1st cruise ever: Treasure Islands 1/23/16

Steerage2016

Hello everyone,

Just booked our first-ever cruise and trip to the Carribean. Chose Star Clipper because the "big" cruise ship experience doesn't appeal to us. As you might expect I have lots of questions and look forward to hearing any and all advice &/or suggestions you all have for a newbie.

We will be on St. Maartin for 2 days prior to embarcation, would love your ideas for things to do, places to go to make the most of our time.

We don't dive but enjoy peaceful beaches (no aggressive peddlers or jet skis please!), snorkeling and hiking.

Does anyone know if motor scooters are readily available to rent on St. M?

Thanks all,

Sue

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if motor scooters are readily available to rent on St. M?

Thanks all,

Sue

Not sure about hiring motor scooters (you probably can) but you can hire a Harley Davidson if that is of any interest!

• 2 months later...

I have only stayed on St Maarten for short visits and have relied on the cheap (2-3 USD) minibuses that ply the main routes. I was not impressed by famous Orient Beach -- I much prefer the Dutch beaches, especially Mullet Bay (superb and easy to reach by minibus). Maho Beach at the west end of airport runway is a must -- to watch jumbo jets land right overhead. The beach bar is very popular in season. See you on the Clipper. Ed S.

We did the Treasure Island cruise last year and stayed in SXM at Holland House. Phillipsburg Great Bay Beach is beautiful. We did go over to Simpson Bay one night to eat out. On our way home we went early to the airport, checked our bags and headed to Sunset Bar & Grill for lunch and to watch the airplanes land over Maho Beach.

How are you enjoying your time on the Star Clipper? We also have a 1st time cruise coming up but it is in December (a long way aways!) and on the Royal Clipper.

We're really looking forwards to it, but would also love to hear anything about the other Star Clippers ships/cruises.

:):):)