Letting table mates know you won't be at dinner

Luv my furbaby

When you have traditional dining, do you let your table mates or waiters know you will not be at dinner? On my last cruise, I missed 2 evenings in a row. One night just didn't feel like going and the next the mystery dinner theater. When I returned I got a comment from the waiter about where I was. No, not complaining at all that he asked. Just curious what others do? I think this time I will tell the waiter that to please not wait for me.

I suppose that answer depends on your table mates. If they're pretty decent people and you all hit it off on the first night, then absolutely let them know that you won't be there some nights and who knows, your plans might be something they'd like to do as well.

On the other hand if your table mates are a little odd/scary/weird/nasty, I would ask to be moved as far away as possible, and no I wouldn't say anything to them, who knows they may try to follow you.

For your waiter, you don't "have" to let them know but my waiters are very important to me and I want to be as nice to them as possible I think their tips remain the same whether you are there or not.

When you have traditional dining, do you let your table mates or waiters know you will not be at dinner? On my last cruise, I missed 2 evenings in a row. One night just didn't feel like going and the next the mystery dinner theater. When I returned I got a comment from the waiter about where I was. No, not complaining at all that he asked. Just curious what others do? I think this time I will tell the waiter that to please not wait for me.

quire rude to not inform them ahead of time especially if you KNOW you will not be there.

I always tell my waiter and table mates that I plan on eating someplace else. .

For your waiter, you don't "have" to let them know but my waiters are very important to me and I want to be as nice to them as possible .

Its always nice to inform the Waiter that You are dining elsewhere.

As mentioned, others can go ahead and order Dinner.

What a nice thing to say, that the Waiters are important to You.

Thanks

We don't inform the waiter or anyone else of our plans for convenience and security, unless we know our table mates very well.

Curious to know why you might consider this a "security" concern ?

IF you know in advance, it's nice to tell your tablemates or waiter...but, if it's a last minute thing...there's no need to inform anyone.

Agree with the above.

Also a reason we like MTD better because we mostly have dinner in a specialty restaurant so hate taking up a space someone else wants in TD.

LuLu

When you have traditional dining, do you let your table mates or waiters know you will not be at dinner? On my last cruise, I missed 2 evenings in a row. One night just didn't feel like going and the next the mystery dinner theater. When Id returned I got a comment from the waiter about where I was. No, not complaining at all that he asked. Just curious what others do? I think this time I will tell the waiter that to please not wait for me.

If I know a head of time I will let them know. On our last cruise we came in late from an excursion and another time we felt like going to the buffet so there was really no way of letting them know.

We don't inform the waiter or anyone else of our plans for convenience and security, unless we know our table mates very well.
I can't imagine any circumstance in which telling people you won't be coming to the MDR could be inconvenient or dangerous. What do you think could happen?

Certainly you should let them know. If I have a specialty restaurant booked I mention it the night before. If it is a last minute decision I give the dining room a ring. Otherwise the waiter might delay taking orders in expectation that I would be coming.

It happens two or three times every cruise or more. No one ever tells anyone (because mostly they don't know themselves) and there's never a problem.

There was one night during my last crew when no one else showed at the table except me ( I was solo). Not a problem, I just had everything delivered sooner and the dinner was over about a half hour earlier.

It is easy to say to your tablemates and waiters the first night (or whatever is your first night) "I may not be here some nights for dinner" If I am not here by 6pm (or what your dining time may be), please order without me and I will see you another evening."

I am also interested in the security statement.

Security? What sort of vessels are you sailing on? I feel very safe onboard Royal Caribbean. They take our safety very seriously, and while there may be an occasional bad apple, what can they really do? You're a traveler in one of the largest communities at sea. The bad people can't really run to the next village and claim asylum, the jump would probably kill them. I know that's probably dramatizing it but you've seen those security people at the x-Ray machine after you've spent all day in Jamaica.

Point is, security should not be something to worry about on your vacation. I know it's hard not to worry but if you feel threatened or have security concerns, your FIRST objective is to let a member of the security staff know, and then, you'll keep the table you were originally assigned because your table mates are now in the brig.

During my last cruise, I told my waiters and tablemates the times my group wouldn't be at dinner. It so happens that none of us would be at dinner that particular night (late evening in Aruba), so I'm glad we let them know. I think it's a courtesy thing to do, just so they aren't waiting on you to start taking orders.

Security? What sort of vessels are you sailing on? I feel very safe onboard Royal Caribbean. They take our safety very seriously, and while there may be an occasional bad apple, what can they really do? You're a traveler in one of the largest communities at sea. The bad people can't really run to the next village and claim asylum, the jump would probably kill them. I know that's probably dramatizing it but you've seen those security people at the x-Ray machine after you've spent all day in Jamaica.

Point is, security should not be something to worry about on your vacation. I know it's hard not to worry but if you feel threatened or have security concerns, your FIRST objective is to let a member of the security staff know, and then, you'll keep the table you were originally assigned because your table mates are now in the brig.

There are criminals on cruise ships and they like to know their victim's routine. Google and you will find some very serious incidents. Enjoy your cruise, but take sensible precautions.

There are criminals on cruise ships and they like to know their victim's routine. Google and you will find some very serious incidents. Enjoy your cruise, but take sensible precautions.

Now I'm even more curious. Assuming that one of my table mates is a criminal, how is my security compromised if this criminal knows that I will be eating in a different restaurant one night?