Tuxedos

Rubinof

What is the percentage ,of gentlemen wearing tuxedos, to the formal dinners? I have seen more and more folks attired, in this manner. Mostly, though, on the extended cruises. We are booked on a week long cruise, to Bermuda, and were wondering what, to do.

I say bring the tuxedo. We had three out of five men at our table in tuxedos on formal nights on our Century cruise. Probably half of the men wore tuxedos overall. Our cruise on the Galaxy was so long ago that I don't remember.

I've noticed on both Celebrity and Princess that the male repeat cruisers--at least those who attend the cocktail parties for repeat cruisers--or more likely to wear tuxedos than the overall percentage of male passengers on the ship.

We were on Horizon to Bermuda in early Sept & I can say that I saw fewer tuxes on that cruise than I have seen on any earlier. Dress for all nights was "less" than I have seen previously. We saw capri's & tshirts for informal (not casual nite) jeans & yes, shorts for casual nite, and not a lot of what I would consider formal wear on the formal nites. I hope that this is not going to become the trend, but that's just me. If you want to wear a tux, you will not be the only one, but you may be in the minority.

My observation on the 9/3/05 12 night cruise on the Infinity is that the percentage of tuxes is going down. I'd estimate that past cruises on X were greater than 50%. On this cruise I'd say it was 30-40%. In the samw way there was a lot of casual dress on the informal nights. I'm sorry to see it going this way. I kind of enjoy the formal atmosphere for a few nights on the cruise.

Celebrity suggest that the recommended attire be the attire for the entire evening on the ship. I'd say that this has slipped even more. I think a lot of people go back to casual after their formal dinner.

My husband purchased a tuxedo for about 125. for everything and has already worn it enough times that more money would have been spent on renting then just buying it. I would not worry about how many other people are actually wearing tuxes in the dining room. It is reccomended and it is your cruise so if you would like to see your hubby in a tux just go for it and buy one. I have never noticed what other cruisers are wearing so I doubt that the "majority" of cruisers would notice what you are wearing.

I have only been on one cruise (Norfolk to Bermuda 8 days cruise) and worried incessantly about the dress code. Turns out, it was no big deal. On "Formal" night we saw men in dress slacks with no jacket, jackets with no ties, etc. The only men I saw in a tux were the waiters! The women weren't dressed up as much as I'd expected either. My husband wore a black suit with a tie and I had on a long skirt with a dressy top and we were almost overdressed! Unless you are at the Captain's table, I don't think they really care how you are dressed. Dress smartly and have a great time!

Bermudagrl

Celebrity Horizon

June 4-11th, 2005:cool:

Archived