Silver Shadow vs. Radisson Navigator

Joanandjoe

We've just returned from a fantastic Montreal to NYC jazz cruise on the Radisson Navigator, and are considering a cruise on the Silver Shadow. We'd appreciate your comments comparing the two ships. We know that the food on the Navigator is great, that we received two free bottles of spirits in our room, that there was no tipping, and that all drinks with dinner were included. How does the Silver Shadow compare? The suites appear to be about the same size, and the Silver Shadow seems to include all drinks, not just those with dinner.

Is there entertainment on the Silver Shadow? That isn't clear from the web site.

When we cruised on the Shadow in 2003 the "Production Shows" had been discontinued,so they may have been reinstated since then.

More recent cruisers can comment on this particular aspect.

There were individual performers,and,since the cruise was in the Middle East,folklore groups came onboard at various ports of call.

Personally,I preferred our recent cruise on the Radisson Voyager,if only for it's choice of four restaurants,and the 350 sq.ft. entry level suites.

We had terrific entertainment on the Aug. 29 S'hampton-Boston crossing (Whisper). A very talented, high-energy group of singers and dancers - only 8 of them, but they made up in zest what they lacked in number. Nice lighting and terrific costumes made for a very well-done production. Other nites had a comic (low-key and engaging), and an almost-one-man show from our delightful and oh-so-talented cruise director Michael Gregurich.

No familiarity with the Radisson product/stateroom, but spending 12 days in a SilverWhisper verandah suite was bliss - and we never felt a bit crowded or claustrophobic. And that bathroom....! One sleepless nite, I got up and took a long hot soat (in a tub in which my toes could not touch the end - and I'm 5'10), and then stepped across the marble floor to rinse off in a cooling shower. What a treat!

Yes - allll spirits are included on SS. If your suite stash runs out, it's replenished. (Some high premium liquor brands and very fine wines are extra)

We recently returned from two weeks (12-26 Aug) on the Silver Shadow (Barcelona - Rome) and earlier this year, a three week Raddisson Navigator SA trip. My opinion is as follows:

Embarkation/debarkation- both were efficient with champagne (SS pours Pommery) and we were in our suites within 5 minutes. Same for debarking. I give a slight edge to SS as their ship is smaller- less people, more efficient.

Suites- Raddisson's is slightly larger but configured better. On SS, the makeup consule and mirror are at the foot of a queen sized configured bed, and when in use, requires acrobatics to get from the verendah to the bathroom. Both were well appointed, except SS is starting to show wear. I prefer Raddisson.

Suite amenities- Toiletries- SS uses "Aqua of Palma". The shower gel makes an excellent substitute for forgotten shaving cream. My wife enjoyed them but didn't think they were worth the cost to purchase. Bar set-up- Raddisson deems Wild Turkey Bourbon a premium and only provides one bottle per suite. Not the case with SS. Much prefer SS.

Demographics- On this SS cruise, US types were a minority with mostly Europeans, and Aussies/New Zealanders. Surprisingly, there were many children on board with obviously extended families. SS even had a "childrens corner" set up on sea days. The average age was substantially younger than I expected (We're young 60's). No preference.

Food- Equally good. SS converts the Terrace Cafe into an Italian Restaurant at night which is surprising as there is an "Italian Heritage" selection for lunch and dinner in the Restaurant daily. SS hambugers at the pool grill are the best at sea. I prefer Raddisson only because of the international and area specialities of the alternate restaurants.

Entertainment- SS had a dance troupe and the cruise director playing the piano. When seen once you've seen it all as it repeats the second week. SS also showed a movie twice in the show lounge. Both movies had already screened on the suite TV. Boring. Raddisson has a similiar dance troupe but supplement it with constantly changing solo entertainers arriving and leaving at each port. I much prefer Raddisson.

Public areas- both ships need refurbishment of carpeting near elevators and service entrances.

General- I particularily enjoyed the all inclusiveness of SS. Raddissons charging at bars is irksome and I wish they would revert back to the "Song of Flower" (favorite ship) days. Since entertainment is important to us, I'd be reluctant to cruise back to back on SS.

If anyone has any queries as to ports, or would like more specific info, please feel free to contact me.

Archived