When do you feel your vacation has started?

TBone2K

Though I get a frisson of excitement when I arrive home from the last day of work, I only start to relax into vacation mode once I've actually arrived at the port city. If we're staying there a bit, then I'm on vacation until we have to actually get to and on the ship. I get out of vacation mode for that schlep and stress. Then true vacation mode begins again once I've unpacked and done the muster. The first drink starts the process, but I can't truly relax until I've put everything away and we're released from muster.

A multitude of answers here,

Could be the end of my last shift at work, or getting the vacation mani-pedi, but I think mostly pulling into WAWA for coffee and tea for the very early ride to the airport. (Btw Wawa is our convenience store. )

But I also love that 'ping' onto the ship and the last call to the kids before going onto airplane mode for the week too.

For us it's more a mental thing than something physical - so when we are both off work for the last time before we leave for vacation. We enjoy every moment just being together, and that includes all the preparation and travel to get to the cruise ship.

But yes, the "DING!" is wonderful too. :)

Was just reading a question about muster drill and got me wondering, when do you feel your vacation has actually started? This isn't really a survey, but here are some things I have heard others say:

Get off the plane?

Hear the "bing" at checkin?

Pull away from the pier?

Have the first drink in your hand?

Get your roast beef sandwich?:)

I'm going to throw out an odd one from my own list above since I just realized this... Certain my stress level drops considerably after getting on the ship. However after muster is done is when I feel I have really started vacation, because it is the last thing you are required to do. Everything else after that is up to me.

What about the rest of you?

When I check into my hotel the night before the cruise embarks. I know the hassles are over and I can relax....

Edited by Johnamac123

We live in Florida, so we almost always drive to the ports the same day.

I don't feel like I'm on vacation until I get out of the car at the port. I know once I'm out of the car, within 30 minutes I'll be in the windjammer eating lunch :cool::D

I usually get on the ship as soon as they start letting people on. Vacation starts as soon as I finish that line up and get on the ship for my first roast beef sandwich of the week! After that I go hang out in the hot tub on the edge of the ship and any stress melts away. A couple hours later we do the drill and then it's up to the top deck for the sail away. That's the point that I'm completely in my glee!