Regal vs Royal

happytovacation

I have been on the Royal now thinking of sailing on the Regal. Does anybody know the difference between both ships. Loved the Royal.

Thank You :)

There are a few subtle differences. One is that the main theater has aisles down the outer walls as well as the center aisle. They also put in a small pool at the aft of the ship.

As prior poster said, very few differences and very minor ones. In addition to the two mentioned above, the Princess Live on the Regal has Windows and an extra back aisle and exit door. We enjoyed the little aft pool on the Regal, yes it is small but the views are excellent and we just sit in the splash area anyhow. And with the extra aisle it made getting in and out of the Princess theater much easier

And the Regal has a narrow walkway down part of the outside promenade deck that is closed off on the Royal.

But, basically they are the same ship design. If you liked one, you would like the other.

.......and we do.

I'm not sure if the Royal has this (I'll have to check in November) but other Princess ships I have been on has a tray that's hidden in the arm rest. Kind of reminds me of the front row coach seats on airplanes. I was balancing a drink once and another passenger pointed it out to me.

I'm not sure if the Royal has this (I'll have to check in November) but other Princess ships I have been on has a tray that's hidden in the arm rest. Kind of reminds me of the front row coach seats on airplanes. I was balancing a drink once and another passenger pointed it out to me.

The Royal and Regal do not have drink holders or trays in the theater.:)

And I assume this has affected the sale of beverages in that venue.

I would think that people could survive a 30-45 minute show without a drink and Princess would probably recoup the drink sale after or before the show.:)

I would think that people could survive a 30-45 minute show without a drink and Princess would probably recoup the drink sale after or before the show.:)

Before the show people are often there for 20 minutes or more. Bar staff goes through the audience taking orders for beverages before the show starts.

Before the show people are often there for 20 minutes or more. Bar staff goes through the audience taking orders for beverages before the show starts.

Yes, I know all too well. They take the order but don't deliver before the show starts. There have been times when we were disturbed during a show by a waiter trying to pass a drink down the row. There was another time when I needed to use the rest room, and the drinks and tables hindered my exit from the row.

Most people enjoy their drinks in a comfortable lounge. Princess isn't losing any liquor revenue by not having the drink tables in the seats. Those that want to drink will drink. :)

As prior poster said, very few differences and very minor ones. In addition to the two mentioned above, the Princess Live on the Regal has Windows and an extra back aisle and exit door. We enjoyed the little aft pool on the Regal, yes it is small but the views are excellent and we just sit in the splash area anyhow. And with the extra aisle it made getting in and out of the Princess theater much easier

Is the aft pool on Regal the same as the aft Terrace pool on the Emerald? That is our favorite area on Emerald, with the close bar service & the fantastic view!

I do think that the lack of drink holders would reduce drink sales in the theater. Even the fold out holders in the seat are clumsy. The best are the theater seats on Celebrity's M class ships which have small cocktail tables & in addition aisles wide enough for people to pass through the row with a minimum of disruption.

Is the aft pool on Regal the same as the aft Terrace pool on the Emerald? That is our favorite area on Emerald, with the close bar service & the fantastic view!

No, it is not nearly as large as the aft pool on the Emerald. I don't have a photo (perhaps someone else can help) it is a small pool with a splash area around it.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

The aft pool on the Regal is hardly a pool. It can comfortably hold about 3 people. I really think it's quite pointless. Unless you're one of the lucky 3 who get to use it. The best aft pool is on the Caribbean Princess!

Just got off the REGAL on Tuesday, after sailing on the 10nt repositioning trip from New York.

The aft pool was installed in an attempt to satisfy those who were honked off about the ROYAL not having an aft pool. It's very much an afterthought. The pool itself is really just to get in and cool off; you really can't swim in it. Having it is better than having nothing at all, but it doesn't take very many people to fill it up. More than, say, six people and it's pretty full. Timing is everything.

It's interesting to note that the aft pool, which is on Sun Deck (Deck 17), is right in the middle of one of the smoking areas. For that reason we hardly went there. The one time we did get in the pool we waited until later in the day when most people were getting ready for dinner, and the number of smokers had dwindled down to just a few.

If you've only been on one of the two ships and liked it, you'll like the other.

Yes, I know all too well. They take the order but don't deliver before the show starts.

We once saw a bar steward put a drink temporarily on the stage. The show started before he got it delivered and the stage crew were awfully sore with him...Do not know if his career survived this bone-headed move.

Steve