Onboard Texting/App?

Ariyel

I am traveling with a group of about 20 people. Anyone have ideas for how to efficiently catch up with people in a group this size or get messages to them while aboard the ship?

Usually we rely on texting, but I'm not sure how practical of a solution that is on board. I don't want to have to purchase a huge internet package or end up with massive cell phone bills.

A friend who cruised on NCL mentioned they had an $8 app that solved this issue. Is there anything similar for HAL? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome!

On a fair number of HAL ships you can get a social media Internet plan for about $10/day. However, if I were in your shoes, I'd find a less expensive way to figure out who was where. $200 per day (20 people @ $10/ day) can be better spent elsewhere.

That's just my opinion. We've managed to muddle through with Post-it notes, "We'll be at the Ocean Bar around 7," and many other uses of ancient and mystic runes.

There's a social media plan if you need it, but you can probably do without. (Spend the $200 on Champagne. Some people might complain, but it's just nature's way of thinning the herd. )

To continue with this, yes you can use SMS/text messages. But.....it will not be free nor cheep. A nephew of mine, BIL, and SIL used SMS to communicate. My brother in law said, it was okay, as they had unlimited text messages. A month later the cell phone bill was $1,600 in text messages.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think we'll muddle through with cabin phones, post its, dinner, and word of mouth. The ships are big, but not THAT big, after all!

I just wanted to see if there was a tool out there for this purpose that I wasn't aware of. Perhaps HAL will come out with an app similar to NCL's in the future!

And POA1, I like your spending priorities. Give me champagne over the electronic leash any day!