Almaplena?

chilimixx

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been there lately? Opinions, please!

Almaplena pics on their FB are amaizing and the reviews I have read are wonderful.

Thank you.

We were not there super recently, as it was February 2015, but we absolutely loved our stay.

The resort is super isolated, and the number of non-resort guests they allow is very minimal (20 total I believe), so it never felt crowded. Honestly, our group of six were the only ones on the beach the majority of the day we were there.

Beach is beautiful, albeit very natural, and they do a great job of keeping the seaweed raked up and clear. The day we were there the water was a bit cloudy due to weather conditions, but you could still snorkel (with your own equipment) and see the bottom well. Food is out of this world good and the drinks are hand made to order. Staff was very welcoming too.

If you are looking for a nice relaxing quiet beach day, I would say book it. If you are looking for a lot of beach activities, a lively/loud beach bar, etc..., then I would look elsewhere. Children may not have the most fun here either - unless they just like swimming - as there are not a ton of toys/activities/things to occupy them. They do have free WiFi and it worked well enough to check in with folks at home.

A few in our group pre-arranged for an hour long ocean-side massage. It was extremely affordable and they all said was one of the best they had ever received.

If you are a dog person, they have (hopefully she is still there) a resident dog named Bella that is a blast to play with. She swam with me, fetched coconuts, and spent the day sleeping under our chairs.

We enjoyed our stay there so much that we have talked about planning a land-based vacation to stay there a week or more.

Dan.

Dan,

Assume you took a taxi to get there? We're there plenty of taxis available and how far from the ship is the resort?

Thanks!

Yes, we took a taxi and the fare was included in the price we paid Almaplena for our day there. You have to walk out of the port area and up the street a couple hundred yards to get to the taxi stand, but taxis were plentiful and the area was plenty safe to walk. The resort takes the taxi drivers contact information and they call the same taxi that dropped you off to come back and get you when you are ready to go. They do not pay the taxi driver until they arrive back to pick you up. At least that is how it worked the day we went.

The ride to Almaplena was probably around 20-25 minutes and my guess would be 15 miles or so. It seems like you are driving out into the middle of nowhere though - and when you arrive at the resort, you kind of are! ;)

Dan.

We were there in February as well and I agree with everything said. However, we were there two weeks ago and the recent heavy rains have stirred up the sea grass considerably. The water was dark brown and unswimmable. The staff said it had been that way for a while and has cut into their business. If you're going in the near future check with them on the beach conditions first.

Even without being able to get in the water we had a relaxing time and a delicious lunch. (And yep, Bella is still there.) We will be definitely be going back, hopefully with clearer waters.

• 1 month later...

I discovered Almaplena several years ago and it is a beautiful place. I wanted some place new that most cruisers hadn't talked about and someplace far enough from the cruise port. It was everything we wanted it to be! The couple that live there are super nice.

I have a complete review in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures. :)

• 3 months later...
How are the beach conditions here now? Has anyone been lately? I've read the conditions haven't been great at any of the beach resorts around Costa Maya. Thinking of booking for June. I'd love to hear opinions from others that have visited Almaplena.

Oh no! Sounds like this may be a concern at any of the Costa Maya beaches. If we reserve here of Maya Chan and find they have these conditions, are we able to cancel and get a refund?

Oh no! Sounds like this may be a concern at any of the Costa Maya beaches. If we reserve here of Maya Chan and find they have these conditions, are we able to cancel and get a refund?

Everyone has their own priorities, but for us, even if the seagrass was stirred up and the water was murky, we'd still book a day there without hesitation. We enjoyed it that much.

As I stated above though, it's not for everyone. There are very few activities, no island music, no party atmosphere, no pool. It's just a beautiful, peaceful and secluded resort to sit back and relax.

Dan.

• 3 weeks later...
I've added a brief review in my signature.

Great review and spot on. We love it there and can't wait to get back.

So glad to see Bella still there and in good health too.

Dan.

I've added a brief review in my signature.

Great review! I wanted to ask you about the second picture...it looks like they may have expanded their property to a little bit next door? I remember when we were there last it was all directly in front of the resort (basically in front of where the restaurant area was straight down to the water). But it looks like that pictures shows them off to the right more now (while standing and looking toward the resort). :confused:

Great review! I wanted to ask you about the second picture...it looks like they may have expanded their property to a little bit next door? I remember when we were there last it was all directly in front of the resort (basically in front of where the restaurant area was straight down to the water). But it looks like that pictures shows them off to the right more now (while standing and looking toward the resort). :confused:

That is the part of the resort where the rooms are. I think there are only eight? First priority in the lounge area there goes to people staying on the property. But we've noticed when there is a larger number of cruise passengers and fewer hotel guests they open up the loungers in the area in front of the hotel part to the cruise passengers. Compared to your pictures it looks like things have changed a bit.

(BTW, I enjoy your reviews. Think I've ready every word of all of them!)

Edited by idahospud

That is the part of the resort where the rooms are. I think there are only eight? First priority in the lounge area there goes to people staying on the property. But we've noticed when there is a larger number of cruise passengers and fewer hotel guests they open up the loungers in the area in front of the hotel part to the cruise passengers. Compared to your pictures it looks like things have changed a bit.

(BTW, I enjoy your reviews. Think I've ready every word of all of them!)

Yea, it looks like they have a lot of lush greenery now compared to when we were there. It looks very nice. :)

I contacted Almaplena Eco Beach resort through their website 4 days ago and still have not heard back from them. (Website says usual reply within 24 hrs) Anyone else had trouble getting them to respond?

Our cruise leaves on May 22nd and am wondering if I should wait or just make other plans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I contacted Almaplena Eco Beach resort through their website 4 days ago and still have not heard back from them. (Website says usual reply within 24 hrs) Anyone else had trouble getting them to respond?

Our cruise leaves on May 22nd and am wondering if I should wait or just make other plans.

I would check your junk/spam folder and if still nothing would send another request. Internet can be very spotty at times at these locations.

Yes, those are the two things I did today. [emoji3] I didn't want to have to make an international phone call... So hoping if I give it a couple more days I might hear back. They must be on "Island Time" lol.

Edited by Mrs.ToTo

sent an email for reservation but they are sold out on the day we're docking. I was put on a waiting list. resort email me back within few hours after i sent my request.:(

I received a another new email from Almaplena Resort. My family has been on a wait list for few days and is now available for us to enjoy when we dock in June...You have to pay the total amount before you receive detailed instruction on how to get there. Transportation included. 100% cancellation if ship did not dock or cancel 7 days advance. Thanks for misugirly and idahospud for your review of this place. 3 cruise ships will be docking that day that I'm looking forward to a nice quiet relaxation by the beach. See ya.

Edited by alpogi8

I received a another new email from Almaplena Resort. My family has been on a wait list for few days and is now available for us to enjoy when we dock in June...You have to pay the total amount before you receive detailed instruction on how to get there. Transportation included. 100% cancellation if ship did not dock or cancel 7 days advance. Thanks for misugirly and idahospud for your review of this place. 3 cruise ships will be docking that day that I'm looking forward to a nice quiet relaxation by the beach. See ya.

Good to hear! Let us know about the visit. Enjoy!