First RCCL Cruise: Terrible Disappointment

Oxman

Yes, my complaints began on day 2. And in fact, my disappointment is mostly centered around the quality of the food and the service in the dining room. There is no other way of saying it: the food is not good.

I'll say it again: the food is awful.

The service crew in the dining room is disorganized. Food takes way too long to arrive, and it's usually cold when it gets to the table.

I sense the hostility in the replies that I would dare say anything bad about the Holy Royal. However, this first experience on the line has me wondering. What I'm wondering is if this is par for RCI, or if this all one can expect on a ship based in Asia.

Yes, my complaints began on day 2. And in fact, my disappointment is mostly centered around the quality of the food and the service in the dining room. There is no other way of saying it: the food is not good.

The service crew in the dining room is disorganized. Food takes way too long to arrive, and it's usually cold when it gets to the table.

I sense the hostility in the replies that I would dare say anything bad about the Holy Royal. However, this first experience on the line has me wondering. What I'm wondering is if this is par for RCI, or if this all one can expect on a ship based in Asia.

Food is very subjective, but it sounds like you got the bumb rap this cruise in relation to food in the MDR. We have had a few great meals, many good meals and a few that were "miss" meals. It sounds as though you have the "D' Team serving you from table side and maybe as far as the kitchen.

Perhaps try another venue, as as the WJ to see if it improves there. It mght not be what you where expecting, but if you are happier with the quality and temperature of the food it just might be the place to eat.

I hope it improves for you.

• Like 1

I don't know if you have read all of the replies.

Go speak to your Head Waiter about the speed of your service and the temperature of the food.

My taste for another RCCL cruise is largely colored by the comments about Carnival cruisers. The insults about Carnival cruisers make RCCL loyalists appears haughty. Even before I stepped out of my car at the pier I was ready for the disapproved looks at any point my history with Carnival was brought up. I was feeling defensive from the very start. If I never sail with the line again, this forum will have a part to do with that.

I'm putting together a review which I'll post later. I can say that our experience with our cruise was better than the OP's.

Some people here really build RC up as if RC is so much better than Carnival. Most of them probably haven't even been on a Carnival cruise and others are judging based on one experience :rolleyes: Well people have bad RC experiences too but when they come here to tell about it they are clobbered by some here. I think the bashing leads to The expectations of Carnival cruisers that DO want to try Royal being raised higher and when they do try Royal they find its really not a lot of differences at all. Royal does some things wonderful but I'm sure so does Carnival or they wouldn't be filling all the ships they fill every week.

I'm looking forward to Magic. I'm ready to try something different. My last Royal experience was just ok whereas three years ago on the same ship and those RC cruises before it were excellent. I don't like Royals new drink prices. I feel like the Chops steakhouse experience has really spiraled downward and I think it's hideous they now charge even more for a "better" steak. Service is very hit or miss all over and I feel the food quality in the MDR has went down. None of that will stop me from cruising RC totally because I've got to try an Oasis class ship before I die but I have to say I'm looking forward to a change for now and will not for a second let those here who bash Carnival sway me.

Ill be looking forward to your review of Royal from a Carnival cruisers view.

Edited by ryano

Almost 60 posts in, Merion Mom's post #33 still offers the best advice. OP, you might not be able to resolve all of your issues, but this certainly provides a blueprint for success.

Absolutely. Not to mention she is a C&A Pinnacle member (not a secret on these boards) and knows of what she speaks. :)

U

Absolutely. Not to mention she is a C&A Pinnacle member (not a secret on these boards) and knows of what she speaks. :)

There are several here whose word I'll "take to the bank" when it comes to all things RC. MM is definitely one of those people :)

Clarea, crusenfever, wolfcathorse, you. Heck, I could go on :D

Edited by ryano

Like I said, don't compare RCCL sailing from Asia vs Carnaval sailing from the US. If you want a direct comparison on even grounds, take an RCCL cruise sailing from US as well as it caters to similar market demographics.

I've taken cruises both in US and Asia and the culture is really different, RCCL's crew also changes depending on the market region.

The first time I've taken an Asian RCCL cruise in 2012 via Mariner, I got culture shocked and my main complaint is food is horrible as well. That I ended up eating at specialty restaurants often. As food appeals to the local demographics here.

But I have already taken many Asia RCCL cruises since then and have adapted.

Whatever causing people who are used to cruising in western markets complain when they take Asia cruises for the first time is working quite well for the mainly Chinese demographics here.. that many of the ships here in Asia ended up being chartered and they are making money that now even NCL and Princess are sending their hottest new ships to Asia to challenge Quantum.

Among all western cruise lines that came to Asia, RCCL has done best in rewiring their ships, service, and sailing duration to adapt to the Asian market that is why it feels different here and they are the greatest threat to long time NCL owned Asian operator Star Cruises who has been in Asia for a long time before RCCL and other western cruise lines start coming in.

