Missing from Ventura

amajaa

I wonder how they know where the person went missing? Ventura was two days at sea having left Gibraltar and if as people are reporting they were called to their cabins late last night or early hours of this morning, I just wondered why they are searching off IOW. They must know though, well I for one would trust they know where to look. I guess it takes longer to get into Southampton waters than you think so you are off U K earlier than you expect to be.

Edited by amajaa

I wonder how they know where the person went missing? Ventura was two days at sea having left Gibraltar and if as people are reporting they were called to their cabins late last night or early hours of this morning, I just wondered why they are searching off IOW. They must know though, well I for one would trust they know where to look. I guess it takes longer to get into Southampton waters than you think so you are off U K earlier than you expect to be.

CCTV will show the exact moment the incident occured. Time of this can be matched with ships log. A sad event.

Hi all,

Just back off Ventura after a very sad day and a sad end to the holiday. The papers are wrong, the first alert was broadcast to passangers asking for the male to contact reception at around 0315am and not 0430am.

Shortly after we were all asked to remain in our cabins (not many about at that time anyway) whilst an extensive search was carried out. The ship then turned around heading back south towards the tip of the Isle of Wight and various vessels/lifeboats and helicopters could be seen outside.

The lifeboats and Coastguard Helicopter remained with Ventura for several hours searching relentlessly until Ventura was released and it was left in the hands of the Coastguard. On our way back into Southampton we saw fresh lifeboats from the RNLI heading out towards the search area.

There are an awful lot of various, and conflicting, rumours from others who were onboard which i wont post or go into. The Captain and Crew were first class, regular announcements and swift action. Dont see there is anything else that could have been done.

Hi all,

Just back off Ventura after a very sad day and a sad end to the holiday. The papers are wrong, the first alert was broadcast to passangers asking for the male to contact reception at around 0315am and not 0430am.

Shortly after we were all asked to remain in our cabins (not many about at that time anyway) whilst an extensive search was carried out. The ship then turned around heading back south towards the tip of the Isle of Wight and various vessels/lifeboats and helicopters could be seen outside.

The lifeboats and Coastguard Helicopter remained with Ventura for several hours searching relentlessly until Ventura was released and it was left in the hands of the Coastguard. On our way back into Southampton we saw fresh lifeboats from the RNLI heading out towards the search area.

There are an awful lot of various, and conflicting, rumours from others who were onboard which i wont post or go into. The Captain and Crew were first class, regular announcements and swift action. Dont see there is anything else that could have been done.

Thankyou Helen. Such a sad end to your cruise. My thoughts are with the family involved.

Having just returned from the 2 night Zeebrugge cruise on Ventura following this incident, we feel that all onboard did their utmost to cope with the very difficult situation following the preceding cruise and did their very best to lessen the disruption to our own cruise and enjoyment as much as was possible in the circumstances. The crew were as usual amazing and so professional.

Edited by Scriv

Having just returned from the 2 night Zeebrugge cruise on Ventura following this incident, we feel that all onboard did their utmost to cope with the very difficult situation following the preceding cruise and did their very best to lessen the disruption to our own cruise and enjoyment as much as was possible in the circumstances. The crew were as usual amazing and so professional.

Glad you had a good cruise Scriv after the trauma of Saturday morning.

Hi Trish - yes, we did, thanks. It was lovely despite the problems of Saturday. We were actually very lucky in so far as we were one of the earlier batch on board at about 4 45pm but many were not so lucky and some boarded very late due to the congestion. Traffic was at a gridlock coming up to the port. We actually got out and walked to the terminal.

Edited by Scriv

Hi Trish - yes, we did, thanks. It was lovely despite the problems of Saturday. We were actually very lucky in so far as we were one of the earlier batch on board at about 4 45pm but many were not so lucky and some boarded very late due to the congestion. Traffic was at a gridlock coming up to the port. We actually got out and walked to the terminal.

