First night open dining

jwh

I understand the concept of booking in advance for open dining but not sure how it works on the embarkation night. Can we book this in advance somehow or do we need to see the Maitre 'd on the first afternoon or do we just arrive at the dining room that evening unannounced? Sorry if this has been addressed already... I found so many threads but no answer to this specific query. Many thanks.

You can only make reservations once on the ship.

You can either go to the dining room or to the podium set up near the doors of the Lido buffet.

Open Seating is from 5:15 - 9 on the lower level of the dining room. Reservations can be made only for the times between 5:15 - 6:15 and from 7:30 - 9 for any size table you want. You can make reservations for 3 days at a time.

On our last cruise in September, we found the perfect table and crew we loved. We reserved it after 2 nights, for the rest of the cruise. So, I think it depends on a lot of factors. Mainly, the young guy working at the podium, who seemed to enjoy talking and cutting up with us!

On our last cruise in September, we found the perfect table and crew we loved. We reserved it after 2 nights, for the rest of the cruise. So, I think it depends on a lot of factors. Mainly, the young guy working at the podium, who seemed to enjoy talking and cutting up with us!

The same thing happened for us, except it was the Assistant Dining Room Manager. He asked on the 2nd night if we were happy with our waiters (we were) and he made it happen. It's wonderful when that happens, no more need to call for reservations and everyone is happy. We even got 7pm dining time.

The last two times we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam, they had two podiums set up in the Explorer's Lounge to handle MDR requests on embarkation day. It seemed to work well.

Saw this on our TA in 2012, so it's not new - maybe just rare?