities is another. They raised the daily charges twice in just a few months. NCL gratuities are now more than on most other lines. Plus, now they require a person to contact NCL after the cruise for a refund. No removing gratuities during the cruise, for any reason. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6449

There are more examples, but these three are the most noticeable.

Considering that NCL is a 'budget' cruise line - and certainly feels like one - they need to make their profits from the extra charges they are now implementing. It's one of those "you get only what you paid for" experiences. Now you have to pay more for the better experiences. Looks like nickel and diming to me. "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....." You know the rest of the phrase.

Edited by sloopsailor

Simple rule of thumb: The more you see a cruiseline advertising on the basis of price, the more they will be dependent on auxiliary revenue. They are competing on how low priced their base cruise is - margins are to the limit. So profit has to come elsewhere.

Compare/contrast an NCL ad with one from Seabourn. Class dismissed.

Ala carte dining in specialty restaurants is another. Where in specialty restaurants on other lines you can order anything on the menu, and as much as you want, for only one price, with NCL you now pay for every item in most of their restaurants. If you want a second helping, you pay for it again. Of course, if you are willing to pay for the extra cost premium dining package, then those meals won't be ala carte since you have already paid a premium price for them. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6443

Specialty restaurants are not all you can eat on other cruise lines. They will usually let you get additional starters and desserts, but you will get charged if you get more than one entrée.

ALL of the cruise lines do this now...specialty restaurants, cabanas, special "classes", etc....only your basic transport is included, nowadays! NO ONE is forced to partake of any of the optional stuff...ever!

Edited by cb at sea

On NCL, many things that are included on other lines are extra cost. Room service, is one. Most other lines it is free, or only a nominal charge after midnight or for certain items. And if they do, it certainly is not the relatively high $7.95 that NCL charges. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6277

Gratuities is another. They raised the daily charges twice in just a few months. NCL gratuities are now more than on most other lines. Plus, now they require a person to contact NCL after the cruise for a refund. No removing gratuities during the cruise, for any reason. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6449

There are more examples, but these three are the most noticeable.

Considering that NCL is a 'budget' cruise line - and certainly feels like one - they need to make their profits from the extra charges they are now implementing. It's one of those "you get only what you paid for" experiences. Now you have to pay more for the better experiences. Looks like nickel and diming to me. "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....." You know the rest of the phrase.

I really love the no removing the service charge while on board. I hope that one catches on. :)

Specialty restaurants are not all you can eat on other cruise lines. They will usually let you get additional starters and desserts, but you will get charged if you get more than one entrée.

On the cruise lines I favor I have never had a problem asking for another main course if the one I asked for wasn't to my liking. In fact, the waiter even suggested I do exactly that when I mentioned trying something, but wasn't sure about liking it. Never been charged. Heck, on one occasion I even liked the main course I ordered so much that I asked for another in lieu of dessert. No problem with that, either.

You have corrected the other poster's allegedly "incorrect" information with incorrect information. Ironic, isn't it? ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

ALL of the cruise lines do this now...specialty restaurants, cabanas, special "classes", etc....only your basic transport is included, nowadays! NO ONE is forced to partake of any of the optional stuff...ever!

"Basic" transportation? More accurately, much more than "basic" transport is included with the base fare. And that transport is much, much better than "basic". It's a beautifully decorated ship, with entertainment, virtually 24 hour availability of tasty and enjoyable foods, beverages such as coffee, milk, and juices. Plus a comfortable room to sleep in - with private shower and toilet, even! All included at no extra cost.

Nothing basic about this transportation. 'Basic' is more like a ferry boat ride, not a gorgeous cruise ship you live on for days or weeks.

But, you are certainly right about no one being forced to purchase anything more than the "basic" cruise. A person could have a very enjoyable vacation without spending a single dime on extras.

Edited by sloopsailor

They don't.

If that many people died on a cruise ship, it would make the national news.

