Time to arrive at Miami Port on day of cruise

lawyerchica86

Any suggestions on when to arrive at the Miami port on the day of our cruise? We are first time cruisers and are cruising on NCL. We'll be on the Escape for the second cruise to the Caribbean. Do new cruise ships usually mean longer lines to check-in at the port? Thanks!

You can arrive any time you like up to the cut off. There is typically a rush at the opening of checkin, because, as I suspect it will be with you, many people are really excited about cruising, and can't wait to get on.

The cruise lines do this boarding thing every day. they are pretty good about making it pretty smooth and efficient. So even if there is a little bit of a line at the start, things usually move along quite well.

Yes there can be long lines to board people want to get on ASAP to get their monies worth

We prefer to wait until 1pm or later

As long as you get there 2 hr prior to sail away you should be fine

YMMV

yes there can be long lines to board people want to get on asap to get their monies worth

we prefer to wait until 1pm or later

as long as you get there 2 hr prior to sail away you should be fine

ymmv

amen :D :D :D

Edited by Capt_BJ

Any suggestions on when to arrive at the Miami port on the day of our cruise? We are first time cruisers and are cruising on NCL. We'll be on the Escape for the second cruise to the Caribbean. Do new cruise ships usually mean longer lines to check-in at the port? Thanks!

As first time cruisers, you should arrive the day before you cruise.

In the summer and fall, thunderstorms can shut down airports and a bad thunderstorm in Atlanta or NYC will shut down air travel all over the country.

In winter and spring, snow storms will do the same thing.

As first time cruisers, you should arrive the day before you cruise.

In the summer and fall, thunderstorms can shut down airports and a bad thunderstorm in Atlanta or NYC will shut down air travel all over the country.

In winter and spring, snow storms will do the same thing.

Hmmm...you're saying to arrive at the POM the day before the cruise...Sorry this is how I read your suggestion based on the OP's question.:eek::D

Hmmm...you're saying to arrive at the POM the day before the cruise...Sorry this is how I read your suggestion based on the OP's question.:eek::D

Oops! You are exactly right!

Rereading I realized that they are asking what time to arrive at port not what time they should arrive in Miami!

OP ignore my post. You would get really bored there waiting for 24 hours.

Edited by BlueHerons

oops! You are exactly right!

Rereading i realized that they are asking what time to arrive at port not what time they should arrive in miami!

Op ignore my post. You would get really bored there waiting for 24 hours.

Too funny...but they would be first in line :)

Edited by Ashland

In terms of the port itself, I would arrive around 10:30 AM. You will turn your luggage other than hand luggage over to the porter. You then will wait to board.

If you are flying or coming a long distance by car I would arrive to Miami at least one day before and stay at a hotel.

Enjoy your cruise.

Keith

And, come on!! They are about to go on their first cruise. They would have to be on a mood control med to not want to be there first thing to get on the ship....

but arriving early & having to sit around the terminal on hard chairs (if there are any left) for an hour or more could really change their mood

Then get onboard & enter the food frenzy to try to get lunch ;)

Much better to get there later & avoid the hassles

Much better depends on the person.

For me much better is early not late. So it goes.

Keith

but you are probably not sitting in the terminal for an hour+ waiting to board ;)

to each his own

Yep but I am not sitting in some hotel room either.

Keith

There is no reason to sit in the hotel room

we store our bags with the front desk go out looking around & have lunch someplace where elbow pads are not required

It is an option for people to consider ...it may not not work for everyone

We usually get up, go for a nice breakfast, head back to the hotel to finish getting ready, check out and grab a cab around 10:15 am to head to the port. Since we've already had breakfast we get to the ship, hand the luggage to the porter, check-in and then head to the pool to enjoy quite a few hours at the quiet pool while everyone else waits for the Windjammer to open.

We've never really encountered too much of a wait to check-in and the pool is always pretty quiet for a few hours. So many seem to board early and then head for food. :)

Edited by aurelius180

We usually try to time our arrival at the port to somewhere between 11:00 and noon, so that we avoid having to spend much time actually waiting in the terminal & to board as early as possible. The sooner you board, the sooner you can partake in all that the ship has to offer - explore, grab some lunch, quench your thirst. Sometimes the cabins aren't immediately available for occupancy, but usually they're ready by 1-ish, in our experience.