What Determines Which Cruise You Book?

BassettMom

I have to disagree that a cruise is always better than a land trip. Some places really lend themselves more to exploration by land -- including many European countries (exception of Greece), Israel, Turkey, China, etc. Other places are great for cruising -- Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, Norwegian Fjords, SE Asia, Tahiti, etc.

Interesting that you have SE Asia on this list. It's on my hit list for 2017, but Cambodia and Vietnam seemed better to do by land, so I ditched the cruise idea.

I guess if an area is viewed as a once and done...even a Med cruise will work. It would seem SE Asia could be viewed through the same lens....intensive country by country or a smattering of sites in each country.

Interesting that you have SE Asia on this list. It's on my hit list for 2017, but Cambodia and Vietnam seemed better to do by land, so I ditched the cruise idea.

I guess if an area is viewed as a once and done...even a Med cruise will work. It would seem SE Asia could be viewed through the same lens....intensive country by country or a smattering of sites in each country.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia -- all relatively easy to see from a cruise. It also helps if the ship you are on is small enough to get close to some of the major ports (like Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City) and not be several hours' drive away....

Also, it's quite easy to arrange to spend pre- or post- cruise time in Cambodia or Vietnam. We spent about 5 days in Cambodia (at Siem Reap) and in Bangkok.

We look for value priced cruises that we can wrap around or include in a land tour. We often do one way air for this very reason and we usually purchase crushes inside the final payment window. Itinerary, ship, and value are far more important to us than cruise line.

We are cruising less now. We find that cruising does not give us enough time or freedom to see the sights/experience the locale. Often a cruise serves as a break from independent land travel. We will do Caribbean to get some heat in the winter. Right now we are watching for SA and Asian cruises.

Few of the given reasons stand alone: itinerary and time of year are usually linked: no one thinks Alaska in winter, and few consider Caribbean in September. While ship is very important (at least in a negative way - there being some I will most likely want to avoid under virtually any circumstance), other variables impact that. The ideal itinerary, at an ideal time of year at a very good price, for top of the line accomodations (Haven, or whatever) might get me aboard NCL Epic or Breakaway --- but without those conditions: no way!

Because each specific factor gains or loses importance given the relationship/interaction of other factors, I think it is impossible to put it in any place in order of importance.

Price, for instance, is meaningless as a factor without considering the value received for that price - and comparing it with the value anticipated on other choices.

Itinerary first and foremost, on a suitable ship for the area...i.e. not a Caribbean fun palace with all the activities on an uncovered deck for northern climates.....

.....except for last minute cruising, when we opt for the ship at a great price, and don't mind that Casablanca's yet again on the list....:rolleyes:

Well said, Ms. Sunburn!!! I like that about not sailing the same ship twice--there's too many!

Thanks Getaway Girl. I know, right? There's already too much choice out there.

I don't cruise every vacation for the same reason. While I love to cruise, it's not the best way to experience a large destination (i.e. one with more than a beach and a few t-shirt stands). I learned that the hard way on my last Mediterranean cruise.

1. Almost always due to school, sports, and work schedules, the first priority is timing. We usually have a certain time and length that the cruise needs to fit.

The rest of the priorities can vary in the spot they are on our priority list based on the type of vacation we are looking for:

If we are planning a family vacation then we will be looking for 2 rooms, inside to balcony, a ship with activities our kids at whatever age they are would enjoy, and itineraries that they would like to visit, usually with something new for us either the ship, a port, or the embarkation port. We would also look for a port that we could drive to in a day or be able to have the timing built in to drive for 2 days if I can't find a good deal on airline tickets. Once we have a list of ships that fit these priorities we look at pricing.

If we are planning a couple vacation then we will usually be looking for a balcony. After that we look for something new for us either the ship, a port, or the embarkation port. Once we have a list of ships that fit what we are looking for we look at pricing.

Cruise Line usually does not play a part in our decision unless we have a FCC that we need to use. Our past cruises have had various top priorities after timing. For example:

Disney Wonder, Magic and NCL Epic were picked because of the ships themselves and what they offered for activities and entertainment. Price was not much of a factor with the exception of NCL Epic which was up against RCL Oasis same itinerary, same time, same type room but was $1000 less.

CCL Inspiration, CCL Glory, and NCL Jewel (2nd time) were picked for their embarkation ports, then itinerary, then price.

CCL Elation, NCL Jewel, CCL Freedom (both times) were picked for their itineraries and then price.

CCL Destiny, CCL Splendor and Ruby Princess were best fits in our calendar with an itinerary/ship/price that most interested us at that time...there really wasn't anything specific we were looking for those vacations other than making the timing work.

Well said, Ms. Sunburn!!! I like that about not sailing the same ship twice--there's too many!

I have not problem sailing the same ship 2x if we liked the ship the first time (CCL Freedom 2x and NCL Jewel 2x)...I do try to make sure though that some part of the cruise is new to us, either the embarkation port, a port on the itinerary, or the ship itself.