Clearly, nobody is getting nickel and dimed to death.

And how would a person die from being nickle and dimed anyway? Are they pelted with coins similar to being stoned? Are they buried under a mound of coins until they suffocate? Are they force fed coins until they choke?

I wish someone would describe how such a death would actually occur. :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

I sailed Princess and Celebrity about 5 or 6 times, years ago. I sailed RCI once and Carnival (sort of). I have sailed HAL over 80 cruises.

This summer, for a variety of reasons, I sailed NCL for the first time. The experience far exceeded my expectations. I found the ship more comfortable than I envisioned, the service very good, the food good to very good in most venues, excellent cabin and dining stewards, decorating was really my taste but the ship was clean.

I never felt I was being nagged to purchase, spend, or in any way nagged to leave more money aboard. Maybe I was able to tune it out or ignore it but I truly did not feel obliged to tip over the auto-billed tips, though I almost always wrote an added tip on all beverage tabs and when we signed a slip for an alternative restaurant, I always added a tip but that was my choice.

I grant that it made a difference that I was a solo in a Penthouse cabin but nevertheless I was as satisfied with my cabin accommodation/service on NCL as I am in my suites on HAL.

I never thought I would be as satisfied with that cruise as I was.

Edited by sail7seas

Changing some of the Specialty restaurants, such as Cagneys. to a la carte pricing, is a deal breaker. We cruise inside cabins so UDP is not included.

That $7.95 room service fee really hurts us. We do cruises with lots of sea days and have always enjoyed ordering a sandwich or snacks while we relax in our cabin watching tv or reading. We are not going to pay $7.95 for that!

And the complimentary continental breakfast no longer includes fruit or yogurt.

It is just pastry, coffee, juice.

Would you rather pay a higher fare?

I'm not trying to be a smart mouth but I am sure you have noticed your weekly grocery bill probably costs you more today than 5 years ago. Have you noticed the price of a box of cereal or eggs etc?

Just about everything I buy for my home is higher cost and the cruise lines are for profit businesses. There is nothing free. If you don't wish to pay for Room Service Delivery fee, go get the food yourself in the buffet or whatever other restaurants remain open. You can bring it back to your cabin to relax and read/watch tv.

If you don't want to pay for alternative restaurants, don't. Eat in the ones included in the fare.

NCL offers FREE booking bonuses in several forms, but when you accept the FREE promotion, they bill you a service charge for using your FREE choice. That is nickel and diming in its purest form.

Wow haven't come across this one, so free means something other than free.

NCL offers FREE booking bonuses in several forms, but when you accept the FREE promotion, they bill you a service charge for using your FREE choice. That is nickel and diming in its purest form.

You mean the 18% auto service charge for the soda / Ultimate Beverage / Specialty dining package? Which is explained in the Term & Conditions when you pick one those options, forgetting the fact that there's also a shore excursion credit and Wifi package choices as one of the promos too. (I picked the $50 shore excursion for one of my trips next year before the current promo, it was the same fare price when I booked it compare to other 2 weeks that was originally 'dirt cheap' to begin with - I'm not a heavy drinker or eater; plus personal phone is staying off til port, so no wifi.)

Edited by maywell

That's not exactly accurate especially given you didn't consider the OBC I got with my 'free' Unlimited Dining and Beverages Packages, pre-paid automatically charged tips and OBC. The OBC far, far, far more than covered any service charge. There was one on beverages but I don't think we had one on alternative dining.

You mean the 18% autoservice charge for the soda / Ultimate Beverage / Specialty dining package? Which is explained in the Term & Conditions when you pick one those options, forgetting the fact that there's also a shore excursion credit and Wifi package choices as one of the promos too. (I picked the $50 shore excursion for one of my trips next year - I'm not a heavy drinker or eater; plus personal phone is staying off til port, so no wifi.)

It doesn't matter how they apply the charge. The ads say it is FREE !!!