Best time to book holiday cruise?

When is a good time to book a holiday cruise? Due to our schedules, the only block of time we can take off are holidays when cruises are obviously more expensive. We booked our first honeymoon to find out today that prices have dropped and more OBC is offered just a few weeks later :(. We paid already so we know we can't do anything about our current fare.

We want to book a one year anniversary cruise for next year around the same time and was wondering if this is a good time with the 30 percent sale or wait until I am on board in December or wait until last minute next year....

Being on a tight budget, seeing prices go down makes me want to cry and I want to avoid this feeling next year.

Also, what is up with that December 19th cruise- shouldn't it be full?

There is no way to predict when the "best" prices will occur.

If you want to avoid that feeling of not getting the best price next year, you can roll the dice and wait until after final payment date. You take the chance that you won't get the stateroom you want, and/or the prices will go up.

Edited by clarea

Honestly if you are talking Christmas or New Years, the prices that I've always seen have gone up not down. You are best to book as soon as possible then watch the prices. If they go down before final payment you can get the lower price. If not, then you get it for what you paid. But if you really want the cruise, I'd book it. Again, you can always cancel or get a lower price prior to final payment.

Book and place the deposit. Signup for promotional emails and keep checking any offers once they arrive. You can apply any offers before you make the final payment. Use a cruise travel agent and ask for their group pricing, most of the time they have OBC offers and category upgrades.

This will be our 5th year travelling at the holidays and each year has been different as far as pricing goes.

One year I got a great deal 2 weeks prior to sail date while this year I found a great price drop on the Oasis 1 week prior to final payment and the price has gone up by $800 pp since then.

When looking for a Holiday cruise I would suggest having a price set in your mind and if you see it then book. If you catch a price drop later then great, if not then you still feel good about the price that you paid.

Supply and demand...holiday cruise are always in high demand but not that I have not see price changes...

I thought I figured out a trend but alas got screwed...

If you can do it...I'd book the lowest cabin category possible that you would be content with...let's say Oceanview.

If prices change on higher cabins then upgrade accordingly...past final payment...upgrade...but if you book, let's say balcony, other than location on ship, there's not much you can upgrade too (mini suite? not much of an upgrade)...

my 2cents