Please beware of Priceline.com

southwardbound

You can check a thousand sites and what is a 5-star to one is a 4-star to another, a 4-star to one is a 3-star to another, etc., etc., etc.

Trip Advisor is not 100%, either. I actually wrote a review on a NY hotel on Trip Advisor raving about the hotel while others wrote that they abhored the same hotel. Go figure.

Everything's relative, but, personally, I would never book anything but a 4-star on Priceline or Hotwire. ;)

I usually book at least a 2 star on both priceline and hotwire, I rarely get anything less than a 3 star, doubletree in San Diego for $40.00/ Sheraton suites in Key west for $60.00. I have gotten a holiday inn express in Fort Lauderdale, which was probably the worst hotel I ever got on priceline or hotwire, but that was only $25.00. When they tell you your odds of getting a room for that price are low, ignore that warning, that's how you get the great deals.

Please be careful when using Priceline.com. I agreed to a 3 star hotel. The hotel I received is NOT a 3 star hotel according to reviews from Trip advisor and others. I will use only 4 star ratings if I ever do use Priceline again.:mad:

Thanks for the information southwardbound.

bummer about the hotel. Did you do your research on the hotels that you might get before bidding. If you check at http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com you can get a pretty good idea what is available for the star level and area you are bidding for.

I've had excellent luck with priceline, but I do know that the is an element of risk when I'm buying a "blind" hotel room.

Archived