Were you in a taxi? You probably did the best thing. We are sailing on Ventura in 12 days. Can't wait.:cool:

No, my friend's husband took us. We had an embarkation time of 1pm and followed instructions to delay our arrival by 3 hours. We had lunch in Southampton and headed for the port but were in stationary traffic near the Triangle car park at about 3 45 and could see the ship from there and also all the gridlock ahead, so got out and walked. We only had little luggage.

Edited by Scriv

No, my friend's husband took us. We had an embarkation time of 1pm and followed instructions to delay our arrival by 3 hours. We had lunch in Southampton and headed for the port but were in stationary traffic near the Triangle car park at about 3 45 and could see the ship from there and also all the gridlock ahead, so got out and walked. We only had little luggage.

Glad you managed to get on quite sharp.:)

How they managed to turn around that ship in those few hours was amazing when you think of what needs to be done disembarking 3000 passengers and embarking the same. We were able to go straight to our cabin, but the luggage didn't arrive until much later ie after Muster Drill. I think Muster Drill happened about 7pm for those on board, but people were still arriving after that. Dining times and show times were obviously amended and relaxed a bit.

Edited by Scriv

We were on this cruise also but we didn't board until about 6.45, we got turned away from the carpark at 3.30 and told to come back at 5.30. They were waiting for passengers to disembark and remove their cars from the CPS site and until that happened there was no space for the new passengers.

We were all given £20 on board credit to buy lunch and were given a glass of wine with dinner.

When we did get on board we found our cabin had already been turned down for the night and are cabin steward said they were still adhering to the black tie dress code. Under the circumstances it would have made it easier if we could have done that the second night as a lot of people hadn't even got their cases delivered by this time so trying to get dressed up was difficult.

Have to say we didn't find it a very good cruise and we usually love P@O, probably the last time we do one of these mini cruises.

Hi Fluffy - yes, it was all a bit of a panic getting dressed for dinner for us too as our case didn't arrive until 7 30pm with the gladrags in. This obviously detracted from the usual enjoyment of a relaxed getting ready for the Black Tie night.

We dressed up a bit for last night too to make up for it a bit and noticed that a lot of people did the same. Did you notice that?

We still enjoyed the cruise though, despite the disruption. Sorry you didn't.

PS We saw people just having disembarked as we were walking to the terminal gone 4pm which fitted in with the check in terminals not opening until about 4 30 ish. I thought communication was good though.

Edited by Scriv

We were on this cruise also but we didn't board until about 6.45, we got turned away from the carpark at 3.30 and told to come back at 5.30. They were waiting for passengers to disembark and remove their cars from the CPS site and until that happened there was no space for the new passengers.

We were all given £20 on board credit to buy lunch and were given a glass of wine with dinner.

When we did get on board we found our cabin had already been turned down for the night and are cabin steward said they were still adhering to the black tie dress code. Under the circumstances it would have made it easier if we could have done that the second night as a lot of people hadn't even got their cases delivered by this time so trying to get dressed up was difficult.

Have to say we didn't find it a very good cruise and we usually love P@O, probably the last time we do one of these mini cruises.

I am not sure whether we will do 2 nighters any more because of the late embarkation times. I have one booked for May but will monitor the new system with interest. I am fully aware that Saturday wasn't a normal day for the Ventura.:(

Agreed that if given a late embarkation time for a 2 night cruise and not being allowed on earlier, it does take quite a large chunk out of the time onboard and out of the holiday and risks making it a less attractive proposition.

(I am not referring to Saturday's delayed boarding on Ventura here)

Edited by Scriv

Agreed that if given a late embarkation time for a 2 night cruise and not being allowed on earlier, it does take quite a large chunk out of the time onboard and out of the holiday and risks making it a less attractive proposition.

(I am not referring to Saturday's delayed boarding on Ventura here)

Yes makes it less desirable having to lose your first afternoon.:(