Edited by roquejo

(from his roll call)

He seemed to be prepared for a difficult embarkation in Hong Kong. And for the fact that it is a repositioning cruise. At least he THOUGHT that he was. ;) :)

I know from personal experience how easy it is to totally forget things that you knew at one point before travel started. :o

NO. Do not "email Royal Caribbean".

You are on board the ship. Go to the appropriate people with your problems.....

Problem with food? Talk to the Food & Beverage Manager.

With food, talk with your servers first! Our servers really wanted to help us find things we were happy with.

There is no other way of saying it: the food is not good.

What are you eating? Have you talked with the servers? Have you asked if there's anything they can do?

If you're not seeing an allowance for problems with Royal in the replies, then you aren't reading this thread. Read the replies again. There's a lot of good info here and solid expectations for Royal, *as well as* totally subjective, based on peoples' actual experiences, stories of quality.

What you are experiencing is on par with how Royal is. If it´s not to your satisfaction you should just move on and return to what you like better.

What you are experiencing is on par with how Royal is. If it´s not to your satisfaction you should just move on and return to what you like better.

Not necessarily.

Food is not "awful" unless you're used to dining at the fanciest of restaurants at home.

Service is not usually that "disorganized". Usually the first night is pretty rough service wise, but after that, it always improves (at least for us).

The food was cold and horrible, unedible, dining room service was horrible, well let's just be nice and say flat out ...I DON'T BELIEVE YOU.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not necessarily.

Food is not "awful" unless you're used to dining at the fanciest of restaurants at home.

Service is not usually that "disorganized". Usually the first night is pretty rough service wise, but after that, it always improves (at least for us).

I never said the Food is awful or the Service is disorganized on RCI. I actually am very satisfied with their Food and Service.

I just said what the OP experienced is Standard RCI and if unhappy as stated he should run away form his dissatisfaction and Keep cruising other lines.

Some people here really build RC up as if RC is so much better than Carnival. Most of them probably haven't even been on a Carnival cruise and others are judging based on one experience :rolleyes: .....

.... but I have to say I'm looking forward to a change for now and will not for a second let those here who bash Carnival sway me.

We have never been on a Carnival ship, but we are considering it. I slip over to the CCL boards every few days (I know.... :eek:) and check out reviews. I'm very tempted by some of their itineraries. We don't cruise for the ports (solely) or for the ship (solely). We cruise for the entire experience! I also consider the overall value of the package an important part of our decision process. I had in my mind that CCL was the bargain cruise line, and maybe that was the case at some point a couple of years ago. But when I compare prices for similar cabins, same time of year, on similarly sized ships, I'm not seeing CCL to be the "cheap" option I had assumed it would be for the so-called walmart cruise line.

It seems the OP boarded on a sour note, and were continually disappointed on Day 1, and it has left them wondering what all the hoopla was about over Royal. I get that. If he had posted on CC seeking advice rather than what has been perceived as a rant, though, I think the responses would've been much different from some. Hopefully he can get the issues resolved while still on the ship by speaking to the appropriate department manager(s).

We were certainly looking forward to adding RCCL to our cruising toolkit. However, if this ship and voyage are what the company is putting forward, count this as my LAST cruise on this brand. EVER.

I think of RCCL loyalists as football fans. Some people can handle hearing about things their team needs to do to improve...some not so much. But if you walk into Cowboys party wearing Eagles colors and talking smack...you're going to get a some pushback, regardless of whether your point is valid or not. If you decide a cruiseline is not for you, then good for you that you can narrow down your choices and find options you are happy with on another line.

My taste for another RCCL cruise is largely colored by the comments about Carnival cruisers.... If I never sail with the line again, this forum will have a part to do with that.

As the parent of teenagers, I'm constantly reminded that once you grow up, you are in the wonderful position of not having to worry about other people's opinions. Don't mean that in a negative way, just that people can be very passionate in their loyalties, but it doesn't have to negatively impact me at all if I chose to not let it. One of my best friends is a regular Carnival cruiser -- and a Steelers fan -- and I still acknowledge her in public. ;) She wouldn't step foot on RCCL because she loves Carnival; I'm looking forward to our second RCCL cruise with no plans of checking out Carnival. We have discussed pros and cons for both lines, but are about as likely to trade lines as we are to trade jerseys.

Like I said, don't compare RCCL sailing from Asia vs Carnaval sailing from the US. If you want a direct comparison on even grounds, take an RCCL cruise sailing from US as well as it caters to similar market demographics.

I've taken cruises both in US and Asia and the culture is really different, RCCL's crew also changes depending on the market region.

The first time I've taken an Asian RCCL cruise in 2012 via Mariner, I got culture shocked and my main complaint is food is horrible as well. That I ended up eating at specialty restaurants often. As food appeals to the local demographics here.

But I have already taken many Asia RCCL cruises since then and have adapted.

Whatever causing people who are used to cruising in western markets complain when they take Asia cruises for the first time is working quite well for the mainly Chinese demographics here.. that many of the ships here in Asia ended up being chartered and they are making money that now even NCL and Princess are sending their hottest new ships to Asia to challenge Quantum.

Among all western cruise lines that came to Asia, RCCL has done best in rewiring their ships, service, and sailing duration to adapt to the Asian market that is why it feels different here and they are the greatest threat to long time NCL owned Asian operator Star Cruises who has been in Asia for a long time before RCCL and other western cruise lines start coming in.

This is a good post. In order to properly compare Carnival to Royal, you need to try a more typical Caribbean sailing from Florida.

Firstly, because it seems that Asia cruises are much different than the cruises we are all used to. And secondly, because I've read time and time again that repositioning cruise can have their problems.

I never said the Food is awful or the Service is disorganized on RCI. I actually am very satisfied with their Food and Service.

I just said what the OP experienced is Standard RCI and if unhappy as stated he should run away form his dissatisfaction and Keep cruising other lines.

Yes I know what you meant, but I replied with "not necessarily" because what the OP is describing does not sound like a typical Royal cruise IMO. But maybe the OP just has way higher standards than my own. However, that doesn't really make sense because if he was satisfied with Carnival, Royal should be pretty similar. Not to say that the OP should like Royal because he liked Carnival, but the lines are very comparable.

To me, this does not sound like a typical Royal Caribbean cruise.

I think of RCCL loyalists as football fans. Some people can handle hearing about things their team needs to do to improve...some not so much. But if you walk into Cowboys party wearing Eagles colors and talking smack...you're going to get a some pushback, regardless of whether your point is valid or not. If you decide a cruiseline is not for you, then good for you that you can narrow down your choices and find options you are happy with on another line.

As the parent of teenagers, I'm constantly reminded that once you grow up, you are in the wonderful position of not having to worry about other people's opinions. Don't mean that in a negative way, just that people can be very passionate in their loyalties, but it doesn't have to negatively impact me at all if I chose to not let it. One of my best friends is a regular Carnival cruiser -- and a Steelers fan -- and I still acknowledge her in public. ;) She wouldn't step foot on RCCL because she loves Carnival; I'm looking forward to our second RCCL cruise with no plans of checking out Carnival. We have discussed pros and cons for both lines, but are about as likely to trade lines as we are to trade jerseys.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people take anything said that is derogatory against a cruise line and treat it like a personal attack. I've seen this on every Cruise Critic board that I've read. Fodder for at least 5 Doctoral theses';). I haven't sailed RCCL yet but hope to one day and I am certain that I'll find it very similar to my experiences with the competition.

Unfortunately, aboard Voyager of the Seas from Hong Kong to Singapore, we have been experiencing a terrible letdown.

The food and service are, in a word, horrific.

the food in Windjammer is tasteless and unappealing

Not sure how RCCL changed the menu for Asia, but I can see how people used to central Luzon cuisine would be disappointed with cruise food. All the good Filipino food is saved for the crew.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people take anything said that is derogatory against a cruise line and treat it like a personal attack. I've seen this on every Cruise Critic board that I've read. Fodder for at least 5 Doctoral theses';). I haven't sailed RCCL yet but hope to one day and I am certain that I'll find it very similar to my experiences with the competition.

I agree but as another poster said, I think in most cases it takes a little smack talk to get other's fur up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the JoS out of California for a California Coastal. We had a rather small flat-screen TV and I finally gave up trying to read the room service menu. It would flash by too fast, then I'd have to sit through a dozen screen shots of other information before the room service menu would swing by again. I wanted to contemplate my choices and I didn't really have the opportunity.

Next time, take a picture of the menu on screen and then read it that way. Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Not sure how RCCL changed the menu for Asia, but I can see how people used to central Luzon cuisine would be disappointed with cruise food. All the good Filipino food is saved for the crew.

I can speak for that as I've just taken the previous Voyager sailing last Oct. It's a fusion of several Asian cuisines.

Admittedly my last cruise, in which 90% of the guests are chinese, the food is the least among my 3 Voyager cruises. One thing is they serve you warm water by default as that is what the Chinese guests like and you specifically have to ask for ice water.

My previous 2 Voyager Asia cruises before this, in which the demographics is more on mixed international and less chinese... the food is actually better and they segregate Chinese and non Chinese on separate floors so you get more of RCCL international standard menu if you seat on the non Chinese section.

The bottom line is it really depends on guest demographics and RCCL is good in adapting to it.

So if you are caught in a sailing that is close to around 80-95% Chinese... you have no choice but to adapt to the food standard/culture of the majority.

Edited by roquejo